Navy stealth boats in Dana Point

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Navy Special Boat Operations.
Today in Dana Point.
Although a different sailor aboard said not Navy. (?)
Hailing from Coronado (San Diego).
Boat design based on offshore racing boat. Although these are ground-up built as military boats.
Solid aluminum. (My observation)
Diesel engines - I heard them idling.
Cruise speed - 40 knots.
Top speed - wouldn't tell me.
Radar evasive? - wouldn't tell me.
Weapons? - wouldn't tell me. Except yes those are machine gun mounts.
"Can I play with the throttles?"
"No."
"Can I check out the guns?"
"No."
"Can I look through the thermal imager?"
"No."
:biggrin:
Really nice guys. Talked to me for 10 minutes, and were patient with my stupid jokes. Happy to answer questions... Even those they couldn't answer.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
While on the ferry to Ft Sumpter in the Charleston Harbor I saw a fast boat heading up river. It was shaped something like these boats. Grey colored and the surfaces that form radar minimal reflecting surfaces like the F117. Boat was fast and transited before I could get my phone up to take a good image.
Certainly Navy in Charlestown not sure there are any Seals operating there.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
CCM Mk1 naval special warfare craft of the US Special Forces

http://www.hisutton.com/World survey of Special Operations Craft.html

Sounds like these are SEALS or SBU (Special Boat Unit) in support of SEAL operations.
They are built of a double aluminum hull to resist small arms fire and exceed 40 knots in speed (Personally, I think she can do nearly twice that). Her range is about 400 miles. I saw a related article on an competitor vessel that had jetskis, stowed behind the transom. The machine guns are gyroscopically stabilized 12.7mm in the bow along with grenade launchers and more.
She can be picked up and dropped by helicopter.

You know, if you put a sail on her and allowed her engines to shift from side to side as ballast with daggerboards that double as armour, you could extend her range and drop her off anywhere to sail quietly up to her target mission area while conserving fuel for extraction.

Pretty impressive.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Oh goody, Admiral wet dreams is at it again. How many billion apiece did these things cost? VII Corps, 3 days to Baghdad and we get rid of them. 17 years of ops in Afghanistan with no end in sight. Color me biased but without a solid Army all the special ops and boats accomplish bupkiss.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Capt Williard, Chief Phillips, and LtCol Kilgore would have loved these.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
The only things inside the main cabin were jump seats. About a dozen. And the helm.
I couldn't see forward.
These boats are for bringing specialized waterborne soldiers and their weapons to a threat or objective at very high speed and in a low profile.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So true Kermie... Sumter...Sumter... Sumter...
Kind of like BeetleJuice... Say it three times and the curse is lifted.

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
Those are definitely badass. The only way the could make it better is to mount some speakers so that they could play Metallica's enter the sandman at full volume when entering and leaving port

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Lockheed Martin makes a competitor craft that is probably even faster.
There are some nice toys out there these days. ...for a price.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Boat builders during prohibition used to sell fast boats to the bootleggers and the feds. They would make them a little faster each time to keep the competition going. Made a lot of money that way

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
K.I.S.S. NSW RHIB. All weather. You can put it right on the beach.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Those are definitely badass. The only way the could make it better is to mount some speakers so that they could play Metallica's enter the sandman at full volume when entering and leaving port
That's classified.

Lockheed Martin makes a competitor craft that is probably even faster.
There are some nice toys out there these days. ...for a price.
The Baracuda. I think I read that it was semi-submersible.

-Will (Dragonfly)