Looking for new outboard advice 4 stroke for a h23

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Hi All
Its still very much winter here in the north east so dreaming about what else to do to the h23 before the season.

Lots in motion - sails fully being cleaned mended - interior is being restored all headliner carpet is getting removed and painted - new cusions for vberth and main cabin - mast / bimins- new lexan - New lewmars 7 winchs - electrics plus more - and I’ll definately post before and afters.

Motor advice please :
It was pretty tempermental last season - left us in some not so good situations.
She has a 1995 9.9 Mercury 2 stroke. I finally got the hang of it by the end of the season and know how to work it if I get in a jam - opening the throttle when it wouldnt start on the water etc.
I had the impeller replaced plugs and the motor was winterized. So it should be Ok this season. But its noisy - 2 stroke smells more - right? Throw in the tempermental of a worring about a 20yr old motor makes me think want to upgrade to a four stroke - either a 5 or 6hp or at most a 8hp. I’d like to get a 8 electric - but those are way too much $$ and my wife prob wouldn’t let me get away with that!

The 9.9 feels actually like too much motor for the 23 - can I get away with a 5 or 6hp ?
My marina guys are mercury mechs.

Anyone out there using a 4 or 5 hp small outboard on a h23 - is it enough power?

Thanks!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I know you are really wanting a new motor (or at least a new to you motor). But while you are waiting, try rebuilding your present motor. I had the same issue as you with starting. In idle it was a no go. But when I quickly did a WOT at start the engine worked. But no sooner I moved it to idle it stalled. The issue was the low speed jets in the carb. Took it apart and cleaned the carb and she runs like a beast.

I would say while searching for a new motor, clean out the carb on your present motor and see if you can get a few more seasons worth.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I sailed a similar boat for years with a 7.5 HP Honda .. A 6 HP four stroke would be fine ..

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
There is a recent thread on this with a 23.5. Ive got a honda 8 on my 23.5, but Im sure a 6 will work. But I like a little extra.

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Thanks All
Brian D - 9.9 I cleaned out the carb and she idles fine most of the time. But even after running it a bit during a day sail/ anchor/sail motor in - then it would not start - unless WOT. Even the plug change didn’t stop that.
When I first got the boat - we were stuck in rough winds / sails down pulling into the marina when the motor cut and wouldnt start back up. I left me not in love with the 9.9 the rest of the season even after learning the WOT trick
post cleaning the carb.

Is a 4 stroke really cleaner then the 2?
The 4 stroke 2 cylinder is probobaly quieter then the 4stroke single 6hp?

I found a merc 8hp elh on ebay = 1200$ trying to find out the year / hours
new one is $2500 plus.

6hp - 1700-1800$ new but thats still alot of moola.
I’m going to swing by the marina today and see if they have 4strokes

Honda 7.5 sounds like a great option too.
what do you guys think?

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I own a mariner 19, 1500 lbs +, with gear. The consensus on the mariner website seems to be that 5hp for a mariner is more than enough. Many owners have 2hp. I would think 6 to 8 would work great for your boat. 10hp seems like overkill, but if you have it and it works... It would over stress the transom on a mariner, especially if you trailer with the motor in place. I wouldn't do that. That's really where the smaller motors have an advantage, easier to lift and handle off the motor mount.
Brian's advice seems like the best advice. Take the cheapest, most effective route and spend your money on what you really want. If that's a motor, then go there.

My plans are to under power my boat with electric 86lb thrust trolling motor for about $400 + battery system and build a yuloh backup. I'm not going to be sailing in much that will call for more than a way to get from trailer to dock and back.

My former boat was a hobie 18 with no motor at all. Was never an issue, but that's a different kind of sailing.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
A four stroke is much cleaner than a 2. Thats why the 2 strokes were banned from production a while back.

You can get a new honda 8 for $2300, but yeah, its a lot of money. Any new motor is. And to me, used cost too much for used. Id just as soon spend the bucks for a new one with known history. Check out OnlineOutboards.com. I had a very good experience w them when I bought a new motor last year.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
What many tend to overlook which has been mentioned to clean the fine jets of the carb is a good suggestion. First we do not know what type of fuel you are using whether it is ethanol or ethanol free. Since the introduction of corn crap and I mean crap in the fuel, it created an issue which I experienced as a dealer. The problem is the corn crap or ethanol as the polite term it is does clog those jets. Therefore if you insist on buying ethanol gas then add the additive that you think is the best to combat that corn crap. Otherwise, spend the extra monies and buy ethanol free gas and that will help solve a lot of issues. If going to store it over winter, do not for safety but I used it in my trucks so to buy fresh fuel in the beginning of the season. In addition to that, simply let the engine run out of fuel every time you use that engine. Best advice I use to give my customers.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I had a 6 hp 2-stroke on my 1986 H23 and never, ever, ever felt the need for more power. But that was on an inland lake. And as for 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke my experience is that at idle the 4 is quieter but they still make a lot of noise as they are throttled up. And you never need to change engine oil in a 2-stroke. I’ll keep my 2-stroke as long as possible, thank you very much. And I’m kinda lucky in that ethanol-free is readily available here.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
Drew,
When and where did you get your 23? I sold mine several years ago to someone not too far from you, in White Lake, NY, and it had a '95 Mercury 9.9 that ran like crap : ) But the topsides were not that nice blue your seems to have.

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
I have a H23 and installed a Tohatsu 4 hp long shaft 4stroke at the beginning of last season. Because someone stole my 4 Hp Evinrude 2stroke. I couldn't be happier. Pushes the boat at about 5.5 knots at half throttle and has held it's own in a few serious blows with decent waves. Fuel economy is great and the quieter operation is very nice. Startup is usually 2 pulls and runs great. Price was nice too.

Jan 3, 2010
Hunter 41AC LA
Bear in mind that the 4 stroke motor you buy will weigh about 30% more for the same horsepower as an equivalent two stroke. In your two stroke, make sure that the mix is right - (not too heavy on the oil just in case) and if you are not using 4 star premium non ethanol fuel, change over. Then clean you jets again and see how it goes. As long as you don't run them without oil in the mix, 2 strokes are normally bullet proof.