Calling all Canadians... What say you?

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
It’s always sad to me when people try to use “the law” to trump courtesy and common sense. Kudos to the cops for handling that situation with class. Is that the only place in Lake Ontario where a pike can be caught?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Tool is right. How many times did he say "navigable water ways act"? They didn't charge you because you were polite, not correct. Big difference.
Our marina is posted too. We don't need these guys snagging our canvas or banging into sailboats. One spring day when I came out to finish setting my boat up in my slip, I found a lure wrapped around my bimini bow. I was pissed. Fortunately my bimini was not on yet.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
In the US it is not permissible to simply stick a dock in the water and open a marina unless the marina obtains a bevy of permits from a number of agencies. I wonder what rights the Marina has to restrict access? And how navigable is the waterway if there is no where to navigate to?

I would like to believe that marinas have the right to restrict access to marina waters. How do we know if the guys fishing are just there to fish? Or are they scoping boats that will later be robbed?

Is that the only place in Lake Ontario where a pike can be caught?
That's the rumor I heard. All of the Pike and Salmon live within the confines of Bluffer's Park Marina. Yes siree! :biggrin:

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
in the us the law is the same as the fish person says. that said, doing that is just rude, in that few fisherman have the skill to make sure every cast is perfect, that every boat maneuver is perfect, hence the real word problems.
i like that corps cannot own/control the water. i like common courtesy also.

i also have opinions of my own: people that torture little animals for hobby/ i.e. catch and release fishing are beyond my sensibilities. 40% of catch and release fish die on the lakes.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Isn't this akin to the oyster and crabbers in the northeast? All those crab pots placed in navigational waters because it has been that way since the 1500s?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
what a total tool
That made me laugh. :laugh:

people that torture little animals for hobby/ i.e. catch and release fishing are beyond my sensibilities. 40% of catch and release fish die on the lakes.
https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordeba...-and-always-release/the-fish-feel-little-pain
This article maintains that catch and release fishing has a survival rate of over 90% when practiced with care .

I don't know. I only catch and release when I catch a fish I don't want to eat.

The article's author also stated that his own research into fish neurology shows that fish don't have the physiology to feel pain the way mammals do. My own observations as a life long fisherman is that fish don't hesitate to pull against a hook with all their strength where a mammal would freeze in place rather than risk hurting themselves more. Again, I don't know.
Waste is one of mankind's biggest sins.

-Will (Dragonfly)