1993 C30 MkIII Tall Rig w/ Wing Keel - Update

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I posted a lot of questions asking for help while we searched for, bought and prepped our 93 C30 TR WK for our first season sailing her. Here's an update for those who were patient and helped us along the way.

The primary goal for moving up from our O'day 25 was a more stable sailing boat with a larger, more comfortable cockpit and wheel steering. These were the requirements of my wife and we all know that life is better when the wife is happy.

The additional benefits of larger boat inside the cabin were secondary but I really appreciated the layout while working on the boat this spring. Especially the easy access to the engine.

Last week was our annual vacation on LBI. We stay in a rental that has a dock on a canal with the bay only 100 yards away. The boat was launched the week before and was still a mess inside from my many projects and the sails were still in the basement. With only an hour of practice maneuvering the C30, I motored the boat across the bay to LBI the Saturday we arrived. Having access to the boat just outside the back door, I was able to get the running rigging sorted out, wiped down the inside and put the cushions in place. By Monday afternoon the sails were hung and we were ready for our first sail.

The wind was up and the bay was choppy so to keep it simple we sailed with only the jib out. Cathy had a cervical fusion in April and while the Dr cleared her to go sailing, I was being sure to keep the boat flat and gentle.

While the C30 handled like I expected Cathy couldn’t get over how stable, smooth and comfortable the boat was compared to the O’day.

We sailed a couple hours each on Tue and Wed using only the jib.

Thursday we had light winds so we sailed with both the main and jib. We also did a sunset cruise.

On the Friday before we leave I always motor the boat back to the marina by myself but Cathy enjoyed the C30 so much, this time she came along for the ride.

I’m glad we moved up to the C30.
Cathy is ecstatic with our decision! She absolutely loves it!

I did have trouble getting back into our slip due to strong winds and little experience with a boat of this type and size. She suggested I speed up my learning curve by calling my ASA 101 instructor and asking if he could give me some docking lessons. He said sure and reminded me he has had his 87 C30 for over 25 years.
We met up on Thursday. He warned me the night before there were small craft warnings with winds 18-20 with gusts 25 plus. He would have canceled a normal 101 class but with a C30 he was OK with it if I was. I couldn’t pass up getting a chance to sail in 20 plus winds with someone who has the experience in the same boat as mine.
First we went over the boat and then set sail. He explained with these winds we only needed the first reef in the main and no jib.
We had winds 16 to 20 and much higher gusts, one we measured with a hand held meter at 26.2. The boat never rounded up and we spent a lot of time at or near hull speed.
We went over how all the lines were rigged, some improvements that could be made and he actually saved me some money by explaining how some upgrades I wanted to make were not needed. We practiced trimming for performance and trimming to keep it flat.
Then we went back to the slip and practiced docking in the high winds. It took a while to work out a docking plan and I did ding up the pulpit on a piling but overall it was a great experience and increased my confidence in what the boat and I could handle.

All of my upgrades, electrical wiring, batteries, ACR, charger, alternator, coolant hoses, HX cleaning, glow plug relay, new halyards, main sheet tackle, etc worked well except for one.

@Don Guillette You suggested I rig an external outhaul instead of fixing the internal outhaul but I stubbornly went ahead and built my own internal outhaul. It was an epic fail. Worked well at home but by the time the boom was mounted on the mast it was hung up. I switched to an external outhaul and it works great.

Never did get the new electric head, new autopilot, new inverter or all the LED lights installed but for now it’s all about sailing.

Here's our favorite photo of sun dogs, the bright spots on either side of the sun. Those spots "dog" the sun.
SD0 Sun Dog.jpg
And here is "Sun Dog"
SD1 Sun Dog.jpg
Copper, our 9 yr old golden, spent a lot of time lounging onboard while I got the boat ready.
SD2 Copper.jpg
Cathy relaxing on during our first time out with all sails up.
SD3 Cathy.jpg
Heres a general pic. Nice Harken traveler but someone led the lines through several blocks and mounted the cam cleats on the teak of the sliding hatch cover. That added a lot of friction. I'll be moving them back to the traveler. That triple main sheet block is a nice Harken ball bearing block. The other main sheet blocks are new Garhaurer series 40 blocks. The main sheet clam cleat and single rope clutch will be replaced with a triple Garhauer rope clutch.
SD4 Sun Dog.jpg
Here's the outhaul I rigged. Worked well. Will replace the horn cleat with a cam cleat at some point. Look close and you can see the clew strap I made. I sewed D rings onto both ends of a length of dyneema 1" webbing and used a shackle to attached to the clew. The dyneema slides easily on the boom.
SD5 Out Haul.jpg

Thanks all!

