Cushion Covers

Mar 26, 2017
Irwin 38 Palacios
Hello everyone, I am redoing a 38 ft Citation and would like to hear from as many people as will post. My question is what is the best material to recover the interior cushions on a sailboat. I am concerned about cost, comfort, looks and longevity. If anyone can clue me in on the pros and cons of what materials are available, as well as any tips or techniques I would appreciate it!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Take a look at the Sailrite.com website for some guidance on fabric, foam and other items.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
In the interior, consider moisture resistance for the bottom of your cushions.
Consider covering the bottoms of the cushions with something waterproof or at least moisture resistant. The tops can be whatever is comfortable. Water tends to condense on the underside of cushions, ruining them quickly if the fabric absorbs water.
My wife made new cushions for our last 2 boats. She covered the bottoms of cushions with vinyl; hence, even when we find moisture beneath the cushions, the cushions are dry.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Sailrite has a breathable bottom material for boat cushions that is less than 1/3 the cost of the top material that works fantastic.
The cost of the cover material is not that much more for the good stuff, so do not try to save money!
I’ve tried to make new cushions by using the old ones as patterns, they do not work because they are shrunk and stretched out of shape, so make new patterns out of heavy cardboard, that way the cardboard will work for cutting out the foam if needed.

Dec 8, 2013
Hunter / Aragosa 34 / 32 831 Toronto
recommend that you DO you the breathable -and cheaper- fabric on the bottom of any cushions, especially if you're going to be sleeping on them. The open celled foam wicks your body moisture to the bottom of the cushion, where a vinyl bottom will hold it in, causing mold to grow. The breathable fabric lets it escape to the berth platform.
Next question : Well, WHERE does THAT moisture go?
If you have a ventilated cushioning material under the cushion it will dissipate and not stay around to stain the platform.
See "hypervent" or Froli" at Defender. Froli also adds 'spring' under a mattress.

Dec 2, 2012
Pearson 39-2 New London
We found a nice, discontinued sunbrella pattern that worked out pretty reasonable. I can't remember the cost, but the entire collection of interior cushions (main cabin, v-berth and king size aft cabin) on a 39 ft boat cost less than $2800. This also included all new foam in the main cabin. We did the sewing ourselves.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
We found a nice, discontinued sunbrella pattern that worked out pretty reasonable. I can't remember the cost, but the entire collection of interior cushions (main cabin, v-berth and king size aft cabin) on a 39 ft boat cost less than $2800. This also included all new foam in the main cabin. We did the sewing ourselves.
The cost of the material alone was around $2,800, and the fabric was discontinued?

Jan 11, 2014
The cost of the material alone was around $2,800, and the fabric was discontinued?

Sunbrella ain't cheap and cushions suck up a lot of fabric. A six foot cushion takes at least 4 to 5 yards of fabric. And then there is the foam, the cost of which is about $200 per 7 foot cushion.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I do not think I would use Sunbrella inside. The cost is prohibitive, and there are so many nicer fabrics for inside. There are other UV protected fabrics for outside, too. My wife made some beautiful patterned cockpit cushions for our Telstar. The cost was a fraction of Sunbrella.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
The foam for the cushions probably cost as much as the material.
That is about right. We are putting new cushions (foam and fabric) in the Endeavour's cabin and it will add up to about $700+ and split pretty even between the two. We did settle on some really expensive fabric though at $35 a yard so could of saved some there.

Normally get the fabric from Sailrite but in this case the same was $2 yd. less at ...

https://www.outdoorfabrics.com/Prod...UD6Bx3zAK3I5EkYA3bGOrrEXf_HUtYgcaAkmCEALw_wcB

I think most people thinking of Sunbrella, think they maybe only make the canvas like material that is used for a bimini, sail-packs, etc., but they make a lot of indoor fabrics also.

We bought the foam here...

http://www.foamdistributing.com/

and used 3 inches of ...

http://www.foamdistributing.com/LHQ/lux-high-quality-foam.html

...for the bottom cushions with 2 inches of memory foam...

http://www.foamdistributing.com/V_5/5lb-memory-foam-topper.html

.... on top of the 3 inches of foam. No memory foam on the back cushions. These were about their best quality foams and they have other foam for less. Their selection and pricing is great. We buy the larger cheaper sheets and cut them. Easy to do with a cheap electric knife. If you want them cut to size they have another site...

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/

... were it is a little more expensive,

Sumner
========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This may be heresy but why not a lesser cost material from a fabric store that meets your color and texture interests. This is for interior cushions. While they may get wet there are bigger issues afoot if there is water on the cushions. No problem with water being trapped as the fabrics let water run through. If they get wet you dry them out as you need to anyway. Because of lower costs of fabric you can change it out and brighten up your cabin with new cushions more frequently.

Jan 11, 2014
This may be heresy but why not a lesser cost material from a fabric store that meets your color and texture interests. This is for interior cushions. While they may get wet there are bigger issues afoot if there is water on the cushions. No problem with water being trapped as the fabrics let water run through. If they get wet you dry them out as you need to anyway. Because of lower costs of fabric you can change it out and brighten up your cabin with new cushions more frequently.
Yes this is an option, however, be careful some fabrics suitable for home aren't so suitable for a boat. For instance, denim makes an OK fabric for home use, but sucks on a boat. Difficult to clean and it shrinks. Just sayin'. FWIW, I'm no longer related to the person who thought that was a good idea.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@dlochner Wow Dave, there is a lot of information wrapped up in that statement. You are correct about the nature of denim. There are sometimes I like shrunk denim

5FABA906-FFBD-4FFD-9768-FC39203C2151.jpeg

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
My wife happened to lean over the computer when that picture came up. She doesn't understand how that is related to boat cushions.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
We've been re-using the same foam since December 1986 which will certainly save money...we've had the cushions
recovered approx. 3 or 4 times......costs have ranged from 375.00 to approx. 600.00.......we've used a local shop for purchasing the fabric and the upholstery work.... Pat