2000 Hunter 380 Mainsail Furling Problems/Boom Car wheels

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
My boat lost its mast just before delivery in 2016, when another sailboat in the yard fell on it. The sails were out being cleaned and reconditioned. New mast from Selden, old boom. Boom re -attached, sails cleaned , new sunbrella, leach lines and etc.

Rigger installed new sails and did not test. Unfurling proved impossible. Had read all the articles on unfurling problems,,, Many tips appeared not to apply to the Hunter 380. My boom is not at a 90 degree angle to the mast, but about 80 degrees in order to rest over the stainless arch. Vang can not lower boom or change to 90 degree angle any lower. Suggestions that boom s/b at 90 Degrees and 4% down, unfurling and 4% up when unfurling, simply don't apply. The only way that could happen is if the boom was installed higher on the mast, more than a foot. I thought maybe that this was the problem, but searching photos of all H380s, showed the same angle and boom attachment.

In addition the mast design does not accommodate the raising of the boom as it would be over other hardware. Additionally the sail is cut for this angle, with the sail furling well below the attachment point of the boom.

So the problem was the sail was rolled in badly and jammed, which was part pf the problem for the first few feet. After that was corrected it would only unfurl 1/3 and then be stuck. Noticed the sail was being pull downward, but the Boom Outhaul car was not moving at that point. Checked the rolling of the car, not under pressure and it was sticking. Taking off the black boom end cap( 4 screws) and removing the car, revealed frozen side wheels.

Selden was 30 minutes away, got 8 new wheels for Car, and replaced, re installed. For the first time the sail was unfurled all the way, no problems.

None of the posts that I had read mentioned that the unfurling problems could be caused by the CAR having problems. So FYI. And if it is not going smoothly, then perhaps its time to replace the CAR wheels.

Regards,

Viper

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Good post
I
My boat lost its mast just before delivery in 2016, when another sailboat in the yard fail on it, The sails were out being cleaned and reconditioned. New mast from Selden, old boom. Boom re -attached, sails cleaned , new sunbrella, leach lines and etc.

Rigger installed new sails and did not test. Unfurling proved impossible. Had read all the articles on unfurling problems,,, Many tips appeared not to apply the Hunter 380. My boom is not at a 90 degree angle to the mast, but about 80 degrees in order to rest over the stainless arch. Vang can not lower boom or change to 90 degree angle any lower. Suggestion that boom s/b at 90 Degrees and 4% down, unfurling and 4% up when unfurling, simply don't apply. The only way that could happen is if the boom was installed higher on the mast, more than a foot. I thought maybe that this was the problem, but searching photos of all H380s, showed the same angle and boom attachment.

In addition the mast design does not accommodate the raising of the boom as it would be over other hardware. Additionally the sail is cut for this angle, with the sail furling well below the attachment point of the boom.

So the problem was the sail was rolled in badly and jammed, which was part pf the problem for the first few feet. After that was corrected it would only unfurl 1/3 and then be stuck. Noticed the sail was being pull downward, but the Boom Outhaul car was not moving at that point. Checked the rolling of the car, not under pressure and it was sticking. Taking off the black boom end cap( 4 screws) and removing the car, should frozen side wheels.

Selden was 30 minutes away, got 8 new wheels for Car, and replaced, re installed. For the first time the sail was unfurled all the way, no problems.

None of the posts that I had read mentioned that the unfurling problems could be caused by the CAR having problems. So FYI. And if it is not going smoothly, then perhaps its time to replace the CAR wheels.

Regards,

Viper
Good post
I regularly lubricate the car wheels with Teflon grease. Do not ever spray with wd40. It just gums up the works

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have 2007 H-36 and never do anything to my boom cars and my vang is setup to allow my boom to lay on top my arch and use the topping line to raise a few inches off the arch.
Could be maybe the vang was no installed properly and think my boat is the way should be with boom just touching arch and that the boom cars are being worn out from improper install and here in Fl hot sun would do damage.
Most problems with in mast is improper mast setup or badly cut sail or just mast vang boom not setup proper and would check your manual for proper setup.
Nick

viper

Jul 31, 2016
The problem was the fouled up car wheels.. works fine with new Boom Outhaul Car Wheels after the replacement, although not tested except at slip. Boat is in Charleston, but its new home port will be Cape Coral, FL.