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Great report and I hope that your enjoyment builds as your familiarity with the boat grows.
Appears you found a real bona fide "expert" -- and that learning experience really Jump Started the learning curve.
(It's been 25 years since we acquired the boat that we still have, and we still remember our first few - wide eyed - outings where it seemed like we were piloting an 'aircraft carrier'... ! (we had moved up from a 26 footer).

Fair winds!
:)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Ward H What a great event. Loved the images. Boat looks great. Worth the trials you went through to find her. You are on your way. So happy that Cathy is up and able to enjoy the experience.
I like your external outhual. Are you considering racing? Trying to understand why you would change from the cleat to a camcleat. Cruising you change the adjustments less frequently then when racing trying to get that last ounce of speed constantly adjusting. I cruise and use a cleat because I want a solid set that is easy to adjust but not going to let go until I act upon it.

Now more planning for sailing. Less need to solve all the boat opportunities in one season.
Fair winds.

Oh almost forgot... My favorite way to come into a dock...

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
All of my upgrades, electrical wiring, batteries, ACR, charger, alternator, coolant hoses, HX cleaning, glow plug relay, new halyards, main sheet tackle, etc worked well except for one.

@Don Guillette You suggested I rig an external outhaul instead of fixing the internal outhaul but I stubbornly went ahead and built my own internal outhaul. It was an epic fail. Worked well at home but by the time the boom was mounted on the mast it was hung up. I switched to an external outhaul and it works great.

Ward: Sorry to hear your outhaul fix didn't work. It looked good on paper. I've never mentioned this to anyone but originally, when I installed my setup I was obviously working from the cockpit. I got it all rigged up and tested it and it worked great but I extended the the outhaul line only a few feet from the end of the boom never considering that I could only adjust the line while closehauled!! Back at the dock, my wife asked me why I was tearing the system apart -- again. I told her I wanted to extend the line to the mast and back to the cockpit, which I did.

I too loved my C30. We started out with a Mac22, moved to C25 and finally to the C30, which I should have purchased in the first place. The C30 is a great cruising and forgiving boat and it was easy for me to dock. My slip was upwind and 3 slips from the end of the gangway. I approached the slip way under power and shifted to neutral as I entered the slipway and merely drifted into the slip. It didn't matter how hard the wind was blowing. The harder the wind the easier it was to dock. One day the tranny linkage broke with the tranny in forward and I had to dock under power. Wasn't sure how that was going to work at the time but I stopped OK -- by bouncing off the front of the slip.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
where it seemed like we were piloting an 'aircraft carrier'
Yep, good anology. My first few sails with the O'day, in 2013, I likened each sail to an aircraft carrier. Easy to leave the slip, have a great sail but each docking was like a carrier landing. I called my ASA instructor then and sped up the learning curve.
I like your external outhual. Are you considering racing? Trying to understand why you would change from the cleat to a camcleat.
Both my dock neighbor, who's boat I almost nailed, and the instructor suggested that with this boat and my desire to improve my sailing, I give racing a try. At times I like playing with sail trim controls, other times I just sit back and relax, so I may give racing a try.
As to the cleat vs cam cleat, just another thing on my long list of things to do that sounds like a good idea. It may get done when I feel like tinkering instead of sailing.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Great report, nice story, wonderful to hear things do work out in the end! Nothing like having good faith restored...:) Have a great summer.

May 17, 2004
Ward: I never raced my C30 mainly because I installed every creature comfort my wife wanted on the boat. There were a number of married guys I knew at the marina and I never once saw their wives!! I didn't want to be like them so whatever she wanted in order to keep going with me to the boat she got and when I finally sold the boat and removed all the stuff the waterline came up 2"!!
Many times what I would do during beer can races was line up about 200 yards off to the side of the start line and I'd take off with them toward the 1st mark. My big old C30, which I was single handling, didn't do too bad.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
@Ward H What a great event. Loved the images. Boat looks great. Worth the trials you went through to find her. You are on your way. So happy that Cathy is up and able to enjoy the experience.
I like your external outhual. Are you considering racing? Trying to understand why you would change from the cleat to a camcleat. Cruising you change the adjustments less frequently then when racing trying to get that last ounce of speed constantly adjusting. I cruise and use a cleat because I want a solid set that is easy to adjust but not going to let go until I act upon it.

Now more planning for sailing. Less need to solve all the boat opportunities in one season.
Fair winds.

