Just Love Steam Trains

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The very best is taking Via, the Canadian, between Vancouver and Toronto. ( either direction)
Even better is taking the Skeena from Jasper to the coast and back. Yes it may be behind an F40 lashup, but the scenery is nothing short of stunning.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
the era of steam ships was still running strong when i started working on the lakers. love working that old equipment. 18 seasons later when i quit most of the 90 year old boats were gone. they were very dirty.
the burners in the OP's video must be new high tech equipment.
i was just going by the look.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Steam....
Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe steam locomotive 2925. Design 1938 Built 1944 at the Baldwin Locomotive Works
IMG_0291.JPG
next to Steam....
IMG_0289.JPG
In Sacramento at the California State Railroad Museum.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
There’s the best statement. Don’t wait.
I remember the legions of F units. Then one day saw a few dozen in a siding. I never saw another one plying the rails in revenue service. So much to get pictures of, so little time.

May 25, 2012
the S.S. badger, a 400 foot car ferry (as in railroad car) still runs across lake michigan today. steamer built in the 50's. but it's days are numbered. coal burner. now takes tourests and such

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
first half of my life they had a ford trimotor plane 40 miles away at catabaw island. flew to the lake erie islands. i like them. never did it. waited to long.

don't wait dave.
I flew on a Ford trimotor with my Dad about 20 years ago, out of Oshkosh. We flew over Lake Winnebago. The plane was amazingly quiet, and the flight was very smooth.

May 25, 2012
turn up your volume, start this video, watch, enjoy. this is one of the upsides of the great plains here in america. :0

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Steam....
Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe steam locomotive 2925. Design 1938 Built 1944 at the Baldwin Locomotive Works
View attachment 160620
next to Steam....
View attachment 160622
In Sacramento at the California State Railroad Museum.
I love steam trains, but steam boats maybe a little more. The Minnehaha on Lake Minnetonka has a beautiful steam engine, museum quality. IIRC, the engine weighs 2 tons and develops about 140 HP. Smooth and quiet, with instant torque.IMG_2745.jpgIMG_2733.jpg

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe steam locomotive
Well meet my late 5th cousin Fred Gurley, the CEO of that railroad.;)
The oldest steam engine in Disneyland is named for him.
image.jpg

Old #3 that I road on as a kid [ca.1959]!

No. 3 – Fred Gurley
Namesake: Fred G. Gurley (1889-1976)
President of the Santa Fe Railway from 1944-1957
Builder: Baldwin Locomotive Works, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
In Service: August 1895 (Engine built in 1894)
Disneyland Service Date: March 28, 1958
Stack Design: Cap stack
Scale: Full
Gauge: 36″
Wheel arr./type: Forney Converted to 2-4-4T
Weight: 21, 600 lbs.
Color: Green cab / Red Wheels
Original Owner: Godchaux Sugar Company, Louisiana, U.S.A. [ pronounced God Shaw]
* The Fred Gurley is the oldest of any of the engines in the Disney Park railroads around the world having celebrated its 110th anniversary in 2004.

Whooot Whoot... All a board!
Jim...

PS: My Grandmother lived 15 minutes from Disneyland when I was a kid.:biggrin: Now where is my Mickey Mouse ears cap?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The UP 844 like the N&W J-class was in that last class of steam locomotives, the 4-8-4’s, UP called them the FEF class (four, eight, four). Eight massive drive wheels and the most power possible to climb grades. They were impossibly long locomotives. Weighted 1/2 million pounds. When they first put the J-611 back on the tracks in the 1980s (Crazy Dave’s ride), they didn’t fit the newer modern track switch dimensions and track curve radius. It was a nightmare for the Maitenance of Way guys. Buddy of mine was a young MoW foreman just out of the Army. His crew had to ride ahead of the 611 and grease the switches and track turns to keep the locomotives from pinching themselves off the track. Even so Norfolk Southern Corp CEO managed to drive the 611 off the tracks while he was at the throttle. Great accountant and CEO, not an engineer. The guys who drove these big locos were very skilled.

Last edited:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
they didn’t fit the newer modern track switch dimensions and track curve radius.
Boston had the opposite problem back in the 1970's. They bought a new fleet of Light Rail Vehicles (streetcars), and they wouldn't stay on the worn 80 year old tracks. I was a carhouse repairman, and we sometimes had to rerail as many as three trains a day.