Extremely heavy rain today

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
St. Valentine has decided that we need water. Right now it is raining so hard I can barely see the back yard. So you MidWest and East Coast folks stand by for some more heavy winter weather. My guess is that rodent in PA guessed wrong. LOL

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
They closed Highway 76 which goes to Escondido and eventually Palomar Mt and Julian. Also schools were closed early. Last time I remember a storm like this was in '93. Camp Pendleton Air Station was literally underwater. Many of the planes and especially the helo's were flooded. Still have more rain on the way. Great for the drought. Hopefully no dams will break and dump billions of gallons of water like a few years ago. LOL

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
More of the same here on Maui this week. Coastal flooding, landslides, snow. Yep, three days this week it has snowed on Haleakala. Weather alerts going off on the TV and cell phones. They sound like the alerts that would come over the VHF from NOAA when a tornado was coming our way. Still makes me jump.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
We were in the mountains last week, actually had to fire up the snowblower, got tired of cold and came down to the beach for this rainstorm. Ran down to the harbor during a break this afternoon and there was a log floating in the outer channel, 18 inches round and 25 ft. long. Keep your eyes open, last I saw it was floating towards the harbor mouth heading your way pushed by the wind.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
We were in the mountains last week, actually had to fire up the snowblower, got tired of cold and came down to the beach for this rainstorm. Ran down to the harbor during a break this afternoon and there was a log floating in the outer channel, 18 inches round and 25 ft. long. Keep your eyes open, last I saw it was floating towards the harbor mouth heading your way pushed by the wind.
Actually, a week after a similar storm in the 80's (that smashed Santa Monica Pier), I hit a post floating just under the water. Wooden boat; separated the planks from the keel. Emergency haul and repair. Cost plenty. There was a funny side to the story though. We also saw a seal lounging on a sofa a mile or so off the coast.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We made it to Georgetown, Exuma’s and have a squall line running by. In preparation I had opened the deck plate to one water tank and damed the toerail to catch the rain. I found several other cruisers doing the same thing. Sure beats looking for and hauling RO water. We still buy some for drinking.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Might be the remnants of Tom Hanks' boat.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
We also saw a seal lounging on a sofa a mile or so off the coast.
Heading for a tropical vacation on the mid-Pacific polymernisia Island, no doubt.

Hey, maybe it's a mistake to cleanup that garbage when we could rope it all together into a solid floating Island and build condos on it.
You know, that's the real reason for the ocean's rise, displacement from abandoned scrap. There has to be more of that out there than ice trapped water on the poles.

-Will (Dragonfly)

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hey..we saw a log or two or three like that. One off the entrance to Vancouver, one in Navy Channel of the Gulf Islands and one near Cattle Point... These suckers were big, red and floating half above and half below the water. No way they were the same log, do you think?