Anyone use this? Osborne's Barnacle Dissolver for props

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Looks like an interesting product. I wonder how it compares to something like clean ???

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Is it just an acid solution? Dissolving calcium-like deposits?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'd bet the active ingredient is still muriatic acid, available quite cheaply in any building supply store. Very dangerous stuff, we'll buy a gallon for a single use, then leave it behind when we depart, for others to use. We NEVER carry it aboard our vessel.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
When I have used the stuff, I buy a little and dilute it. Then label the container with all kinds of warnings.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I'd bet the active ingredient is still muriatic acid, available quite cheaply in any building supply store. Very dangerous stuff, we'll buy a gallon for a single use, then leave it behind when we depart, for others to use. We NEVER carry it aboard our vessel.
:plus:

Muriatic Acid is simply hydrochloric acid (HCl).... also stomach acid. Try throwing up on your prop...:puke:(my first time using that emoji! woo wooo)

Vinegar is also cheap... and less dangerous.

If all else fails many auto rim cleaners are dilute hydrofluoric acid. Not so good on carbonate deposits but very good on any mineral deposits containing silicates. Hydrofluoric acid will etch glass so it will actually dissolve silicate based minerals but does not attack metal.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Looks the same as Lime Away which has worked for me on fiberglass or metal. Remove the rough stuff first with a wire wheel or scraper then apply with a brush.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Urea Hydrochloride. Basically what head sail says, lime away cleaner.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
After you dry 50 gals of it in the sun, turn it to salt and mix it with 2 shots of cheap rum and 6 oz. of water! Better to just buy the Osborne’s!

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
After you dry 50 gals of it in the sun, turn it to salt and mix it with 2 shots of cheap rum and 6 oz. of water! Better to just buy the Osborne’s!
that's alot of pints of beer.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
so can I just pee on my prop?
Better to just bury it in the litter box over the winter. Or spray it with hardware store zinc primer in the spring and never get the barnaces to begin with.
Btw, cute cat!

Nov 10, 2018
S2 9.2a Marblehead, Massachusetts
Anyone know why this stuff has become so hard to find? I used it last year and it worked like magic...