pet peeves...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I mean, I'll bet everyone on this thread is doing just what I did and going back through their posts to see where they might have started one with "I mean"
:redface:
WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO TO US, Sailavie1?
:badbad:

-Will (Dragonfly)

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Two pet peeve words...

Thingy

Stuff

Archaic form Whachamacallit

Jim...

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ah geee.... then your saying this will not work?

I thought the THINGY was just big enough to plug the hole. That it would stop the STUFF from coming out of the WHACHAMACALLIT and getting all over the place...

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nor....
Lets slobber that Stuff on your Thingy and we can slip it the Whachamacallit :biggrin:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
A good question for my philosophy and sailing thread.

So true. But, is that how you wish to describe the dynamics of the Universe? Energy in potential without motion?
I'm ok with that. For myself, there is no universe, only the momentary idea of it. But then, we are back to my thread on philosophy. Hardly a useful working model.

-Will (Dragonfly)
I had no idea I could start such a philosophical discussion by tying a piece of buttered toast to the back of Will’s cat.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
lack of punctuation and paragraphs run on sentences folks who don't do a little research before hand partisan politics unending yammering profits before everything else borders callers who say nothing commercials hull growth that stings entropy (that entails a lot) disco

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
lack of punctuation and paragraphs run on sentences folks who don't do a little research before hand partisan politics unending yammering profits before everything else borders callers who say nothing commercials hull growth that stings entropy (that entails a lot) disco
You forgot rap (Did you know the C is silent) waterroaches running out of rum broken political promises that were never going to be kept liars not catching fish while trolling with the sailboat people who cant understand no wake zones did I say running out of rum having your chest vibrated by the music in the car behind you

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Two pet peeve words...

Thingy

Stuff

Archaic form Whachamacallit

Jim...
how about "at the end of the day".....geeze, I mean at the end of the day I'm really sick of that thingy...

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Anyone familiar with the phrase, "so don't I"? My nephew said it once and I thought he was just messin around, but when I said, jokingly, "so you don't agree." He didn't seem to have a clue that something was strange about what he'd said. I've since heard that phrase numerous times. That it might have become a norm instead of a joke is what peeves my pet.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
_____
Gasoline pricing methods...

$2.35 and 9/10th

Who the heck cares about nine tenths of a penny, when buying gas? Who changes that to, say 4/10?
_______
I am with you on that! I don't think they should be able to get away with pricing in units smaller than the smallest denomination of currency.
Our local radio station when they report gas prices always drops the .9 cents... I always want to call them (and have, more than once - well, OK, used their app to leave a voice message) and say, "It's 4th grade math, y'all! 9/10ths rounds UP not down!"
Same beef with store prices ending in .99. It's $10 near enough, you're not fooling me into thinking it's $9 by pricing it at 9 with a tiny .99 superscript.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
...I don't understand how the universe works, but Someone or something had to kick it off.
Another pet peeve.

The correct answer to this sort of question is "I don't know" with no suffix or tail piece. Just "I don't know."

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Anyone familiar with the phrase, "so don't I"? My nephew said it once and I thought he was just messin around, but when I said, jokingly, "so you don't agree." He didn't seem to have a clue that something was strange about what he'd said. I've since heard that phrase numerous times. That it might have become a norm instead of a joke is what peeves my pet.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Yes, Will, I grew up in rural Vermont and I heard that phrase quite often as a kid. It always grated on my ears. But there are regional abuses of language everywhere. "Jeezum Crow' was also a Vermont only slang as well as a few others that I've not heard elsewhere.