Transition from Raymarine to B&G

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
With the transition from the C36 to the T3800, I'm also transitioning from Raymarine to B&G.

I just put new Raymarine gear on the Catalina: i|50/i60 Wind, Speed, Depth, the e7 MFD in an Edson pod at the helm, and the HD color radar. I like the e7, and one reason is that when the touch screen gets wet and impossible to use, you can do everything with the joystick/knob/button combination control.

With the B&G, I'm not so sure. I have a dual-station set-up, with a 9' Zeus2 MFD at the nav station, and 7" MFD in an Edson pod at the helm. The knob on the 7" MFD, much to my dismay, is not a joystick! I almost broke it try to pan by pushing it left and right.

So, my question, if there are any out there familiar with the B&G 7" MFD, what do you do, to pan, etc., when the display gets wet?

Thanks,

jv

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
No you don't because you have the Zeus2 it was sold by Navico as touch-only. You have to move up to the zeus3 models to get get full button control.

Last edited:

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

I have the B&G Vulcan 7. Touch screen only. I haven't done that much sailing in the rain, but the few times I have I just wipe the screen off with a rag and then use the touch screen normally. I don't have to make that many touches to do what I need.

Barry

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I haven't sailed this one in the rain yet, but rain is inevitable cruising in New England. The Raymarine e7 touchscreen becomes unusable even with just moist fingers, so the "hybrid touch" system is brilliant. I don't know if the B&G touchscreen will be any different.

There's even a screen lock feature on B&G, so you can clean it without changing anything, but it's only accessible via the touchscreen!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I'm imagining sailing in the rain, standing in water accumulated on the cockpit floor, seeing your hand reflecting in the MFD, then.....
IMG_2808.JPG

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have a Raymarine e7, and like the touch screen, but because I am somewhat old school I can't seem to break the habit of using the knob and pushbutton. Saves a lot of fingerprints on the display.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I'm imagining sailing in the rain, standing in water accumulated on the cockpit floor, seeing your hand reflecting in the MFD, then.....
View attachment 141118
Funny thing to imagine, but not likely. The MFD runs at 12 volts, so even if you somehow grabbed both a hot spot and ground, it would be no worse than grabbing both posts of a battery - not that exciting.