My New Boat - A Tartan 3800

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When do you splash? Will your surveyor be doing the sea trial?
During y trial I commanded the boat. I ran the engine up and down and sideways. I proved the engine was over heating and needed attention. The seller had it worked on. The second test was a 45 minute run at the dock. The engine over heating was solved. We least for a while. After I got the boat the old issue came back and took me 7 months to finally resolve. It's been good for past 2 years. It is a pre-owned boat. It will always be something.
You need to like (love) the boat and expect her to test your love on a constant basis.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Thanks, John. What was the problem that caused the overheating?

Oct 22, 2014
The repairs started with a flush of the system. The repair showed clogging in lines and at fittings. This improved the movement of fluid through the system. Then the seal on the water pump finally failed. I removed and installed new pump. Engine hums along at 155-158 F for past 100 hours.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
JViss: Congratulations, a beautiful boat! There is a Tartan 3700 in Muskegon for sale that I always admired, Sagittarius looks the part smartly.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Congratulations, Jviss! I can see why as a C36 owner you'd like that boat. It looks identical below the waterline, and very similar on-deck. Depending on the rig, you'll probably not have to adjust much to learn that boat. Enjoy your new love.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Congratulations, Jviss! I can see why as a C36 owner you'd like that boat. It looks identical below the waterline, and very similar on-deck. Depending on the rig, you'll probably not have to adjust much to learn that boat. Enjoy your new love.
Thanks. That's an interesting observation; I didn't consider that they were identical. This one has a wing keel, my C36 a fin. The new one is bigger in every dimension, and gives the impression of being more solid, in the hull, on deck, below deck. One funny thing is that while the layout belowdecks is similar, in many ways, it's all flipped left for right. Might take some getting used to.

Oct 22, 2014
JV, Sounds like your going to need do something to distinguish the sail locker from the head on your new to you boat.
Choosing the wrong one in the middle of the night :yikes: is going to spoil your day!!!:biggrin:

Like going to the fridge for a beer and finding only baby formula...

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
JViss: Congratulations, a beautiful boat! There is a Tartan 3700 in Muskegon for sale that I always admired, Sagittarius looks the part smartly.
I considered that boat. It's been dry for about three years, as far as I can tell. The broker told me that the interior teak needs work, is worn. I didn't know they ever used teak in the T3700, I thought it was cherry. the seller doesn't seem super motivated, and I think he's asking $149k. I would think you could buy that boat for $120k. And yes, it is a beauty! The 3700 carries a lot of beam aft, for a big aft cabin and head. The cockpit is much wider, 'luxurious' comes to mind.

Sean K

Feb 14, 2022
Tartan T3800 Waukegan, IL
So, it's been several years since you bought her, how happy are you. I'm purchasing Hull number 21 from the original owner and will be making many improvements and upgrades. One change I'm not sure others have made is changing the galley stove from CNG to Propane due to the availability of CNG - welcome comments and recommendations.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
So, it's been several years since you bought her, how happy are you. I'm purchasing Hull number 21 from the original owner and will be making many improvements and upgrades. One change I'm not sure others have made is changing the galley stove from CNG to Propane due to the availability of CNG - welcome comments and recommendations.
Wow! The one that was made after mine - I have hull number 20.

Best to you! It's a beautiful boat. But know, these were custom made, and there are variations. Mine came with an LP system, thankfully. I have a 4 burner range, which is really nice. A CNG to propane conversion won't be easy and cheap. Mine has a propane locker to port aft, does yours?

Happy to chat about this fine boat!

Sean K

Feb 14, 2022
Thanks, appreciate having another owner to discuss things with. My CNG tanks are in the same location as your LPG, just a different tank diameter so it also need to be modified. I asked Tartan and they said they can make me an insert once I cut out the existing fiberglass compartment. Plus since LPG is heavier than air I have to cut a drain whole to the outside. CNG is lighter and drafts upward so it’s safer but finding someone to fill the tank is almost impossible. The closest one I found so far is in Detroit and I’m in Chicago. I have three tanks (boat holds two) so if I fill all three I’m good For a few years ( I think). I have a three burner stove with oven (Force 10). If I change I think I’d go two burner with microwave, but all the plumbing has to be changed too (expensive) And an inverter added.

