Helsen 22 pop top water seal.

Jan 19, 2019
Helsen 22 Waquoit Bay
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 1976 Helsen 22. I am wondering if anyone can help me with a question I have about the pop top function. After about 2 days of rain, I found the bilge was wet and the cabin wasn’t dry either. I immediately suspected the pop top was leaky.
The pop top function does not currently work, and being so old, I’m guessing the water seal is no good anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this problem? I’m wondering what I can use to replace the seal. I plan on checking to see if water comes through in the spring when I uncover the boat.
Thanks.

Jan 19, 2019
Helsen 22 Waquoit Bay
By the way if you are not familiar with the Helsen line it is very similar to the Catalina 22.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the forum @Cape Daysailor .
When you have a boat that is not among the frequent designs, it is best to take a picture of your issue. It improves our chances of helping you with the issue. Certainly a 42 year old baot can have worn out gaskets. Equally an issue is any thing that is attached to the deck. Hand holds, bikinis, winches etc. all get attache by bolts or worse screws to the deck of the boat. Sometimes the workers or previous owner fail to use the best practices in securing these hardware items to the deck.

Jan 19, 2019
Helsen 22 Waquoit Bay
Thank you, boat is covered for winter but I will try and get some pictures. I didn’t play around with it that much, but I’m almost certain the pop top is not locked down all that well either. I would like to fix that because the pop top will add a lot more headroom to the cabin while sailing.
Thanks Again!

Dec 25, 2020
Helsen 22 Rimouski
Although 40 years old, the Helsen 22 was very well built, and is always today a very simple but funny sailboat. I sail it in any sea conditions on the Canadian East Coast. Because its low weight, it is fast. The cockpit size is one of the largest for this boat category. Boat simplicity is making maintenance very easy. The pop top linkage is a normal problem, and this is a common part to check and replace after years. Remove the old gasket (foam or rubber), take a sample and go to any auto part shop to get a similar one. The Catalina Direct web site (22) is also offering adapted seals.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I would like to fix that because the pop top will add a lot more headroom to the cabin while sailing.
Are you planning on raising the pop top while sailing? It wasn't possible to sail my O'Day 23 with the pop top up, and I don't think it would be safe to do so.

Nov 30, 2020
Macgregor 22 Dania, FL
Please take a look at www.macgregorsailors.com for several examples of adding gas struts to make it possible to raise the pop-top. On my Mac 22, the pop-top can only be raised when the boom is removed, that's just as well. The alleged seal between the pop and the rest of the cabin is just window weather stripping.

Cbip V.
s/v Sand Dollar