The Boom and car wheels were 18 years old, wheels were dired out and no silicon grease, which led to flat spots... not a bad life span.... Sail is also original, reconditioned... . all new standing and running rigging and mast. , Boat lightly used, under 500 hours in 18 years. The topping lift, while present of course, does little when boom is over stainless arch, and in reality since booms std. position is at an upward angle from the booms mount at mast, needs little adjustment. Even adjusting the boom vang downward can only be done once the main sheet is let out and the boom is not over the arch. I have trouble seeing the purpose with actually sailing with a higher rack on the boom than when it is at rest on the arch. I can see the need of shaping the sail area when the main sheet is out and broad running and needing the vang to pull down the boom.

It appears with sail cut and etc.... this is the design and different from many other boats.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Be careful when you get to Cape Coral with shallow water our boats draw 5' and need to be careful but will learn fast and I am 10 years in Punta Gorda and hardly hit bottom any more.
Nick

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Be careful when you get to Cape Coral with shallow water our boats draw 5' and need to be careful but will learn fast and I am 10 years in Punta Gorda and hardly hit bottom any more.
Nick
Thanks. Have boated around the Cape for 10 years, but with a center console, so a whole different perspective... Then 6 ft, 3 times more than I needed then.. even ran aground twice with a 22" draw...

I come in at Tarpon Point/Cape Harbor-Rum Runners and live on a sailboat access canal between the two.

Regards,
Viper

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Sounds good maybe some day meet at Pelican Bay and I belong to PG Sailing Club.
Nick

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Before my boat had another boat fall on it in Charleston/ Pierside (pls avoid) last August, I was going to dock at the Fishing Warf in PG for LAST winter and rent my house out in the Cape... Oh well so goes the best plans of mice and men.

The area in SW Florida seems to be made up of a lot of Hunters and Beneteus.

Regards,

Viper

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Our Club has more Catalina's than Hunters, quit a few big Hunter.
Nick

Last edited:

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Our Club has more Catalina's than Hunters, quit a few big Hunter.
Nick
In Cape Coral, Catalina would be #3. Generally older and under 35 ft however. Have a 2000 47 ft nxt to be at my transient dock in Charleston... Cooper River Marina , great place, great staff.

Viper

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
I have 2007 H-36 and never do anything to my boom cars and my vang is setup to allow my boom to lay on top my arch and use the topping line to raise a few inches off the arch.
Could be maybe the vang was no installed properly and think my boat is the way should be with boom just touching arch and that the boom cars are being worn out from improper install and here in Fl hot sun would do damage.
Most problems with in mast is improper mast setup or badly cut sail or just mast vang boom not setup proper and would check your manual for proper setup.
Nick
Nick,
Am thinking that you moved your vang connection to the boom back to lower your boom. If so do you tighten the topping lift and let loose your vang sheet prior to putting out or in your main sail? With that adjustment possible would think your leech tension can be be made. Do you ever have issues furling your mainsail?
Jeff

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
My vang is the way it was from new installed by the dealer rigger and they set it up so my boom just rest on the vang and doesn't hit the arch and basiactly is setup perfect and have the topping lift adjust just so to keep boom not touching the traveler on arch and no problem with main furling at all,I still have my U.K. Factory sail.
I did race fora few years and did very well winning a few trophies.
Nick

Jul 27, 2014
Hunter 380 Doylestown
Thank you Viper!
I have a 2000 H380 in New Jersey with similar issues. I've owned her for four years and until recently, no problems with the in mast furling system. This season my main has bound up quite often. I've replaced the outhaul line and have contemplated replacing the sail until reading your post. Could you please send me the part numbers for the car rollers or any other info you feel would be useful. Thank you so much, I think you have saved me a couple thousand $$.
Dave

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I think Selden is a wonderful product and I have used the in mast furling system on various boats even in offshore circumstances and they worked great.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Geez...Everything has its pluses and minuses. Once you get your vang and topping lift set corectly keep it there. Mark the lines with tape in case you ever adjust it will be easy to return to correct position.. I had my main reconditioned and reinstalled by a major sail loft. When I left that port to return to my home port I continued to have similar problems as before. I figured the old sail was beat and bought a new one. When the maker of the new main came out to install we discovered that the loft that had reconditioned the old sail had furled it in BACKWARDS !!!. On the Selden mast the sail slot is to starboard of centerline, so when you furl in the motion is counter clockwise, when furling out the foil rotates clockwise. It is possible to furl backwards and results aren't good.
Also, my boom is around 85 degrees from the mast. Typical

good luck

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Your Boom has a serial number on it. Provide that to SELDON and they will know the wheels you need and or take picture of car.