Macgregor 25

Sep 18, 2018
Macgregor 26s DETROIT
In the spring I am looking to buy a MacGregor 25 or similar craft. Anyone know of one available within about 300 miles or so of Detroit?

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Craigslist and Ebay are good places to find Macs

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Venture 25 and Mac 25 are pretty similar. Mac is a bit lighter. Stock fractional rig on both.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I am looking to buy a MacGregor 25 or similar craft.
If not buying until Spring, this would be the time to start discussing what you want in a boat. Trailerability? Finished? Fixerupper? and so on...
Many forms of classifieds out there with possible listings. Spring could be a sellers market as weather gets better.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I'd agree with Justin, the price goes up in the spring, and if they figure they're famous, well, you know where it goes from there.

Sep 18, 2018
Macgregor 26s DETROIT
Thanks guys. Make sense to me too. It seems like a lot of these used sailboat sites, do not update their offerings of you sailboats. I'm seeing some sailboats that are still listed in there after being initially put in there in 2011 or 2012. That's a long time ago. I think a lot of these used sailboat sites are clickbait for some sort of a phishing software. I think they might be collecting email addresses and stuff. Some of these advertisements are extremely old.

Sep 18, 2018
Macgregor 26s DETROIT
Also, if you make an inquiry into the boat, the boat is either already been sold for years, or there is no response.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Thanks guys. Make sense to me too. It seems like a lot of these used sailboat sites, do not update their offerings of you sailboats. I'm seeing some sailboats that are still listed in there after being initially put in there in 2011 or 2012. That's a long time ago. I think a lot of these used sailboat sites are clickbait for some sort of a phishing software. I think they might be collecting email addresses and stuff. Some of these advertisements are extremely old.
typically they will show it as being sold on the ad. they leave them up because many people are wanting to use the site to get an idea of the value of a particular boat they have interest in buying or selling. I haven't seen any evidence of it being click bait.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
typically they will show it as being sold on the ad. they leave them up because many people are wanting to use the site to get an idea of the value of a particular boat they have interest in buying or selling. I haven't seen any evidence of it being click bait.
I would have to agree with this. Some of the sites are one man operations and updating things can take a while. Also, if the boat isn't reported as sold, then it stays up there. The software they run probably does not have a way of expiring an ad as they are just simple content management software suites. Expiring things start bringing databases and more complex code in the back ground to the party which, cost money. Seeing as these sites have an ad driven revenue model for the most part, the most bang for the buck is what gets implemented.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I agree also. To my knowledge, Allison Luckenbach still operates sailingtexas.com by herself since her husband died.
I sold my Mac on there. She just asks for a donation if you sell and she will even help set up your ad. It's a nationwide service.

Aug 1, 2011
SailingTexas is way too big and busy to be a charity.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I don't think it's a charity. They don't have set fees. Usually a percentage of the sale is asked.

Aug 1, 2011
That’s what I mean. The site really deserves a pricing structure.

Feb 3, 2016
Spacesailer 18 Longmont, CO
For exgeologist older post, I know where there is a very nice 1985 MacGregor 25 possibly for sale. I renovated the boat to near-new condition and sold it to an individual at Monument, Colorado. To my knowledge the boat never went on the water, and the last I knew, the owner still had the boat. For a fixer-upper, I know where there is one in south-central Nebraska.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
When I decided to get a larger boat, the Mac 25 was on my list, but I opted for 26S. Put simply, the 25 is a 26 minus the lazarette (which is ideal for extra storage and gas tank). I constantly get compliments on my 26S, and am glad I went with it. Of course, you may have considered the 26 and decided on the 25 for reasons of your own. Just sharing my journey.

I found mine after combing Craigslist, and drove to St. Louis MO and back from Dallas/Fort Worth to get it. Worth every mile.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
When I decided to get a larger boat, the Mac 25 was on my list, but I opted for 26S. Put simply, the 25 is a 26 minus the lazarette (which is ideal for extra storage and gas tank). I constantly get compliments on my 26S, and am glad I went with it. Of course, you may have considered the 26 and decided on the 25 for reasons of your own. Just sharing my journey.
Well..... not quite :what:. The 25 has an iron 650lb swing keel, wile the 26 has water ballast and a center board. sleeping accommodations under the cockpit in the 26 is something I would prefer over my 25, but other than that I prefer the 25......... plus the 25 can be had for a couple K less than the typical 26D or 26S. I bought my virgin, fresh water only 25, fully loaded with 6hp 2 stroke outboard, for $3100 5-6 years ago.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Well..... not quite :what:. The 25 has an iron 650lb swing keel, wile the 26 has water ballast and a center board. sleeping accommodations under the cockpit in the 26 is something I would prefer over my 25, but other than that I prefer the 25......... plus the 25 can be had for a couple K less than the typical 26D or 26S. I bought my virgin, fresh water only 25, fully loaded with 6hp 2 stroke outboard, for $3100 5-6 years ago.

And I sold my '92 26S for around $8k at the same time. The berth was the best feature on the 26S. The admiral hated the 'tenderness' of the water ballast system.