Folding-feathering prop for First 36s7

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 36s7 Sea Cliff, NY NY
I am considering putting a folding prop on my 1997 First 36s7. Has anyone done this? Did it improve performance noticeably? Is there one that is significantly better than others? I am just beginning the process and don't know where to start.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I am considering putting a folding prop on my 1997 First 36s7. Has anyone done this? Did it improve performance noticeably? Is there one that is significantly better than others? I am just beginning the process and don't know where to start.
I'm betting that every single Beneteau First boat built since 2000 has come from the factory with a flexofold 2 or 3 blade folder. I have two boats with them, and sailed on dozens. They perform great under sail and power, require ZERO maintenance, and always open. Recommended.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Third'ed. We went from a fixed 3 blade to Flexofold 3 blade and picked up at least half a knot at low wind speeds, maybe close to a full knot. Also we picked up some speed in high winds, when the fixed prop's turbulence caused rudder stall.

Here's a comparison of our boatspeed with the fixed (orange dots) and FoF (blue dots). The solid lines are the best fit trendlines.
Screenshot_20180509-201214.png

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
They have a new version with a carbon/composite hub so lower weight. But the ultimate is ultimoo (out of Argentina ) a full composite folder. Price isn't bad. I am hoping someone else takes the plunge and reports back!

Feb 11, 2017
Everyone always compares performance under sail. Can anyone share their experiences under motor with a 3-blade fixed versus 3-blade flexofold?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Everyone always compares performance under sail. Can anyone share their experiences under motor with a 3-blade fixed versus 3-blade flexofold?
When we switched to the FOF our motoring speed and RPMs stayed basically the same, or maybe went up 0.1 knots. I've read reports from others saying they had a bigger speed improvement. Our fuel consumption is basically the same as well. Power when motoring in reverse is certainly less with the FOF, but that just means I dock with 1200 RPMs instead of idle.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I went from a 3 blade fixed to a 3 blade flexofold. Under power maybe .1 or .2 knot gain at about the same rpm...maybe 100rpm less. No problem in reverse just use a few more rpm. Very smooth. Very satisfied. And better performance under sail.

johey

Jan 2, 2007
Beneteau 390 Baltimore
I went from 3 blade fixed to 3 blade Kiwiprop (which I'm still really impressed by). Gained quite a bit under sail, about the same under motor forward, better handling and less propwalk in reverse.