Donations to Neptune:

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
.....on a lighter note; what have you donated to King Neptune? Lets hear about it, especially if it was your tow vehicle, please confess!
My list: one winch handle
2 full sail battons
2 hats
1 loaded 25auto pistol
1 rod and reel
1 unopened PowerAide at my slip that I'm gonna get back someday

Dennis

Feb 1, 2014
Watkins 27 North East, MD
Most recently.... a new Danforth, chain and 10' of rode at the July 4th fireworks anchorage.
All the usual small tools ... Oh! and specs a couple times ;)
Worst and most spendy was upper partial plate. P-theww, right over the bow rail while anchoring one evening!

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
Brand new mainsail track stop, had it in my hands 30 seconds and it jumped right over the side. The usual small hardware and such. The owner of the boat I race on lost his 2hp Honda outboard the first time he started it, did not tighten the hold down screws enough and when it fired up it jumped off the stern bracket and danced on the surface for a few seconds. Very funny in hindsight.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Two cell phones (the boat made them jump out of their clips!) and the guts of a rail-mounted propane grill. Got a cell phone condom after the second cell phone was donated.

Jun 4, 2004
Ned Ludd,
Funny story about the outboard. I had never heard of loosing an outboard until a couple months ago I was watching UTUBE. Its unbelievable, Ha Ha!
Dennis

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
A really nice deck brush with a really nice collapsible handle. I saw it go over in slow motion but could not get to it on time. Noooooooooooooo!!! Kersplash.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Cheap sunglasses, a few screwdrivers, pliers, flare wrenches, a coupla three hats..one set of car and house keys.. (don't put a bungee in your pocket with keys) one 50 foot bight of nice red spinnaker topping lift line. Compiled over 39 years.. then, of course, the usual voluntary contributions to Neptune of a 25 cent piece and a shot of rum at the beginning of any significant trip..
EDIT: Ohhh yeah.. one winch handle

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2004
Sounds like Neptune is well equipped. Oh yeah, then there was my sail track stop.
Dennis

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
All of the above as well as a few towels that were supposed to be drying on the rail. A coffee pot tried to escape but I dove and got it back.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
A pair of inexpensive sunglasses, so I've gotten off light so far. I lost a winch bearing overboard in the slip while overhauling the winches, but I dove for that and recovered it within a few minutes.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
One winch handle in a slow motion somersalt over the rail when the tail of a jib sheet caught it.(replaced with a locking version), glasses at the slip.(dove for them) . countless gimme hats,
shackle pins, clevis pins, and a couple of cheap screwdrivers over a few years. So,far so good this year, but the season isn't over yet.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Too numerous to remember them all. Sun glasses, winch handle, a 4 pound pork roast that was almost done but worst of all the wife's iphone with two weeks of unbacked up vacation photos 45 minutes after crossing the Malibu rapids into Princess Louisa Inlet last year. You should have seen the look on her face. I thought someone had died.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
.....on a lighter note; what have you donated to King Neptune? Lets hear about it, especially if it was your tow vehicle, please confess!
My list: one winch handle
2 full sail battons
2 hats
1 loaded 25auto pistol
1 rod and reel
1 unopened PowerAide at my slip that I'm gonna get back someday

Dennis
I can tell by this list that you haven't been on the water very long! I mean, it's an awful short list! Heck, I've lost at least 5 pairs of sunglasses in my life, which is probably a reasonably small number.

In the past 3 years, I've lost sail stops, 2 rolls of electrical tape, a roll of whipping twine, and leaned so far overboard trying to catch a dock line that I fell in! (I could have just got out of the boat and gone up on the dock to get that line back. But it was the slime line, and who want to handle the middle slimy portion of the slime line?)

A friend lost the cowling of her outboard. The following year, someone put on dive gear and found it!

And then there was the guy who was overhauling a friend's winch, and dropped something important from the winch guts. He free dove on it, maybe 10 feet, and actually found it!

I have a picture of Granddad sometime in October or early November, with a dive mask standing in the water at low tide off the dock. He had dropped his prescription glasses. I remember him telling me the story, and that the water was COLD.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
My wife's loss of her ancient cell phone into the drink was actually a good thing.

It helped to bring our communications into the 21st century. Now if she'd just remember to turn the durned thing on...

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 49 Mystic CT
Most notable was an unopened 750ml bottle of Johnny walker black. Very sad day

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Several winch handles, not recovered
CellPhone and Digital Camera (went over attached to me) destroyed
Center bushing for Hood roller furler, recovered by diving
Brownies Third Lung Hookah Compressor (bounced and vibrated its way right into the water while we were using it) Hauled out and instantly drained re-oiled, fueled, and the run until fully dried out.
Lots of hats and several individual flip flops. some recovered some not. (Man overboard drills are good practice)