Washing clothes on a Boat

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Always did fine with a dish pan. Warm water, soap, clothes. Use your feet as an agitator - till you get tired of dancing in the pan. Some soak time is good, warm water is better than cold. Drain, rinse, hang to dry. Never did get a decent spin cycle working..

Mar 28, 2017
American Tug 395 Newport
We used an Ecowash on our previous boat. It actually works as advertised!
Something about the pressurization of the container once you begin spinning the warm water in the enclosed drum?
We even cleaned dirty work jeans in the thing with great success.
We now have a washer/dryer aboard but if we did not, we’d be using the Ecowash for sure.
Bruce

Aug 2, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 40cc Little River, SC
We used an Ecowash on our previous boat. It actually works as advertised!
Something about the pressurization of the container once you begin spinning the warm water in the enclosed drum?
We even cleaned dirty work jeans in the thing with great success.
We now have a washer/dryer aboard but if we did not, we’d be using the Ecowash for sure.
Bruce
Thanks Bruce,

Aug 2, 2018
I
Always did fine with a dish pan. Warm water, soap, clothes. Use your feet as an agitator - till you get tired of dancing in the pan. Some soak time is good, warm water is better than cold. Drain, rinse, hang to dry. Never did get a decent spin cycle working..
I chuckled at the image of the crabby captain dancing around in a tub lol but that is a pretty neat idea!
Thanks
Cara

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I have been thinking about using, as a washing machine on a tiny boat, a 5 gal bucket with little fins on the outside attached at an angle like arrow feathers to give it a spin when you drag it behind the boat on a line with a swivel. Or, use wave action to agitate over night. Just a thought.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 2, 2018
I have been thinking about using, as a washing machine on a tiny boat, a 5 gal bucket with little fins on the outside attached at an angle like arrow feathers to give it a spin when you drag it behind the boat on a line with a swivel. Or, use wave action to agitate over night. Just a thought.

- Will (Dragonfly)
Woah, mind blown! I see Shark Tank in your future

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Someday when my wife and I are on a real boat to travel, I'll need to have another woman show all these washing ideas, as right now she would think I'm crazy and would have flash backs to my washing method of white and everything else results!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Plus, both of the items in the $8 approach can be used for other things. We have a rule that nothing comes on the boat unless it will do at least two things.

Hagar

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 42 Olympia Washington
We have a 10 liter waterproof gear bag we could use instead of the $50 scrubba but use the 5-gallon bucket and my foot as the agitator. Both have multiple purposes. I also carry a spare agitator :waycool:.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Pretty simple here. Aft head sink of water with a few drops of Dawn liquid soap and hand agitation does nicely for a set of clothes; shirt, short, socks. Then hang to dry on life lines. Ditto running clothes (shorts, shirt, socks), but those I wash during a shower and agitate with my feet. Been doing it for years.

Our boat was built plumbed for a washer/dryer combo, but never installed. Admiral talked about installing one but no action was taken by the skipper. If we lived aboard, or cruised for extended periods (years), perhaps it might make sense, but neither remain in the cards.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Scrubba $50 at Amazon.

Or

$4 + $4 = $8 total

Hummm?

-Will (Dragonfly)
My five gallon bucket is full of stern line. Far as I can tell, there is no other use for a plunger and it would have to be stored somewhere. I guess some can be broken down. The bag can be rolled up and stuffed somewhere..plus you can was clothes on the cockpit floor while sitting back and having brewski!

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
what about the wonder wash, non-electric portable clothes washer? anyone ever try one?