Catalina 25 engine length / mounting placement

Jul 9, 2018
Catalina 25 Lake Monroe
On the Catalina 25 I just purchased, when the engine is lowered the anti-ventilation plate is about a half inch above the water. It's a regular length shaft. I found some specs that recommended a long shaft.

It works in calm seas, even though it's a bit obnoxious, but it pops in and out of the water with even slight waves. I've thought about trying to remount it in a better place, but there doesn't seem to be one. I've heard I may be able to find a kit to convert it to a long shaft.

How have other Catalina 25 owners dealt with this? Do you have a long shaft? Or is it mounted in a place where this isn't a problem?

IMG_5997.JPG IMG_5999.JPG IMG_6004.JPG IMG_6005.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The water stains on the rudder and the keel stubb suggest the boat sat a couple of inches lower in the water than in the picture how much deeper in the water do you need?

Was the previous owner a couple of pounds heavier than you? Was the boat loaded with more gear? Stuff hung on the stern? This might be what is the difference as to the PO using the current motor and you needing a longer shaft.

Jul 9, 2018
Catalina 25 Lake Monroe
That would make sense. Since I'm just a day cruiser, I only have a few tools and cleaning supplies, but I keep the boat bear bones empty. Every time I watch that show "Hoarders", I compulsively donate and recycle. Haha. :)

Also, the water tank is empty.

Just spitballing, how much weight do you think it would take to drop the boat 6"?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
You'll never be happy with that arrangement. Odds are that motor was hung on there just to make the sale. Get an XL shaft motor (25"). We have a Long Shaft (20") on the ASA training boat here and it is only a little better than your set-up. The XL's are the way to go.
Dennis

Jul 9, 2018
Catalina 25 Lake Monroe
You'll never be happy with that arrangement. Odds are that motor was hung on there just to make the sale. Get an XL shaft motor (25"). We have a Long Shaft (20") on the ASA training boat here and it is only a little better than your set-up. The XL's are the way to go.
Dennis
Have you tried any of the conversion kits to make a shaft XL? Or are you a proponent of swapping out the engine altogether?

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Bad for the motor.
Lack of cooling water will overheat motor and wear the impeller faster.
Also if you get caught in swells and no wind you might end up on the rocks.
That short motor will always be a pain and a concern.
Agree get extra-long shaft motor.
Sell that one, buy the XL new. Honda 9.9 Power Thrust version has 4 blade low pitch prop, lower geared, and exhaust reliefs for reverse. Great pusher for sailboat.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
My daughter has a 1981 C-25 with a 20” shaft and it is just adequate. The 25” xl shaft is the way to go.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
Have you tried any of the conversion kits to make a shaft XL? Or are you a proponent of swapping out the engine altogether?
Hmm.... I haven't heard of that.. Other responders seem to know better. Consider the 6hp Tohatsu sail pro with the XL shaft. I just put one one my 23.5 and really like it. It will get moved over to my Hunter 25 which will be similar to your set up.
Dennis

May 4, 2018
Catalina 25 SV Colorado
I have a Catalina 25 with a Mercury 9.9 Bigfoot 25" longshaft, mounted on the Catalina Direct motor mount. From the pictures it looks almost like the same engine and set-up as yours, except for shaft length.

I bet your ok for now as you lake sail.

For comparison, with the motor mount all the way up on my boat, my engine skeg and 1/2 of the propeller are still in the water. If I want the engine out all the way I have to tilt it.

I have ventilated the prop once this summer for a second in a big storm coming back under engine power to the marina, but the family was inside the cabin forward which shifted the weight forward somewhat.
I used to sail Charleston SC with another similar sized sailboat with standard shaft length, the prop ventilated all the time, not fun when the weather changes for the worse. Even worse when the current is strong.

Before installing the kit to extend the length of your current engine, make a decision if the money spent on the kit is worth it vs. selling current motor and buying a 25" new/newer long shaft.

Erik

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2016
Catalina 25 Ohio
You should be able to get a long shaft conversion kit as mentioned before. Either have a reputable shop do that for you or make the change yourself. While you are in there, replace the impeller for the water pump as they tend to wear over time. You already have her opened up.