Do I wax the deck?

Jun 23, 2017
NorthStar 22 Catalina 22 (under restoration) Lake Red Rock
This may be a stupid question but I am a newbie that spent hours cleaning my C22 to get her white again. I notice that every grubby foot leaves marks behind. Do you wax the deck? I do on my 16 and it helps the cleanliness. It does make it a bit slippy but we don't walk around on the deck of the 16 much.

Aug 31, 2017
Catalina Catalina 22 Tampa
I'm going to have to advise against waxing the non skid. You can wax the smooth gel coat but waxing the non skid may deem it unsafe. This I know as I used to detail boats as a living.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've always wondered why we pay so much attention to keeping the topsides waxed - to protect the Gel Coat from oxidation, and shrug our shoulders with regard to the non-skid. The non-skid probably gets more direct UV than the topsides. If someone argues that the non-skid, by virtue of it's uneven surface presents less surface to the UV rays I'd be willing to listen. Otherwise I can't see much of a difference.
I don't wax non-skid because I think it is generally accepted to be a danger to footing. Then again, since I've never tried it, I really don't know.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I'm going to have to advise against waxing the non skid. You can wax the smooth gel coat but waxing the non skid may deem it unsafe. This I know as I used to detail boats as a living.
And now if you step on the non-textured gelcoat it's twice as slick? I'm sorry, but that makes no sense on the face of it. It's too easy to put a foot off the non-skid on a bouncing boat.

Apearance is not worth one bit of safety. Ever.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I just compound buffed my 87' to remove the oxidation, and got the gelcoat back in the best shape I could. I then used Polycoat for the whole boat, both sides and topside decks, instead of wax.

The decks and non-skid do not seem slippery at all. It really brought back the gelcoat appearance, and I'd definitely use it again. The label recommends just once a year as maintenance. I used to use woodywax for my center console powerboat, but I really like the polycoat after trying it.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Scratch that - I'm a moron. I used Polyglow, not Polycoat, big difference there. Evidently polycoat is black spray on rubber for truck bed liners. That's too hardcore.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
I don't know, good in winter when cold out and warms up nice underfoot

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
This may be a stupid question but I am a newbie that spent hours cleaning my C22 to get her white again. I notice that every grubby foot leaves marks behind. Do you wax the deck? I do on my 16 and it helps the cleanliness. It does make it a bit slippy but we don't walk around on the deck of the 16 much.
I definitely wouldn't recommend using "wax, wax" anywhere on deck. I made that mistake once ... it won't happen again. ;)

I've never used it myself, but I've heard "Woody Wax" favorably mentioned around here a few times, for use on non skid.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Scratch that - I'm a moron. I used Polyglow, not Polycoat, big difference there. Evidently polycoat is black spray on rubber for truck bed liners. That's too hardcore.
Now you tell me! I spent Saturday evening spraying that black S#&* all over my deck. Now how am I gonna get it off?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
In my opinion you want to protect all surfaces, not just clean them. Hence I use Woody Wax on non-skid areas.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
After hearing the prophets talk about Collinite 925, we got some. After seeing how little it took to impart a shine, and how easy it was to polish off, the protection factor applied to non skid as well in a very small controlled area.
The nonskid is not slippery.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
In response to the original poster, no, it's not a stupid question! Few of us were born around boats, grew up with them, come from generations of sailers. A lot of this stuff is non-obvious, confusing, counter-intuitive, or just plain obscure.

I am going to guess that your C22 is an older model, and that while you've cleaned it very well, that the gel coat is heavily oxidized. This makes it porous, and that's why dirt that hits it stays and even appears to stain.

To make the gelcoat so it won't stain, one need polish it. For a heavily oxidized gelcoat, this involves wet-sanding it through increasingly fine grades from about 600 to 1000 or 1200 or even finer. After that, you compound it, then polish it. The, to protect the new finish from UV and contaminants, you wax it. MaineSail has an excellent tutorial on this for a boat's topsides in his sub-forum on this site.

(As an aside, for reference, 'topsides' is the part of the hull from the waterline to the gunwhales, i.e., the sides of the hull. The part you walk on and other generally horizontal parts of the top of the boat are the deck, more specifically the deck, coach roof, cockpit sides, cockpit bulkhead, and so on).

On deck, there are both smooth and non-skid surfaces. Both are made of gel coat (on un-painted boats). The smooth surfaces should be treated just as the topsides, and yes, waxed. There may be products out there that will provide the UV and contaminant protection without being slippery, but I don't know any. The non-skid surfaces can't be sanded or polished as the smooth parts are, but they can be cleaned and they should be protected. There are waxes made specifically for non-skid, such as Star Brite non-skid wax, Woody Wax fiberglass and non-skid wax, Marine 31, and so on.

If all else fails, if your gelcoat is too far gone to bring it back on its own, you can always paint it.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I wax my non skid area a few times each season. I have done the same on every boat I've owned. I honestly cannot say that I've slipped on the non skid areas. The topside areas of a boat take a tremendous beating from the sun. For that reason I believe the topside should be waxed. Sometimes I cheat. I put a little bit of inexpensive cleaning wax into a bucket and add a few inches of water. I use my deck brush to apply a light layer to the non skid. Let it dry and either wipe it down with a towel or simply hit it with a hose.

Basically the same as using Woody wax but cheaper.