New rudder stuffing box

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
Has anyone else replaced their one? I searched but the latest post was from 10 years ago :\.

I've contacted Buck Algonquin to see if they can make one (though the shaft is 2"3/8 and they don't list that size on their website), has anyone had any luck elsewhere?

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
What happened to yours?
It won't stop leaking, I've pulled it out and repacked it four times including with the goretex stuff.

The top looks like its corroded away a bit as well - it's not a perfect round circle anymore, has a slight 'bite' out of it

I tried Buck Algonquin and though they were very nice, they said they don't make them in that shaft size :(

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Well that sucks. I think its the same stuffing box on the H37C rudder shaft. I had mine out years ago and I believe that the original was made by Wilcox Crittenden who are out of business.

I would remove the rudder stuffing box from the boat and get it to the work bench or the machine shop. This is not trivial and is probably best done during a haul out. It may be that the gland ring - the part that tightens down on the packing with 3 bolts - is deformed or damaged. I am pretty sure it could be repaired, but worse case, a machine shop could make a new one. Alternately, this could possible be modified to work by cutting a recess for packing in it? And as an interim measure you might try some WPT Drip Less packing - its intended for smaller diameters , i.e. prop shaft, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for your rudder shaft. Keep us updated on how you fare.

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
Yup, I guess I'll have to pull it off and take it to a machine shop. Probably when the boat is out the water. Oh well!

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
You don't say what boat it is. If a 33, it is simply a stainless pipe, male threaded at the top with a packing nut at the top. Bad design and manufacture allow the portion that holds the packing to corrode away. I contacted Buck Algonquin, then sent my old nut to them. They duplicated it in stainless and sent both back for what I can only remember as moderate money. Quite a while ago, probably around 2000 or so. I assume my posts are still in the archives.

Sam Lust