Margarine, Sunscreen and Dead Reefs

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Full Disclosure: I'm a descendant of the British Isles, the blonde blue eyed fair skin type, who spent a good portion of his youth in the Tropics. A combination that raises the neck hairs on dermatologists. And I familiar with the bottle of liquid nitrogen and scalpels in said dermatologists' offices.

With that said, I found this article interesting. Perhaps we should not be so fearful of the sun?

https://www.outsideonline.com/23807...cket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Vitamin D is the key to good health. No UV, no Vitamin D that is useable. You need some sunlight.
You can get that with SPF 8 and a full day sailing, when in the Southern latitudes [20 to 45° N]. I still see my dermatologist every year.

I get biannually Blood tests for D. Take the D supplements , UV, and maintain it at mid range of GOOD.
Heart Health is above Average of a 20 year old, per my Cardiologist!

Stay Healthy with right amount of D and UV.
Jim...

PS: The exposure can be just the arms too.;)

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Vitamin D is the key to good health. No UV, no Vitamin D that is useable. You need some sunlight.
You can get that with SPF 8 and a full day sailing, when in the Southern latitudes [20 to 45° N]. I still see my dermatologist every year.

I get biannually Blood tests for D. Take the D supplements , UV, and maintain it at mid range of GOOD.
Heart Health is above Average of a 20 year old, per my Cardiologist!

Stay Healthy with right amount of D and UV.
Jim...

PS: The exposure can be just the arms too.;)
My PC says that the three most important factors in men's health are:
1. Heart
2. Heart
3. Heart
Everything else way behind.

jhagg

Sep 2, 2012
Hunter 44DS Frenchmans Bay
As my doctor says, “everything in moderation “ and I try......

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
This explains why I always felt so lousy during winters in New England. Go to work in the dark, work all day in a large building with no windows, and go home in the dark. Feeling much better, living here in Hawaii!

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Vitamin D3, the Sunshine Vitamin. You can get supplements of D1 and D2, but it takes Ultraviolet light, UV(B).

Available Vitamin D3 used to help/prevent….
1)Bone and Fractures
2)Muscle, Balance and Falls
3)Rheumatoid arthritis
4)Osteoarthritis
5)Cardiovascular disease, blood pressure, and cholesterol
6)Diabetes, insulin resistance and glucose control
7) Inflammation
8) Asthma
9) COPD
10)Allergy
11) Fibromyalgia
12) Statin induced myalgia
13) Lupus
14) Uterine fibroids
15) Pregnancy
16) Respiratory infections and influenza
17) Ear infections
18) Depression
19) Alzheimers, dementia and Cognitive decline.
20) Parkinsons
21) Multiple sclerosis
22) Frailty
23) Cancer
24) Overall Mortality

These were all affected in a positive manner. Many were done on 50+ age and under 14 kids.

Add a bit of Calcium, to get the bone strength. Drink Milk!
Jim...

PS: Data sources were done in Scientific Studies.
PSS: Source of my info https://www.consumerlab.com , a membership site that is like Underwriter Labs [UL] for over the counter supplements.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
I've been saying this for years. Sunscreen is more cancer causing than the sun, and humans have lived in teh sun without sunscreen for thousands of years. Dermatologists only see the worst and so have put an unhealthy fear into most people abotu the sun.

Go, enjoy the sunshine, do it in moderation and Never use sunscreen its harmful to us and our environment.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I've been saying this for years. Sunscreen is more cancer causing than the sun, and humans have lived in teh sun without sunscreen for thousands of years. Dermatologists only see the worst and so have put an unhealthy fear into most people abotu the sun.

Go, enjoy the sunshine, do it in moderation and Never use sunscreen its harmful to us and our environment.
Big issue here in Hawaii. Sunscreen is harmful to the reefs.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
What day was summer last year?
Ummm, it was in August. I remember it clearly. No pun intended. BC took back their smoke for one solid day. It was possible to step outside without coughing up a lung. I sincerely hope this coming season is better, cuz the last two haven't exactly been ones of merit.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Growing up on the Gulf coast of Florida, I never got a Sunburn. After living for seven years in New England, I got the worst Sunburn I've ever had then or since, on my first wedding anniversary. We fell asleep on a beach under an overcast Maine sky. My wife and I were bribing each other for the Noxzima, so we wouldn't have to move or get out of bed.
I believe Sunlight is important to good health, and I think this article has merit, but the problem with the arguement that ancient people lived in thr Sun without protection is that they are known not to have lived as long. It may or may not be related to their time in the Sun, but either way, it's a little like the claims that smoking prevented Alzheimer's. Yeah, by killing you before you could get it. Living a prehistoric life killed you before you could get skin cancer.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
we're only allowed outside three days a year.
O.K. I know about planting day and harvest day. What other day do they let you out? We'll let you out when you come to the boat show you'll just have to be careful you don't RUST!

Nov 1, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Galveston
Typically, I'll expose myself to the sun for only about 30-45 minutes. While doing so, I'm shirtless, no hat, sunglasses, pretty much as exposed as is socially acceptable. I'm naturally tan, so I don't burn that easily and I've experimented at how long it takes for me to burn depending on the weather, cloud coverage, location, temperature, etc. On a normal summer day on the water (reflective surfaces), I can go about 40 minutes without getting burned. After that amount of time, on goes the long sleeved shirt, hat and cargo pants. For the rest of the day I typically go without getting burned, but I still put sunscreen on my ears and the back of my neck, which are typically exposed.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
O.K. I know about planting day and harvest day. What other day do they let you out? We'll let you out when you come to the boat show you'll just have to be careful you don't RUST!
Funny thing, the last 4 or 5 shows, the sun came out while we were walking the docks at Granville. Of course it didn't last. :)

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
We have a saying " if you can't see the mountains, it's raining; if you can, it's going to rain"