VDO Tacho / Hour Meter Repair

Apr 8, 2016
Beneteau 361 Clipper Garrucha, Spain
Hi friends,
if you have a VDO Tacho with hour meter that does not work you may already know its a common fault. Even though the LCD may have given up the ghost, the data is not lost. So you can just replace the LCD, it was a simple job and worth the $65 the part cost.

However, I had hoped my 2003 VP2030 engine had done slightly less hours!! But hey, at least I know!

IMG-0032.jpg

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
What part and where & how do you get it? I have same problem on Yanmar hour-meter! I replaced it with a mechanical unit... Would prefer the original to show hours.
Pierre

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Replaced for less with a mechanical counter; we use ours mostly for fuel/range calculations.

Apr 8, 2016
Please post parts source and detailed instructions on replacement.
Hi guys,
Here is the link to a YouTube video showing how to replace the LCD, the suppliers details are included. Im not particularly machanically minded but found it a very simple project. Hope you are happier than I was with hours displayed!

Apr 8, 2016
Replaced for less with a mechanical counter; we use ours mostly for fuel/range calculations.
Benny, I have one too, but I really wanted to know what the engine had done since launch, this was the only way.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...Would prefer the original to show hours.Pierre
Borrow the unit from someone who's works. No need to take it all apart, just plug it into your panel wiring harness, take a reading, then do it all in reverse. Mount your mechanical gauge and run the hours up to your reading.

Apr 8, 2016
Borrow the unit from someone who's works. No need to take it all apart, just plug it into your panel wiring harness.
Ron, your post did make me laugh, just because there are only two other yachts in my marina that I know of with the same tacho, and LCD has broken on both of them:) I had been informed the hours data was stored within the tacho itself??

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
Borrow the unit from someone who's works. No need to take it all apart, just plug it into your panel wiring harness, take a reading, then do it all in reverse. Mount your mechanical gauge and run the hours up to your reading.
That's what I did, I would just like the LCD to work... with duty and taxes it runs around 200$CDN. Not worth it for me! If I take the tach. apart, power it up and twist the LCD unit lightly it will show the present hours on the engine! It's easier to read the mechanical unit.
Pierre