Technology is getting overly creepy

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I actually like targeted advertising. I'd rather see ads for anchors and outboard motors than lipstick and tampons. But it does start getting creepy when your phone, your car, your refrigerator, etc are all listening to you 24/7. And this type of technology is only in its infancy. THAT'S the creepy part.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
A few years ago, I read of a case where the feds were listening to someone on their car's onstar & there was an accident. Because the onstar was hacked to be a listening device at the time, the emergency call did not go out as it should have. I can no longer find the case reference with google. The closest that I can still find is a reference to a related 9th circus court ruling that followed. The case law is not encouraging for people who enjoy their privacy.

http://www.tonyrogers.com/news/onstar.htm
"The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals recently ruled in OnStar's favor. The ruling was not based on invasion-of-privacy grounds or some other legitimate constitutional basis. The FBI lost because the OnStar passive live answering service listening feature disables the emergency signal, the very life-saving call for help that the advertisements tout as the main reason to purchase the system.

"The precedent has been set," stated former Georgia Rep. Bob Barr.

"The grounds on which the 9th Circuit reached the decision were not on the privacy aspects of the case. Under the CALEA [Communications Assistance to Law Enforcement Act] laws, the FBI blocking of the emergency signal constituted a breach of the consumers' contract."

The technical problem of blocking the emergency signal is clearly one that the FBI tech teams can overcome. Thus, under the current ruling, the FBI can resume using OnStar to monitor subject vehicles once it has solved the emergency issue."

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
We usd to be happy that there was no cell coverage at the mooring. Now I guess we need to put on extra coffee. :)

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Siri = OFF / I never use it
Location Services = OFF / Only when necessary (ski app, google maps, iSailor)
APP Updates = OFF /Done Manually
Wi-Fi = OFF / Only on when I am using it
GPS = OFF / See location services
Bluetooth = OFF / Only on when I am using it

I routinely get 4-5 days of battery life from an iPhone 7+...
That is almost there for privacy.
1) Change Safari search engine to "Duck Duck Go" not Google and I used to use Bing. Never Yahoo!
2) Get the Apple certified App Cleaner from the App Store and remove the "tentacles" of spy ware. When you use it, it will find Apps that you Thought you deleted. My iPad speed and memory zoomed up!
3) After Cleaning... Turn off your notification center and App Updates. The minute you agree to TOS, they turn on what they want AGAIN.:banghead:
4) Your true locations services (not the hidden ones before cleaning) may, depending on the App, may reset.
5) Your GPS is never OFF.
6) The minute you turn Bluetooth ON, and you haven't "cleaned the apps" ... look out!

BEWARE OF FREE APPS!:yikes: [on iPad iPhone, get them certified by Apple]

_____
I can't remember the special, on I think Tucker Carlson, about this problem.
Best my memory recalls...
Reporter bought a, not Apple, smart phone. Turned on, then turned it off immediately. No apps added.
Stuck in his pocket and did a day long tour of DC, which he kept track by video crew and notes of his time and tour points. Ate Lunch too.

After the tour, they connected a special Sim Card patch machine and recorded all the data being transmitted by the OFF phone, after he turned that smart phone on the second time.
It transmitted his timing, conversations and GPS data of his exact route.:yikes:

Not Creepy, just how they use your computing devices to market and THAT is the NEWest high tech industry in the USA, silicon valley has fallen behind. "click bait":hook2:
______
BTW Apple is angering people now. Why? [I do know this as fact after talking to a Senior Tech Adviser, not a normal Tech on Apple]
Apple just under went the biggest files system protocol change since 1985 and its internet/intranet protocol.
All of the Developers were warned but Apple is now forcing software upgrades and machines older than 10yrs are starting to "fade into the sunset". It is not for profit so much as, the newest protections that Apple has a long term reputation of not being hacked. So if you get the latest iOS, you may have to upgrade App etc.

Jim...

PS: Long winded but LOOK OUT, plus I am not sure I still have a clean iPad.o_O
PSS: Google and Adobe and Flash Player are GONE from my devices.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It's all about the crowd in the cloud. "They" are listening, but no "one" is listening. Not enough listeners and too many talkers.
My guess is the phone knew you were in the candy shop and the candy shop reported the sale to an accounting cloud app or something like that. The computer at "central control" put the coincidental events together and concluded you bought and like chicken bones. Or, they listen in for key words. But our security around our privacy lays in the preference for making money through marketing over population control and domination. It will morph, one day, into that, because people just can't help themselves, but for now. There's still a choice.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Makes me happy that there is so much of our coast that has NO cell coverage! ( except in an emergency of coarse)

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
It transmitted his timing, conversations and GPS data of his exact route.:yikes:
They key here is they Never Said Who was the owner of the smart phone.
They just used your expensive device and battery life to do market research and SELL IT!
Jim...

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
But anyone who would want to listen to me must *really* be bored.
Hmmmm?
I guess I am Bored very often by you, because I listen to you a lot on SBO.:kick:

PS: Did you ever notice the COLOR of the kicker in that emoji?

or the even the COLOR of the LIKE hand?
Conspiracy or Coincidence on @Kermit number of Likes?:pimp:
Jim...

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Try the Sim Card. There is still power with battery out.
Jim...
You are going to need to explain that one to me. I have a pretty well rounded background in electronics. That would be new news to me.

Passive encryption that is accessible with external powered interrogation, maybe. A capacitor that holds charge for a short time after the battery is gone, maybe. But power inside the chip would be something I have not seen before.

In the case of passive encryption, removing the chip from the phone would not stop the remote interrogation from being successful. You would need to shield it or damage it. RFID tags work that way. I don't know if a SIM has that capability or not.

Last edited: