Project Creep results in new DC Panel

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
In early December I posted about one of my winter projects, Instrumentation. That project would require new power supply cables for auto pilot, chart plotter and SeaTalkng network, each with a different size fuse.
I also planned on installing a DCP battery switch to isolate the house and start battery banks to eliminate instrument dropouts when starting while under sail and auto pilot.
Mounting some DC outlets was also on my list of upgrades.
The original DC distribution panel left a lot to be desired. Push button circuit breakers for groups of circuits, toggle switches that were hard to see if they were on or off, all connected by 10 awg wire and quick connect spade type connectors. There were a few times this past season I'd have to open the dc panel and put back on a quick connect that had come loose and fallen off.
Enter PROJECT CREEP!

I decided I would make my own switch panel. I'd use toggle switches with screw connections instead of quick connects, add circuit on indicators and use fuse blocks for OCP. I studied how Tom Y, Sumner and others built their switch panels to get ideas.
I also looked at the Blue Sea DC panels to see what they had to offer. I kept going back to their 16 breaker toggle style panel. It would fit within the teak frame of the existing panel and look much neater than anything I could build.
Enter more PROJECT CREEP!

After thinking about it over a couple of bourbons, I ordered the Blue Sea panel.

I mounted the new panel right over the old panel. I made a narrow panel out of ABS sheet plastic for two DC Outlets and a Blue Sea Digital volt meter and battery selector switch and mounted it alongside the new switch panel.
To avoid having to have too many various size breakers I installed a 6 individual circuit fuse panel on the back plane. This way I could use almost all standard 15A breakers and run the loads that needed lower amp fuses through the individual fuse panel.

I then installed the new DCP battery switch below the panel. After thinking about how to fuse the new DC panel, I decided on installing a C Series 3 breaker panel I had for another project that never materialized. I put it next to the battery switch. One breaker for the DC panel, one for a future inverter install and one spare.

I left the original AC breakers in place for now. When I'm ready a Blue Sea AC Breaker panel will just fit in the remaining space next to the DC outlet panel and the Blue Sea DC panel.

Original panel
IMG_1173.jpeg IMG_0864.jpeg

New panel
IMG_3001.jpeg IMG_2985.jpeg IMG_2999.jpeg

Now I'm ready to move on to installing the new sailing instruments.

Last edited:
May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Going through this right now as well. New charger, re-wired battery switch and batteries, installed an ACR, installed new BlueSea AC panel, and now trying to make a final decision on the DC panel. I think I am going to install a BlueSea weatherproof 8 position panel in the cockpit with the nav lights, washdown pump and instruments, then I can probably use a BlueSea 13 position panel at the nav station. I moved the battery switch from the nav station to the top of the companionway where it is easily accessible from the cockpit or the inside, and it shortened the run to the batteries significantly.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice job Ward. You have stories to share on the cruise... Looking forward to all the drama and heartbreak as you crept your way forward to such a beautiful solution.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Very nice, your updates are great to see how it should be done.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
If you run out of stuff to do on Thursdays, I've got a boat in your neighborhood! ;) Have a blast on vacation Ward!

Jan 26, 2019
Catalina 30, mkI 2462 Waukegan, IL
Well done.

I have a related situation, and I'd love advice from you all:

Who knows the trick for accessing the rear of a Catalina 30, Mark I electric panel?

I just bought 1982 Catalina 30 Mark I, hull #2462. A photo of the panel is attached.

I love how Ward's panel pivots on a hinge for EASY access--even the original panel apparently did this.

Mine does not. When I remove the four screws in the corners of the wood panel, then I can pull the entire panel outward a couple of inches. I am able to see the wiring behind the panel, but I cannot find any way to move the panel enough to get in there and work. There does not seem to be enough slack in the wires. Maybe it's just one or two wires (i.e. battery wires) causing the trouble. I don't want to pull too hard.

Lastly, what's with the plunger breakers between the AC and DC sides??!! They are DC, at least one of them. It operates the depth sounder. The other ones are currently inactive. I wish I knew why they are there, and why they are a different style.

I am spending a fair amount of free time sketching what I want the new panel to look like. The surveyor said I should have voltmeters for both DC and AC sides. My plan is to add a couple of separate AC circuits (hot water tank does have its own AC breaker in galley). I'll add a few DC circuits along with a 12 V outlet or two.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
That's not an OEM panel. The PO made his own. You'll have to go find the "tight" wire(s) behind and underneath. Good luck.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@jnorten
Welcome to the SBO forum!
My first guess is the slack for the battery cables, if any, dropped down and need to be pulled up to give you enough slack to open the panel more. I know on mine I had to pull them up every time I opened my panel until I moved the switch.
It looks like your panel is actually several panels. If so you might be able to take off just the battery switch panel to see if those cables have enough slack.
Unhook the cables at the batteries first.

Not sure why the surveyor said to install voltmeters for AC and DC. Thought they were optional, not required.

Only the PO knows why he chose to use those type breakers but probably the same reason Catalina used what they used. Cost and availability.

Part of the fun of redoing the main panel is laying it out the way you want it.

Enjoy!