Mystic Seaport and Dogs

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
We are thinking about sailing to Mystic Seaport next summer
P3100003.JPG
. The museum grounds are said to permit leashed dogs. We always sail with our 62 Lb. standard poodle. Although the grounds are dog friendly, we are concerned about the attached marina dog access. We are told that the marina has fixed, not floating docks. We suspect that this would preclude dogs as large (and old) as ours. Can someone who has been there advise us?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
We are thinking about sailing to Mystic Seaport next summerView attachment 160290 . The museum grounds are said to permit leashed dogs. We always sail with our 62 Lb. standard poodle. Although the grounds are dog friendly, we are concerned about the attached marina dog access. We are told that the marina has fixed, not floating docks. We suspect that this would preclude dogs as large (and old) as ours. Can someone who has been there advise us?
There is a big step at low water from our boat on the Mystic Seaport docking that lines the bulkhead. I wasn't sure if they had any floating dockage downstream where a few other docks are used. I had to carry our two small dogs and help my shorter legged wife make the step at LW. If you can line up with a ladder, that might help.

The docking crew are very helpful and provide and help rig fender boards. They may have dealt with this problem and it could be worth asking if any sort of ramp is available?

An alternative, if your dogs are better getting in and out of the dinghy, there is a wonderful spot to anchor just a 100 yards or so above. Very protected. If we returned, we'd probably use that for the privacy it affords. Either way, Mystic Seaport is a wonderful stop by boat.

Alden_.jpg

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
bow sprit, boomkin, boom rest, two sticks, huge cockpit, bullards, lazy jacks, sweet colors, low swept, ........

nice photo tom, what a sled

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
We used to have big Standard Poodles. They loved the water. I could pick one up and put on the deck or bring into a dingy. They were 75 pound dogs.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Thanks for the information. The granite dock is what we were afraid of. My old dog cannot climb a ladder. We can, however, get him in and out of the inflatable. I will call the marina and inquire. In his youth, strangers walking along our home floating dock would speak to him while he was lounging on on the forward deck and he would leap over the bow pulpit and land on the dock to greet the astonished visitors properly. Next summer he will be twelve and we have to treat him with care. He would be heartbroken if we left him at home.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A 62 lb dog, sorry leave him at home. If I recall correctly the marina has narrow wood plank finger piers in their transit slips. Unless you can carry the dog it would be hard transferring at low tide.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There is a dingy dock near the north entrance. It is a floating dock. That is the only one there I know of. The seawall, or pier might be manageable with a ramp. But the south docks by the DuPont exhibit would be nearly impossible. The tide range can be 3' so what's possible at high tide might not be at low. I think Brewer's has floating docks. There is also the Mason Island Marina and a few more that might have floating docks.