Coverting an icebox to powered refrigeration

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I have some really good upgrades. You can contact me via my email. Good luck

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
I've done a couple of conversions, and agree totally that insulation is The Key. The Nova Kool unit I put in the Ontario 32 runs well (small freezer and about 4 cu ft fridge) on a Group 27 battery and 90W solar panel. The one I put in the Catalina 36 took twice the energy, since the icebox was not well insulated.
I'm a keen fan of the Nova Kool units (http://www.novakool.com/products/conversion_units.htm). They use the Danfoss BD-35 compressor that can be adjusted to draw only 2.5 Amps (with a well-insulated box, that's maybe 40% duty-cycle, which is about 25 A-H per day)

druid

Aug 24, 2016
Pearson 36-2 Daytona Beach
Hi all,

I also just purchased a 36-2 (1985). NYSail, would you mind emailing me also what info you have on the conversion?

Thanks in advance!!

Mike

Tlewis

Aug 5, 2016
Pearson 36-2 Port Royal, SC
FYI,
Just ordered the adler barbour unit to install early next month. Will let you know how it went.

Aug 24, 2016
Pearson 36-2 Daytona Beach
I pulled the trigger too! Got mine coming from WM. Free shipping and $15 off. Figures it helps offset the tax. Can't wait for cold beer!!

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
TLewis: When you say you ordered the adler barbour unit, what exactly did you order? Is it all one unit, or are there several pieces to order?

Tlewis

Aug 5, 2016
I ordered the cu100 condenser motor. I am waiting on the evaporator until I get to the boat later this week. Not sure what size I want until I can measure.

Aug 3, 2012
I ordered the cu100 condenser motor. I am waiting on the evaporator until I get to the boat later this week. Not sure what size I want until I can measure.
Ok. Thanks. Good to know!

Tlewis

Aug 5, 2016
Better late than never. I had my adler barbour unit in my garage for months. 2 hurrycanes and 1 tropical storm later, I now have my refrigeration installed and cold. I used NYSail's photos and they worked like a charm. AB condensor arrived inop so had to get a replacement. (whole different story). The next one worked good. When its hot (no A/C in boat) I have it turned up full. The beer, wine, soda stayed cold. Don't know about food yet. :). Aggie price, let us know how your install went.

Aug 3, 2012
Aggie price, let us know how your install went.
Well... we got a little sidetracked on a restoration project. We do not know yet if we will install a fridge in our new boat. We are just learning the ins-and-outs of it. I am glad yours is going well.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
I put in an Isotherm 3701 asu air cooled cold plate system last year. Very efficient and works well. As others said, insulation is key, as is charging and battery storage. We have 160 watts of solar and house bank is 2 x 6 v golf cart batts. More than sufficient for us when cruising. Andrew, if you want to check out the installation, come on over to Cayuga Lake some weekend. Scott

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
+1 on the Isotherm units
In my previous boat I installed an Isotherm unit. It did cost more than the AB units but it used less power. My current boat came with refrigeration from the Benteau factory and it's no where near as good both in terms of energy use and temperature maintenance (insulation is about equal in both boats). If the current refrigeration ever breaks I will be installing an Isotherm unit. Can't say enough good things about Isotherm.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Ha ha. Just noticed this is an old thread dragged out of the archives. Good thing agprice22 is still around to pay attention to it. :) Offer stands if you're still considering adding refrigeration, Andrew.

Aug 3, 2012
Would an icebox be worth adding if it was not on all week? Does everyone leave them on? I feel bad wasting energy just to keep drinks cold. I could see bringing cold drinks and food and having the fridge to keep them cold, but then we are carrying a cooler to the fridge. I like the idea of not using ice and having melting ice to contend with in terms of soggy food.
How long does the icebox require to chill down?
We only spend 1 night per week on the boat. We might spend 2-3 nights once per season. I wonder whether it is really worth it.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
If you have solar panels, it's not a waste of energy. Can't answer you on whether it's worth it, tho. For us, yes, but we do some cruising for a couple of weeks at a time in other places besides home waters.