How dumb could I be?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
For 18 years I have looked at a fluorescent light in my kitchen that did not work. My wife called the builder years ago to fix it and they could not find the problem. I even took it apart and there were only three pieces to it; the bulb, a starter, a transformer/ballast.

I thought it had to be the bulb so I went and replaced it. Did not work.

Had to be the starter so I took it out and when to Home Depot and got a new one. Did not work.

Transformer/ballast was hardwired in and it a very simple device. It either worked or it didn't but I had no way to test. So I left it alone all these years.

Today I got (as my mom would say) sick and tired of seeing all the lights on except that one fluorescent. Took it apart, again, and looked. Followed the wiring and checked it against the many schematics I could find on the internet. Took the starter out and put it back in. Still not working.

So, I finally decided to check the starter again. It was a TS-4 starter. OK, means nothing to me. A starter is a starter. I did some research and found it was for a 13watt light. What? I looked at the bulb and it is a T5F8 8 watt bulb. Yeah, no kidding.

According to additional research, the 8 watt light needs a TS-5 starter. I went to Home Depot, got a TS-5, put it in... damn thing is now working. Yeah, no kidding.

18 years, multiple service calls to electrician, tear it apart and put it back together several times, and all it was was the wrong part installed by the original builder 18 years ago.

Cheap labor at it's best!

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Yea, florescent lights are a little weird. If you have magnetic ballasts & one bulb goes bad, both lights go out. Most of the electronic ballasts will keep the one good bulb still lit. Different bulbs need different starters. Often the eco bulbs don't play well with the eco starters. & now the LED retrofits add a whole new level confusion. Some work only with the ballasts still connected, & some work only without the ballasts.

Feb 17, 2006
Yeah, without it the light would still be off. LOL

Feb 17, 2006
Yea, florescent lights are a little weird. If you have magnetic ballasts & one bulb goes bad, both lights go out. Most of the electronic ballasts will keep the one good bulb still lit. Different bulbs need different starters. Often the eco bulbs don't play well with the eco starters. & now the LED retrofits add a whole new level confusion. Some work only with the ballasts still connected, & some work only without the ballasts.
That was the problem, Jim. I thought a starter was a starter. Not specific to wattage. Boy was I ever wrong. One day manufactures will K.I.S.S.!

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Yeah, without it the light would still be off. LOL
It's a remarkable time to be alive with all the knowledge currently ensconced electronically.
The "information age". Ignorance is now a choice.

Aug 22, 2017
That was the problem, Jim. I thought a starter was a starter. Not specific to wattage. Boy was I ever wrong. One day manufactures will K.I.S.S.!
Not just specific to wattage. Also specific to type. Rapid start, instant start, pre-heat, HO, etc, They are all different.

This is just the tip of the iceberg - http://nemesis.lonestar.org/reference/electricity/fluorescent/starter.html

Different bulb/starter combinations have different temperature ranges that they can work in too. A lot of them will not turn on in less than 60 degree ambient temperature.

It's a real mess with little public documentation available.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Methinks I woulda just replaced the whole fixture with an LED. But I have an irrational hatred of florescent lighting.
:)
You can get LED retrofits for most florescent fixtures these days. They are usually an easier swap out compared to changing the whole fixture & sometimes they are more cost effective as well.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of today's LEDs do not last nearly as long as they are "guaranteed" to last.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Ignorance is now a choice.
Unless you read something from the wrong internet source. ;)
All sorts of BS on the net passed off as facts. Sometimes intentionally, but mostly due to said ignorance.
Then ignorance begets ignorance thought to be otherwise.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The problem here is in not knowing your ignorant. That's my biggest failing.

[EDIT] That and my love of ice cream. OH, and my basic laziness... and my arrogance and my gluttony. I may be a little self-centered too. But, just a little.

-Will (Dragonfly)