pet peeves...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
the dreaded "teacher is right" BS.
At an early point in our children's school career, since we spent a lot of time teaching our children about the world, ourselves, they had conflict with the information the teacher dispensed. Our children would bring home all kinds of frustrations around the conflict of knowledge. One time, I told them, It's important to know your facts correctly and be confident in what you know, but if the teacher is teaching something you know is wrong and puts it on a test, give the answer that will get you an A, not the one that will cause a fight. You need the A to get into college, not you're righteousness.

-Will (Dragonfly)

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So the answer to the college entrance exam: Blood color in the body is ?

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
So the answer to the college entrance exam: Blood color in the body is ?
Answering with a questions for clarification.:pimp:
1) Animal body or insect body?
2) Body is alive or dead?
3) Are you color blind?
4) Are you a USA patriot?
5) per @dlochner crazy sports fan?

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Would not the answer be subjective, based on the bias of the individual making the submission?
If so would the individual be wrong? Or could the individual ever be right?

And if the answer was marked wrong would that really detract from the opportunity for the individual to receive an acceptance letter? If so would a logical argument be possible to support the answer given?

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Coming from a science background I go at everything in the complete opposite manner. I read what I don't want to hear first then must prove to myself that the good stuff can actually be supported or actually work. I don't know how we got to this point but, we did...
How WE got here was a "pet peeves" of pseudoscience > scientific bias. Of course started by @Kermit perpetual motions machine stimulated by @All U Get :) Whew!!;)
_____
@Maine Sail your approach is a very good approach, as a scientific method.

Develop you boundaries of investigation, trying not to add your bias. I like to call it "Find the Extremes"
"Worst and Best Case", "Highest and Lowest", etc.
Then the optimum, best, and ideal answer lies between or includes one of them.;)

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Would not the answer be subjective, based on the bias of the individual making the submission?
If so would the individual be wrong? Or could the individual ever be right?

And if the answer was marked wrong would that really detract from the opportunity for the individual to receive an acceptance letter? If so would a logical argument be possible to support the answer given?
The next pet peeve of mine...

Irrational Thinking

I can't drink more coffee!!!:yikes:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I've seen a perpetual motion machine. It was in the Boston Museum of Science. It wasn't working at the time and there was a sign hanging on it with a plea by the staff asking if anyone could tell them why their perpetual motion machine had stopped. They had it under glass, so it was hard to examine closely. I wasn't able to come up with a good answer, so I moved on to the next exhibit. It could be that they put glass around it.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 28 East Tawas
People who leave shopping carts in the middle of an empty parking spot because they are to friggin' lazy to walk a few steps to the cart coral. I'm tellin' ya' I oughta'....:mad::yikes:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Or it could be that they wanted the public to keep moving through the exhibits and it worked perfectly.
I think the technology was beyond them and they weren't afraid to ask when they didn't know:poke:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I've seen a perpetual motion machine. It was in the Boston Museum of Science. It wasn't working at the time and there was a sign hanging on it with a plea by the staff asking if anyone could tell them why their perpetual motion machine had stopped. They had it under glass, so it was hard to examine closely. I wasn't able to come up with a good answer, so I moved on to the next exhibit. It could be that they put glass around it.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Will the question was the exhibit. The answer is friction. :rolleyes:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
A perpetual motion machine by it's definition cannot exist. That may be the answer they were looking for at the exhibit.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
People who leave shopping carts in the middle of an empty parking spot because they are to friggin' lazy to walk a few steps to the cart coral. I'm tellin' ya' I oughta'....:mad::yikes:
Oh I look right at them and say; "Thank You for being entitled & inconsiderate of others"

My wife hates it when I do that....

They are usually so imbecilic that by the time they actually process what I said, the bold up front THANK YOU throws them off, I am already long gone...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
A perpetual motion machine by it's definition cannot exist. That may be the answer they were looking for at the exhibit.
;)
Justin, I respectfully disagree.
Not with the impossibility of a perpetual motion machine but that its impossibility is built into its definition. That is the kind of conclusion that leads to a loss of critical thinking skills.
After all, the universe, in its entirety, is a perpetual motion machine, if you want to take it by definition. The accepted laws of physics state that matter and energy are neither created nor destroyed. The conclusion is that the universe, as a whole will always maintain a consistent amount of both. Perpetual motion.
However, you are likely right about why the museum posted the sign. They were effectively saying, "Think about it."

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The conclusion is that the universe, as a whole will always maintain a consistent amount of both. Perpetual motion.
This is not perpetual motion, it is the conservation of mass and energy. Different ideas and concepts. It is possible to have a perfectly balanced state of energy and mass without any movement. Think of a rock sitting on a self. It has potential energy and mass. If the rock does not move, it maintains the same level of energy and mass with no movement. If the rock falls, it loses its potential energy in the form of kinetic energy, but retains its mass. The equation is no longer balanced.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I hear ya Will. A perpetual motion machine must be able to work indefinitely without an energy source. I don't understand how the universe works, but Someone or something had to kick it off.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don't understand how the universe works, but Someone or something had to kick it off.
A good question for my philosophy and sailing thread.

This is not perpetual motion, it is the conservation of mass and energy.
It is possible to have a perfectly balanced state of energy and mass without any movement. Think of a rock sitting on a self. It has potential energy and mass.
So true. But, is that how you wish to describe the dynamics of the Universe? Energy in potential without motion?
I'm ok with that. For myself, there is no universe, only the momentary idea of it. But then, we are back to my thread on philosophy. Hardly a useful working model.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
I may be a bit over sensitive, but it irks me whenever I hear someone say “I mean” at the beginning of a comment. When did this start? I mean, it really bugs me!!
:soapbox: