West Marine rigging shop Rock Hill SC

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Considering a trip from NJ to SC to pick up my anchor rode after splicing job. If anyone else has anything to either bring back or take down, I'm happy to save you at least half the shipping cost.

My line will cost about 19.00 to ship down. It's coming back with chain so it'll be a lot heavier. I drive for uShip (hobby business) and am unafraid of a trip, especially since I'll be taking someone else's stuff down and bringing other stuff back so it's nothing to me to carry along a small roll of rope, etc.

My schedule is flexible - anything between now and end-of-April-ish. I leave from central southern NJ and go right past the Chespeake and Pamlico Sound to north central SC (via I-95 or I-81) and then back the same way. If you're anywhere along the route, before you've sorted out your dates (and WM's lead time), do get in touch and we'll see if I can help you out.
If you'd prefer, message me on here or, better, email me directly. :dancing:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I can ship a diesel engine or a barrel of ½" chain from the US to Trinidad for around $150.00. How can it be affordable for you to drive down to SC to pick up some line and chain, or do you just love road trips?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Who ships line from NJ to SC to be spliced onto chain then drives down and picks it up to avoid a shipping cost? That must be awfully nice chain or the splice has to be a work of art and in no way should it be dropped in the water.

Get some local G43 chain from a supply shop in Jersey. Buy some 8 plait braid rode and turn on the youtube. It is not that difficult. You learn a skill that you can use again. It may not turn out all pretty like a professional but you can do it again and again till you master the skill. It is not hard.

And even your first try should be sound enough to hold your H25 in place over night.

Suspect you have folk in the Burlington area that have spliced rode to chain before and you might get to make a new friend...

But there may be other factors involved that are not being shared. A girl or a guy to say hi to along the way...
ROAD TRIP..

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Speaking of road trips ... does anyone have a lead on New York to Florida boat haulers. I may be looking to fill a return trip to FL hopefully for a reduced rate.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Come on, folks.... read his post..., He HAS loads going both ways already. "The Company" may be picking up the gas tab.

I live in Annapolis, and they DO have a rigging person- Julius. Sounds like you have your loads worked out, but you could probably get one-day service if you call ahead. It does not take long. . AND we have BARS ! Stop in for an overnight if you need to. Is your line 3-strand, or ??? Long splice or short splice onto the chain. I take it you're getting a good deal on the chain down south.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I always like it when people *assume* someone is crazy, for an idea of which they haven't heard details yet, simply because they can't comprehend it themselves. Oh; wait - no; I don't like that at all. :frown:

('You couldn't believe what you couldn't conceive, and so you thought me crazy', I wrote in a song once. For a girl. And yes; she dumped me. Hence the song.)

In fact I spoke with a guy called John at the Rock Hill shop and, even though I asked (perhaps only obliquely), he did not mention there was anyone at Annapolis who spliced 8-plait to anything. Also the store up here in NJ said the same thing - that it all goes to Rock Hill. I have since learnt on my own (not here; but thanks, Ron) that Julius does do this work (which my regular rigger does not) and that's where I'll take it.

So - offer rescinded; and I'm sorry to have weirded people out with the idea. :frown:

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I have since learnt on my own (not here; but thanks, Ron) that Julius does do this work (which my regular rigger does not) and that's where I'll take it.:frown:
Drop me a PM and we'll get together. I'm in Eastport/Annapolis. Have you bought the chain? Bacons might have a better price. I assume you're getting alot of chain?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I always like it when people *assume* someone is crazy, for an idea of which they haven't heard details yet, simply because they can't comprehend it themselves. Oh; wait - no; I don't like that at all. :frown:

('You couldn't believe what you couldn't conceive, and so you thought me crazy', I wrote in a song once. For a girl. And yes; she dumped me. Hence the song.)

In fact I spoke with a guy called John at the Rock Hill shop and, even though I asked (perhaps only obliquely), he did not mention there was anyone at Annapolis who spliced 8-plait to anything. Also the store up here in NJ said the same thing - that it all goes to Rock Hill. I have since learnt on my own (not here; but thanks, Ron) that Julius does do this work (which my regular rigger does not) and that's where I'll take it.

So - offer rescinded; and I'm sorry to have weirded people out with the idea. :frown:
Don't weird out. You weren't offering a free service to SBO readers because you were going anyway, you were looking for business opportunities. Gotta have thicker skin than that.