Any golfers on this board?

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Did you follow the Ryder Cup competition? I was so disgusted by the American golfers performance I just had to vent somewhere. It seems many of our so-called "top competitors" just don't have it in them to compete to win one on one or four ball. So they had their butts handed to them over the last 3 days by the European golfers. Just disgusting.
There are a number of theories on why our top guys just fold in head to head competition. Now keep in mind, these are guys who earn anywhere from $20 million to $50 million per year. However, the vast majority of those earning are not on the golf course. They are dollars paid for appearances, equipment contracts, and other promotions. My favorite theory is that the American players are just not focused on winning. They are focused on playing well enough to be visible and keep the endorsement dollars flowing. The European golfers are totally focused on winning and it shows in the results.
What do you think?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Not sure I agree with your analysis, but I agree the performance is shameful. I hate that the pro your is all stroke play, no match play. I hate that the Olympic format was the same.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes... It is not just this year's event. It has been a trend. Sure there have been high points but not today.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Often, the explanation is simple. The Europeans played better. One went 5 -0. One has the new record for most victories (old record held by another European). Why that is true is speculation. No doubt the talking heads will blame it on strategy, pairings, etc.. but implying people like Phil or Woods just played poorly or don't care is dubious.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
The Americans are good players: but not in a team environment. The Europeans are good players: even in a team environment.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What do you think?
I think your have a lot of repressed anger, and might need counseling. Gee, golf?
Just disgusting.
Nope. Some golfers won and some lost. That's what happens in sports. That's why the play the games.

If you lived in France you'd feel differently I'd bet.

I think you're over reacting. :):):)

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
And in other sports news, Canada just won in women's beach volleyball.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
I was a golfer. Now I’m a sailor.
I’ve never had a bad day sailing, but I’ve had a lot of bad days playing golf.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I tried golf. I never could figure out which side of the ball to set on the tee.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Well yes if your a red head.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
I finally figured out which side to put on the tee. The side with the dimples. At least I think I’m right. Am I right?
No, you have to peel the skin with the dimples off and place the core that looks like a hard boiled egg yoke on the tee.
Also, you hold the stick thingy by the large metal end and hit the ball with the rubber part...at least that's what I was told.

Bill Knipe, PGA Member
Head Golf Professional Westerville Golf Center, soon to be retired!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Golf comes from the same place where people throw small telephone poles, for fun.
I blame it all on wearing a skirt in a cold climate, and drinking Scotch to stay warm.
Heck they invented throwing rocks on ice, while being an OCD house cleaner !

I've tried all of those... maybe i'll do 2 of them again one day. ;)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
No, you have to peel the skin with the dimples off and place the core that looks like a hard boiled egg yoke on the tee.
Do they make them with rubber cores anymore ? We used to peel and unwrap them when I was a kid. We were disappointed when we started finding some with liquid cores.