South Carolina - Charleston and Savannah

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We are planning a visit to South Carolina.
My wife wants to visit Charleston and Savannah.
  1. Can anyone give me some ideas where to stay in these cities.
  2. Places we should see. Currently have a Tuesday to catch a glimpse of Charleston.
  3. Savannah we have 2 full days.
I know this will barely be enough for a glimpse.
I welcome all of your ideas.
Thanks for your help.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
You will need a passport to go to Savannah, it's in Georgia. :) Somewhere downtown Savannah as you can see a lot on foot but you do need a box of chocolates. Kidding aside take a Gray Line tour of both cities. The best money you will spend.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
We are planning a visit to South Carolina.
My wife wants to visit Charleston and Savannah.
  1. Can anyone give me some ideas where to stay in these cities.
  2. Places we should see. Currently have a Tuesday to catch a glimpse of Charleston.
  3. Savannah we have 2 full days.
I know this will barely be enough for a glimpse.
I welcome all of your ideas.
Thanks for your help.
When?????

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
April 2-13. Thanks Lee for the help. Never been to these fun towns. I have heard about them. Looking forward to the adventure.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The obvious attractions are a must. If you are in a car, drive north along route 17. There are people who have stands along the road to sell their crafts. They are famous for their basket weaving. You can buy the same stuff at the old slave market in town but at twice the price. Plus, the road side stands give you a more immersive feeling into the local culture.
We enjoyed watching a couple busking with banjo and spoons the last time we were there.

In Savanna, visit the cemetary. Stay at a B&B. They are opulent in Savanna.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Two beautiful cities with many different types of activities and sights. With the short time you will have you will need to narrow your choices to where your true interests are, Civil war history, architecture, colonial history, naval history, eateries, shopping, to name afew. My list of favorites for Charleston are : Patriots Point, there is a post WW2 aircraft carrier, a sub, a destroyer an outdoor military vehicle park; the old customs outdoor market, lots of shops and good eats everywhere; the horse drawn carriage ride gives you a slow look at the wonderful old buildings and you get an interesting history lesson from the driver; and there is always Fort Sumter. I have less experiences in Savaannah, but would def recommend a trip to the old waterfront docks and a walking ghost tour (at night of course).

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
In Savanna, visit the cemetary. Stay at a B&B. They are opulent in Savanna.
We stayed at the Eliza Thompson House on Jones St. in the historic center a couple of years ago in Savannah. Very nice and within walking distance of everything you'll have time to see. http://bedandbreakfast-savannah.com/hotel/315635 The cemetery is a must as is the waterfront district. The ghost tour is fun but they have one in every old city in the country. I believe the same tour company runs them all. Whatever you do in Savannah you'll have fun.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
You have chosen our two favorite cities to visit. But, definitely not enough time. In addition to all the great suggestions above:
Charleston;
Take the horse drawn carriage tour.
Husk Restaurant.
Jestine'sKitchen.
Savannah;
Definitely the river walk.
City Market.
Our favorite place to stay is Planter's Inn - good location, free breakfast and wine and cheese social.
https://www.plantersinnsavannah.com...D_BwE&ef_id=UjexxAAAAF-1ujxL:20180131190314:s

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I wish I could remember the name of the inn my wife and I stayed at in Savannah. We stayed in two, but the 1st one had Grecian columns and a hot tub spa with changing colored lights in it, all in one large 'L' shaped room. It seems that canopied beds and cherubs are SOP.
The delicious home cooked breakfasts were included.

- Will (Dragonfly)

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
You mean azaleas, yes?
Couldn't help myself and had to Google that. Actually Azellia is a French boy's name although not very popular so I don't think jssaillem means that. But, we won't go there. It is, evidently, also another spelling for azalea. Didn't know that. And we thought this was only a sailing forum. :)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Couldn't help myself and had to Google that. Actually Azellia is a French boy's name although not very popular so I don't think jssaillem means that. But, we won't go there. It is, evidently, also another spelling for azalea. Didn't know that. And we thought this was only a sailing forum. :)
I promise you... ain’t *nobody* spell it that way around these here parts.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
By the way. If you haven't tried grits. Don't let instant be your first taste. And don't believe the waiter when you ask unless he/she is older than 40 and has that real southern feel about them. You will know by how they go on about "real" grits. Stone ground grits cooked in broth, not water, and have it with stuff in it: cheese, shrimp, ham, bacon. Oh man, I'm making myself hungry. Grits are awesome by themselves, but shrimp grits cooked in chicken broth made a convert out of my Yankee wife.

- Will (Dragonfly)

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I'll have a takeout order for 2 on the shrimp grits as its been years that I had some. BTW do you deliver?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
BTW do you deliver?
My wife managed to talk 3 different women into sharing their sacred grits recipes, handed down for generations and bought several pounds of stone ground grits from the Loveless Cafe, outside Nashville. She then went home and fed me bowls of heaven for a month trying to perfect them. She is an awesome cook and did amazing, Yankee or not. :)
So, within a 20 mile radius, sure we deliver;)
BTW, I grew up on grits, but the Quaker instant kind, and I love them. Real stone ground grits simmered for almost 3 hours is a completely different food and very well worth the time:p

- Will (Dragonfly)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
It’s actually shrimp and grits. Honest to God I’ve never heard it referred to as shrimp grits.