Alden Caravelle for sale in Panama.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Recently posted for sale online on the Alden Yachts facebook page.

Ad says Price reduced to $55,000

Caravelle in Panama.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Daydreamer,
I know if you did that, she would be trimmed better than the picture shows her current owner does. A beauty like that deserves the best.
Make it a real adventure and go up the ICW and down the Saint Lawrence. We'll share a beer in Burlington or Portsmouth, or both. :beer:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
This looks like the same boat chartered out of the San Blas Islands. https://vivisail.com/en/boats/alden-caravelle-42-kalimera

I love the owner's story. Left Italy and her career to charter sailboats. The charter ad sounds so hopeful. I hope the sale of Kalimera is a happy one for her.

I showed Tom's picture to my wife and so Daydreamer may have to hurry and make a decision now. Since we don't actually have any money, there is still time, I think. My wife has an amazing way of getting what she wants, so don't dawdle. By the way, if someone needs crew to help bring her home... :plus:

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Good find, Will. I found the ad on FB. I guessed she was Italian and was tempted to ask my son (who speaks Italian) to contact her for more info. About the boat of course but she also sounds like an interesting, fearless person. The charter you found tells some of the story.

She put some $$ into the boat and may have chartered it for a few years. Captain, cook, hand holder,...that's a lot of work! Loved it, hated it? Every boat has a story.

In the equipment I notice the Caravelle has a moka pot. My son lived in Rome and gave me one for Xmas some years ago.

The perfect onboard coffee maker. Bialetti from Italy.
Bialetti_.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm guessing, by the collection of stones in the spice rack, that is a picture of your boat, Tom. Did you make that spice rack or are hand cut dovetails a standard feature in old Aldens?

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I'm guessing, by the collection of stones in the spice rack, that is a picture of your boat, Tom. Did you make that spice rack or are hand cut dovetails a standard feature in old Aldens?

-Will (Dragonfly)
Standard Alden feature from 1961. And the Danish finishers from the Molich yard appeared to enjoy doing them because hand cut dovetails are everywhere. They even used them on a few unseen areas, for structural reasons. That's excessive!

I built the woodwork in the foreground covering the engine. You can see that is de-void of hand cut dovetails. :)