Selden Furling Mast Winch

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
We have the Selden furling mast which has a furling winch mount on the mast, now I have found that when reefing the main it is much easier to execute this task from the mast mount winch, the trouble is I don't have a winch handle that locks into the winch socket. The depth of the socket on the mast mounted winch is more shallow than an standard winch, any winch handle will fit in the socket,but none will lock in.
The question to you all, is this the case on all Selden rigs?
Is there a specific winch handle made for this purpose? (if so I haven't found it yet)

I would think that the fact that any standard winch handle fits in the socket it should lock in regardless of engagement depth, am I missing something here?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
It's a Selden mast so I have to think that would be a Selden winch, APS sold me a handle and claimed it would work, it did not!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It's a Selden mast so I have to think that would be a Selden winch, APS sold me a handle and claimed it would work, it did not!
Is this a production winch or something special Seldon fabricates? It would be incredibly expensive to fabricate a winch for such a limited market. Not arguing, just saying.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@capta, Selden is either #1 or #2 manufacturer of furling mast systems, the winch in question I believe is one of (2) types used on their furling masts. I would have to take an educated guess that this winch is a modified version of the Selden line of "production" winches.
Like I stated the socket of the winch is a standard that any of my handles fit, the depth however is about 5 - 7 mm shallower than a standard depth.
My reason to find one that fits right and locks in place is, one of my sons was on the deck reefing the main with the winch the jib sheet brushed him which spooked him and he donated a nice Lewmar handle to Neptune.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
@capta, Selden is either #1 or #2 manufacturer of furling mast systems, the winch in question I believe is one of (2) types used on their furling masts. I would have to take an educated guess that this winch is a modified version of the Selden line of "production" winches.
Like I stated the socket of the winch is a standard that any of my handles fit, the depth however is about 5 - 7 mm shallower than a standard depth.
My reason to find one that fits right and locks in place is, one of my sons was on the deck reefing the main with the winch the jib sheet brushed him which spooked him and he donated a nice Lewmar handle to Neptune.
No, I don't question your need for the right handle. I've never seen a "Seldon" winch for sale anywhere, but this thread got me looking around and it seems they have a whole line of winches. I guess they decided to go with proprietary handles. Bummer.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@capta, it gets worse, I bought a Selden winch handle, it won't lock into the Selden winch..... now hows that for a bugger

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
My Lewmar handles work fine for mine maybe try a Lewmar handlefrom WM.
Nick

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
My Lewmar handles work fine for mine maybe try a Lewmar handlefrom WM.
Nick
When you say works fine, does it lock in?I am starting to think that there is something amiss with mine, like the PO may have taken it apart to grease it and didn't get it back together correctly.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
DayDreamer41, I’m pretty sure they don’t want the handle to lock. When reefing in nasty winds youcan move the lever on the winch to the “ratchet” position and it will only furl in. This allows you to relax the continuous furling line and not have the sail pull back out due to wind pressure. We try to never go forward if we can help it, it’s safer. Hope this helps.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@uncledom, there is a distinct possibility that they (Selden) designed the winch socket so as not to allow a handle to lock into it, and I can almost understand why, given the fact if a handle was locked in the socket while the mainsail rapidly fed out it could cause phsical harm should anyone be in the way of the spinning handle, but on the other hand without locking in, a person working on the deck has to hold on to the handle with (2) hands, (1) hand ensuring engagement and the other cranking, which also poses a danger. @seadaddler stated that his Lewmar handles work fine, what I haven't heard yet is do his handles lock into the winch. This is why I posted this in the forums for all sailors, I looking for the answer, is the handle supposed to lock in or not, am I searching for a non existent part? or do I have something wrong with the winch?

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I have tried multiple brands and have never had any lock. I’m pretty sure they are designed not to lock. I hope that helps. When I get home in a week I will PM you the part number for the locking blocks.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I have tried multiple brands and have never had any lock. I’m pretty sure they are designed not to lock. I hope that helps. When I get home in a week I will PM you the part number for the locking blocks.
Well this is reassuring I guess my hunt is over for a locking handle, unless I make a custom hub and handle which is really not in the cards. Thanks again @uncledom

capta

Jun 4, 2009
I did notice Seldon made 'reversing' self-tailing winches and they mentioned something about being able to leave the winch handle in the winch when it was reversing safely. Perhaps contacting them directly could be your next step?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I did notice Seldon made 'reversing' self-tailing winches and they mentioned something about being able to leave the winch handle in the winch when it was reversing safely. Perhaps contacting them directly could be your next step?
@capta I did contact APS as they had a sale on the very winch handle you mention, they assured me that it would work the the reefing/furling winch on our boat........ it fits like all the others do, but alas it doesn't lock in, regardless of what APS claimed, which exactly why I posted here. I believe that @uncledom is correct there is no lock in feature of this reefing/furling winch.
So my next move is to take the best fitting winch handle drill a hole through it and tether it to the boat so as not to donate further to Neptune's garden, he has more than enough handles I am sure.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
We have the Selden furling mast which has a furling winch mount on the mast, now I have found that when reefing the main it is much easier to execute this task from the mast mount winch, the trouble is I don't have a winch handle that locks into the winch socket.
Capta, this is the reefing winch in question. It is a single use winch and an intrical part of the Selden mainsail furling system.

Interesting as 2 weeks ago we were furling in the main sail during (not before as we should have) a pretty heavy squall when the continuous furling line came (jumped???) out of the reefing winch. We did not have the winch in "Rachet" so of course the main unfurled completely making for an exciting few minutes. I went forward with a 10" Lewmar Titan winch handle and I too found it very easy to furl the main in this way. I did notice however that the 10" handle was about a 1/2" too long and it kept coming up against the boom as I cranked. This particular handle model is locking and I had a heck of a time unlocking it each rotation. Since then I tried several other 10" winch handles and found them all too long. I have a Quickline multi functional Winding Arm that is about 8.5" long and I am now using but will pickup an 8" Titan handle when the opportunity arises. All the handles were locking and they all seem to lock as expected in the reefing winch. Some released easily, others not so easily; but, they did seem to all lock.