@jssailem Thanks for sharing the video. I'm told we're going to practice that maneuver a lot. I always though my docking skills were pretty good, apparently the crew thinks otherwise. :confused:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Both my dock neighbor, who's boat I almost nailed, and the instructor suggested that with this boat and my desire to improve my sailing, I give racing a try. At times I like playing with sail trim controls, other times I just sit back and relax, so I may give racing a try.
A season on the race course will teach you more about sailing than 10 years of cruising. As a novice racer, try to find a club that is competitive enough so you can learn, but not so competitive that you get discouraged. In the first year of racing expect to see a lot of transoms before you start showing them yours.

If you get into a fleet that is too competitive, you'll be sailing against other boats and the skipper's checkbook. Unless you are flat out committed to hard core racing, you will end up frustrated.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I’m glad you and your wife are enjoying the new boat. It looks like summer in NJ has finally arrived. We just got back from an overnight sail trip to the Brigantine cove. You may want to consider a trip there. It’s a nice sheltered area with a few free mooring balls. Across the water way on the AC side is Gardner’s Basin which has a few nice places to eat.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Awesome Ward to hear the update. I passed on a Hunter 27 that was good but just not enough improvement on the O'day 25.

May 17, 2004
Ward: The C30 is an easy and forgiving boat to sail. Before I every attempted to do anything (play golf, shoot competitively, play tennis, work a Iphone (actually I don't have one -- I use a flip phone and most times I don't turn it on because no one calls me -- my wife said that if I turned it on maybe people would!!) was I first learn how to get 100% efficiency out of whatever the sport was such as the sails on your C30 and then if you want to get into racing contact Jackdaw and hire him to show you the fine points. You really need to know how all the sail trim controls work before he shows up or a lot of time/money will be wasted. By the way, the difference between racing trim and cruising trim is there is no difference -- Dennis Conner told me that in a Shelter Island bar in San Diego.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Don. While D Conner would definitely say that there was never a time he was not racing his boat.

May 17, 2004
Don. While D Conner would definitely say that there was never a time he was not racing his boat.
Probably. Here's the "rest of the story". My wife and I were in San Diego for the America Cup Race's, which was probably before a lot of forum lister's were born!! The US teams were stand-offish and didn't want to "mix with the crowd" but the Aussie's were something else - they loved everyone and we found that to be true when we later visited AZ & NZ. If we didn't live in the US AZ & NZ would be our next choice. Anyway, a mate who I didn't recognize at the time, came into the bar and the AZ guys knew who he was and and exchange greeting. Next, he sits at the bar next to my wife and myself and engages us in conversation about sailing and the America Cup. He is the finest sailing gentlemen I've ever met and I'll never forget the encounter. After some correspondence he sent me a autographed copy of his book "Sail like A Champion" which I used as a bible for my book.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Ward: The C30 is an easy and forgiving boat to sail. Before I every attempted to do anything (play golf, shoot competitively, play tennis, work a Iphone (actually I don't have one -- I use a flip phone and most times I don't turn it on because no one calls me -- my wife said that if I turned it on maybe people would!!) was I first learn how to get 100% efficiency out of whatever the sport was such as the sails on your C30 and then if you want to get into racing contact Jackdaw and hire him to show you the fine points. You really need to know how all the sail trim controls work before he shows up or a lot of time/money will be wasted. By the way, the difference between racing trim and cruising trim is there is no difference -- Dennis Conner told me that in a Shelter Island bar in San Diego.
Ha, no need to hire, just ask. Plus if I’m ever over on the shore, I’ll expect a ride!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
I've never mentioned this to anyone but originally, when I installed my setup I was obviously working from the cockpit. I got it all rigged up and tested it and it worked great but I extended the the outhaul line only a few feet from the end of the boom never considering that I could only adjust the line while closehauled!! Back at the dock, my wife asked me why I was tearing the system apart -- again. I told her I wanted to extend the line to the mast and back to the cockpit, which I did.
Don, I have room to run two more lines to the cockpit. I was thinking cunningham and boom vang. I can reach the outhaul cleat pretty easy.
Of those three, cunningham, boom vang and outhaul, which two would be adjusted the most making it more valuable to have them led back to the cockpit?
(main halyard, main sheet, jib halyard and reefing line are in the cockpit now).

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
The first line I pick up coming into the slip is the spring line tied to the aft starboard piling. I drop the eye splice over a cleat mounted on the outside genoa track. The cleat is about even with the life line gate.
With this spring line and in forward gear at idle, I seem to settle with the bow against the mid piling and the stern against the aft port piling.
The trick of course is to pick up the spring line with the boat hook.
This video has given me an idea on how to improve this.