Proper sail for each wind speed

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
I hope you all had a great new years.

I am working on my sail inventory and am wondering what wind ranges you all use each head sail in on your Capri 22. My boat will be a wing keel with a tall rig and typically sailed solo. What size head sails are in your inventory? Where I will be sailing is generally under 10 knots with some higher gusts. Once I hear a few responses I will say what I am thinking, but I would like to hear what is actually used first.

Each boat is different and I am hoping to get answers from Capri 22 owners.

Thanks!!

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
I race with multiple Capri 22's and "regular" 22's. They all seem happy with a 150 or 135. For your wind range, I doubt it would matter much.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Do you find that the standard 5 oz Dacron sail is too heavy in 0-5 knots and would prefer a light weight version?

What wind speed do you carry a 155% up to? 15 knots?

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
In light winds, I fly my Code 0 or asymmetrical spinnaker. My 150 Genoa just flops around. Once the wind gets up near 15 knots, I furl and bring out the Genoa. Over 20 knots, I start taking in reefs.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
How do you fly a code 0 on a Capri 22?

Can you really sail upwind with a code 0?

Jan 2, 2017
You’d need to rig a bowsprit.
My Code 0 goes from 40 to 140 degrees apparent.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
That is pretty cool. Unfortunately I don’t have a bowsprit, but it is another reason to add one.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
That is pretty cool. Unfortunately I don’t have a bowsprit, but it is another reason to add one.
You can also use a tacker that provides for an attachment point around the furled jib. If you have a hank on jib you could use a tack extension (forgot the correct term) to provide a high enough attachment point....

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
We seem to have gotten off track on the original question. On a Capri 22, at what wind range do people fly a #1, #2, or #3 genoa/jib? At very low wind speeds (0-5 knots) do you ever wish for a lightweight #1 because the wind will not fill the standard 5 oz Dacron sail?

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Understood. I have an asym in an ATN sleeve, but I do not own a code 0 or a top down furler. Adding a furler would cost about $3,000 for the furler and an additional cable which is pretty expensive.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
I have a hank on jib so I cannot use that. I am adding a tack line, so I will not need that.

Can you use an ATN sleeve on a code 0?

Jan 2, 2017
A 0 needs an attached luff. You could maybe fly a three point drifter.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Thank you. I have been reading about code 0's and drifters. In a different forum I found a thread that AlastairLC started before he bought his code 0. In that thread people said that you could fly a code 0 without a furler. Is anyone in this forum doing that?

Drifters seem very similar to a code 0. My take so far is that code 0 sails tack on in front of the head stay and drifters tack on behind the headstay and can be tacked more easily.

Both sails can be carried from about 35-180 degrees apparent. The 35 degrees apparent is still really 80 degrees true so you are not really going upwind very well.

The drifter is made out of nylon and I am not clear on what the code 0 is made out of.

Thoughts?

Jan 2, 2017
Yes, that’s an old threat of mine. I ended up going a the Code 0 on a furler attached to a bowsprit (see my image).
A Code 0 is primarily an upwind sail so a straight luff on a furler is best. A drifter is more of a reaching sail and can be flown free (three point). Both should be attached in front of the bowstay (or furled Genoa). Both are lightweight nylon.
To tack or gybe, the 0 is best furled in winds over 3-4 knots; the drifter should have a sock.
Good luck!