Hull 21 has been a fresh water boat all it’s life but the original owner did not keep it up these last few years and never installed much in the way of electronics or canvas. I’m spending a lot upgrading her to the way I want, she’ll be near perfect with new electronics, sails, dodger, Bimini, refinished interior, new running rigging and all things not working as intended will be replaced. I’ll be in deep but it will be the way I want it - like new.

My long term plans are to sail the Great Lakes a year or two then sail to the Caribbean as I enter retirement. We’ll see once I get to spend some time aboard her.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Very exciting! I am fortunate that mine has very good canvas, high end, but it's quite faded, unfortunately. I may start trying to replace it, piece by piece.

The previous owner did a lot of upgrades just before selling it, also fortunately for me, including new electronics and fridge.

I like the four burner range! I don't have a microwave, don't really want one, either.

Sean K

Feb 14, 2022
Interesting, sounds like you’re still very happy with your T3800. I’m thinking of changing to a Max Prop three blade, which prop are you using? Currently I still have the two blade fixed pitch prop (Westerbeke 38B four 37HP). One real benefit of a Tartan is how well they hold their value. That’s why I’m comfortable investing so much into mine.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I have a 1996 Tartan 3800 under agreement, hull no. 20 (only 43 or 44 were made). I am pretty certain all will go well with the survey and sea trail, and we will own it. It's a beauty! It has sand an off-white gel coat deck with contrasting, sand-colored non-skid areas, and blue painted topsides, varnished, teak toerails; "toast" dodger, bimini, and connector; four, stainless steel dorade ventilator cowls, with guards; white polyurethane coated, tapered, aluminum spar and matching boom; fairly new, cruising laminate sails, and more.

I love our C36, and feel a bit sentimental putting her on the market. But we are excited about this new one. Everything seems a bit up-standard from the other, just heavier, sturdier, more substantial.

Friends said "sail it for a year before changing anything!" They know me, and my obsessive tendencies. There are a couple of things we will do immediately, though. My wife can't see over the huge instrument pod at the helm; I have a plan to replace that with the standard pedestal guard, and an Edson Vision, deep pod to stbd, with a smaller B&G Zeus2 MFD; the 9" one currently installed will go to the nav station. The Simrad pilot control head will go in a pod to port. The B&G Triton instrument display will "chill" for now. It has Raymarine W/S/D instruments on the cockpit bulkhead to stbd. Next, the lifelines. They are currently vinyl-covered, and showing signs of age and corrosion. I will change these to bare SS 1x19, probably done by Rigging Only in Fairhaven (close to us). Based on the survey, I may replace the standing rigging, as if original, it's 21 years old. Also Rigging Only.

Other than that, I think it could be considered "turn key." It had lots of updates in 2016, 2012, and 2010. Of course, I will want to 'customize' and change or correct things, despite my wife's objections!

edited for spar finish
Fair winds and following seas.......

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Interesting, sounds like you’re still very happy with your T3800. I’m thinking of changing to a Max Prop three blade, which prop are you using? Currently I still have the two blade fixed pitch prop (Westerbeke 38B four 37HP). One real benefit of a Tartan is how well they hold their value. That’s why I’m comfortable investing so much into mine.
I have the three blade Maxprop. It works really well. I understand they are quite expensive, though.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I’m thinking of changing to a Max Prop three blade, which prop are you using? Currently I still have the two blade fixed pitch prop (Westerbeke 38B four 37HP).
I did this upgrade on my Catalina 36, and it was great for both motoring and light-air sailing. Well worth the $5K in upgrade costs. You get no speed benefit in heavier air as you have more than enough power. I did not notice a loss in motoring efficiency forward. You will notice a real motoring improvement in reverse / docking as the blades switch around entirely so the reverse is as efficient as forward - it absolutely stops the boat. Call PYI and have them spec the prop for your boat / engine - a "free" service to sell you $5K in kit. Also, they will recommend a stainless shaft, if you have bronze.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
You will notice a real motoring improvement in reverse / docking as the blades switch around entirely so the reverse is as efficient as forward - it absolutely stops the boat.
Yes, I agree!