Winter Sailing II

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
On our visit to Venice last summer, I was discussing the water and tides with the locals. They said every winter seasonal winds from Africa blow the Mediterranean north and raise the water level as much as a meter. They installed a tidal dike that is raised each winter to reduce the damage these high waters do to the lagoon and the city.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
On our visit to Venice last summer, I was discussing the water and tides with the locals. They said every winter seasonal winds from Africa blow the Mediterranean north and raise the water level as much as a meter. They installed a tidal dike that is raised each winter to reduce the damage these high waters do to the lagoon and the city.
Indeed. Those same winds (the scirocco) carry red African sand well into the middle of Med. One February day we got absolutely covered with it in Crete.

Jan 11, 2017
Hunter 37c Kingston
Crete is my favourite place on earth, I guess when the winds there shift to westerlies (Suhali) winds it can cover decks out past the Cap Verdes. Man I love Crete.

Nov 8, 2010
Crete is my favourite place on earth, I guess when the winds there shift to westerlies (Suhali) winds it can cover decks out past the Cap Verdes. Man I love Crete.
@Loyalist , Cool! Never heard of that wind, is that a local name?

Jan 11, 2017
Hunter 37c Kingston
@Loyalist , Cool! Never heard of that wind, is that a local name?
I had a friend out of Prince Rupert BC. who had sailed around to the North Coast from England and built a boat in Rupert and named it Suhali. When I asked him where the name came from he said he got it from Africa where he learned about it after shovelling the sand off of his decks.

Jan 11, 2017
Hunter 37c Kingston
Thank you for the very informative article Larry. Does that Harley need a cleaning every time you dive?

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Sadly, my motorcycle days are behind me. Bad back and bad hip don't go well with riding. Getting the hip fixed soon though.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
As soon as the water softens enough to get out, you get out.

We had about 4 inches of ice at one point, but it's going fast.

You do have to dress for it, of course. It was 55F at the marina but more like low forties on the water. The main thing is to wear a wind-proof shell and cover the head. Ski goggles simply make good sunglasses below 45F.

Why bother? the quiet and migratory ducks are two reasons. No powerboat wakes; it's the only time of year when ghosting in light air is really pleasant. It also reduces my cost/day.

Don't fall in. You will die.

Nov 8, 2010
It also brings its own set of dangers for your boat
88FA6BF2-E8A2-4950-B4B7-04BA954E3BB9.jpeg

Jan 11, 2017
Hunter 37c Kingston
Sadly, my motorcycle days are behind me. Bad back and bad hip don't go well with riding. Getting the hip fixed soon though.
I got a new knee and only go for short rides in the country, so far so good. But the back is the main limiter.

Jan 11, 2017
Hunter 37c Kingston
You win!! I think I would like it for a short ride but I haven't seen any sails down at this end of the Bay. I have my boom apart and hope to bend on the main tomorrow. New injector insulators should be here on Wednesday and maybe a sail on. Friday.

Nov 8, 2010
I need to find out how to capture this so I can put it on our facebook for our friends up north. Did it blow a thru-hull?
I don't know, maybe someone out east does. I assumed (looking at the pic) that the cold weather overcame the bubblers, or that stopped. The cold water/ice froze in a thru-hull, dooming the boat.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...raise the water level as much as a meter. They installed a tidal dike that is raised each winter to reduce the damage these high waters do to the lagoon and the city.
This is what Annapolis is experiencing. Undecided so far what to do about it.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Saw or read a piece recently on the wind blown African sands being a significant contributor to the make up of the Bahamas

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...reate-islands-carbonate-rich-foundations.html
I just heard about the whiting effect here in the Abaco’s. Apparently the water saturation of calcium carbonate gets heavy and the precipitate falls out in a white cloudy area in the water. We may be close to having it happen near Treasure Cay since the water has been milky for the last two weeks. It was very clear just before Christmas.

All U Get