Compare the Telstar and Corsair Im looking at 28 or smaller

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
Telstar or Corsair same size or close to. How the folding arms compare and can you motor
both with them folded in? Draft and kickup rudders and lifting keels systems compare.
These boats might be what I need for shallow water in the Pine Island Florida area. I don't
know alot about each one of them I have seen Corsairs in Sarasota, Fla but never a Telstar
up close. I want to be able to beach the boat or close to it while I explore the islands Cabbage Key etc all along Pine Island area and more. Shallow water around there out of the channels.
Ive even looked at some Sea Pearls 21 but they might be to small to keep things dry.
The folding up idea is great for storage at my dock and not take up room in the canal even if its
100ft wide:) Can both of these boat models be put on a lift in the folded position? I don't like to keep my boats in the water. What size lift does it take????? Width too.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I haven’t owned either one, but the obvious differences are that the Corsair amas have their sides in the water when folded, Telstar amas stay flat so antifoul-painted bottom is in water. Either boat can’t be sailed when folded nor can they stand up to waves/wakes unless opened-unfolded. (Why would you want to fold unless you need to go into a slip? )
Neither is roomy inside but the Telstar is roomier and the Corsair is higher performance.
Both are narrow and top-heavy when folded mast-up so they could be blown off a lift in a strong squall or crosswind, unless you use the halyards to guy the mast each side.

Jun 14, 2010
Interesting note about being on a lift in strong wind and what could happen.
No different than any centerboard performance monohull, with mast up. No keel for counterbalance and not enough form stability for storm-force crosswinds or large wave unless the amas are open.

Jun 14, 2010
Also, my trimaran is a Dragonfly 1200 which has 28ft beam that folds to 14ft. No way I’d want to fold in a 100ft wide canal. :)

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
Also, my trimaran is a Dragonfly 1200 which has 28ft beam that folds to 14ft. No way I’d want to fold in a 100ft wide canal. :)
Maybe to put up on a boat lift to keep the bottom clean is why I would do it. Stuff gets on the bottom real fast in the saltwater here in Florida.

Jun 14, 2010
My prior boat was another folding tri that had been blown off a lift in FL. I bought it as a project boat and had to put $20k of fiberglass repair work into it. $20k pays for a lot of bottom cleaning, not to mention avoiding aggravation. Don’t keep a centerboard sailboat boat mast-up on a lift!

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
My prior boat was another folding tri that had been blown off a lift in FL. I bought it as a project boat and had to put $20k of fiberglass repair work into it. $20k pays for a lot of bottom cleaning, not to mention avoiding aggravation. Don’t keep a centerboard sailboat boat mast-up on a lift!
I guess I will forget the TRI designs because Im not leaving my boats in the water.

Jun 14, 2010
I guess I will forget the TRI designs because Im not leaving my boats in the water.
I think you missed the point. It’s not about tri, it’s about unweighted centerboard boats with mast-up. That means windage aloft from rig, weight aloft, and no counterbalance.

You can use halyards as guy lines on each side, attached to suitable anchor points.

PS. I’ve seen sailboats with weighted keels blown off stands in boatyards also.

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
I think you missed the point. It’s not about tri, it’s about unweighted centerboard boats with mast-up. That means windage aloft from rig, weight aloft, and no counterbalance.

You can use halyards as guy lines on each side, attached to suitable anchor points.

PS. I’ve seen sailboats with weighted keels blown off stands in boatyards also.
Guess the Sea Pearl 21 would be nice and could take the masts down real easy on that style of sailboat. Could strap it down to the lift or bring it onto land and put it in the garage.

Jun 14, 2010
Guess the Sea Pearl 21 would be nice and could take the masts down real easy on that style of sailboat. Could strap it down to the lift or bring it onto land and put it in the garage.
Yes, and that’s a totally different kind of boating experience.

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
Wish they had a little more covered area on them and maybe a little larger maybe 23 or 24ft. Ive sailed some Santana 23D
that can sail in come up to shore with their lifting board and lifting Rudder but they are hard to find in good shape since they where built balsa core on the deck. Ive seen some that where rebuilt and did a nice job on them but they are rare:)
The Pearl looks real nice for shallow water and could cut across shallows and save tons of time.

Jun 14, 2010
@videorov -- In my humble opinion, you are too hung up on the idea of using a lift instead of anti-fouling paint. It's a small-boat mentality and once you go to a usable cabin and mast-up storage the size and optimal handling/storage requirements change. There are good reasons cruising sailboat owners don't generally trailer-sail or use lifts, and it's mostly about the issues noted above. It's a boat and if it's mast-up (or difficult to step/un-step the mast) it's best stored in water if you plan to use it fairly often.

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
I will never use anti-fouling paint which doesn't last and some are not good for the water.

Jun 14, 2010
I will never use anti-fouling paint which doesn't last and some are not good for the water.
OK, I can't dispute that anti-fouling paint is an environmental concern, but so is almost everything else about a boat: paint, gelcoat, fiberglass, batteries, synthetic sails and synthetic canvas, lead keels, engines/oil/fuel, cleaners, waxes, rubber/plastic/vinyl, etc....
Just like religion, everyone decides for themselves how they roll and where to draw the line. My main point above is that mast-up and lifts are vulnerable due to weight and windage aloft.
Just curious: Your profile indicates you own a Transcat 48? How do you maintain that size vessel without anti-fouling paint?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
OK, I can't dispute that anti-fouling paint is an environmental concern, but so is almost everything else about a boat: paint, gelcoat, fiberglass, batteries, synthetic sails and synthetic canvas, lead keels, engines/oil/fuel, cleaners, waxes, rubber/plastic/vinyl, etc....
Just like religion, everyone decides for themselves how they roll and where to draw the line. My main point above is that mast-up and lifts are vulnerable due to weight and windage aloft.
Just curious: Your profile indicates you own a Transcat 48? How do you maintain that size vessel without anti-fouling paint?
No you muct be looking at another profile. I don't own a Transcat 48. I don't own a boat right now. I sold my two
motor boats 23ft Cat and 17Ft trihull. I have owned a few sailboats over the years Oday and J24.
Im going to be moving onto the water and will be buying another sailboat and maybe a small 17ft motor boat.