The transformation is almost complete!

Mar 28, 2017
American Tug 395 Newport
IMG_1155.JPG
Ah yes, sea trials - what fun. With the boats we built, the buyer (and his crew) operated the boat during sea trials and a series of pre-agreed tests were performed by the builder (buyer witness) to verify performance and calibrate various equipment (ie: knotmeter). The buyer didn't feel we were fully qualified to operate the nuclear power plant that the buyer provided for the submarines we built. The key is to get agreement between builder and buyer as to what is going to happen when. Certainly the boat doesn't leave the builder until the buyer is happy, and there must be some warranty period where latent defects will be corrected. In our case, there was a period about 6 months from delivery when the boat would be made available for warranty work at the builders facility - usually minor stuff but not always.
I have always been interested in submarines and their technology.
What a fascinating thing they are and how interesting to actually see one!
Of course our boat was not built to anything like those specs but...I am fussy and the people at Tomco who build these boats are perhaps even more interested in building a good reliable package.
One of the things that impressed me initially about this brand was in fact the build quality.
Everywhere I looked on the example at our marina impressed me to no end!
The ascetics may or may not be your thing but the build is incredibly impressive!
Sea trials establish basic performance of drivetrain and hull in this case and verify that everything actually works.
In the end, after cruising on the boat for some 700 plus miles in the PNW, we did indeed have a "punch list" of things that needed attention but given that I was on the boat for some 30 days with my magnifying glass, it was remarkably small...
As I fully expected, the boat is well a thought out, well executed beauty. At least we think so!
Now, if only I can convince my wife that the red/Poppy interior color that I so love was the correct way to go...she is still on the fence. I absolutely love it!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Bruce, that sole is so beautiful I never even saw the upholstery. What is the wood? Koa? Desert Ironwood? Cocobolo? Bolivian Rosewood?

Mar 28, 2017
American Tug 395 Newport
Bruce, that sole is so beautiful I never even saw the upholstery. What is the wood? Koa? Desert Ironwood? Cocobolo? Bolivian Rosewood?
All wood in the interior is Sapele.
It is I believe of the mahogany family. That sole is actually an amazing little piece of construction. They build their own composite floor base that is bonded to the hull first and then either carpet it (no thank you!) or install a hardwood floor. The standard hardwood floor is Sapele like this with maple to mimic the teak and holly floors of the past. It is all built if solid 3/8" planks by the way. We opted for no maple in our floor and love the look.
It now has a number of coats of gloss urethane on it, when it gets home next week I will take a photo. Gloss is good!
Bruce

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Congratulations Bruce and Dorsey!
She is a beauty. I tried to envision the finished interior from the construction video, the final is MUCH better!
Even looks like there is room for a few Vespas on the upper deck
If you bring her to Newport give a shout, we would love to have you join us for cocktails at the club.
Bob Anton
(Sending private mail with phone #)
PS - I like the interior color choice.

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
That interior is beautiful - submarines should look so good. Much common ground though - efficient use of space, secure stowage, reliable propulsion, multiple sources and types of electrical power (makes wiring a house easy). Trawler is simplified by simpler electronics, no need (or desire) to submerge, no weapons capability, and no need to take on 130 or so crew for a 6 month deployment.

Mar 28, 2017
American Tug 395 Newport
Just saw you going down the bay. Looking good!

Van
That was us! Our first east coast test ride.
Still a ton of cleaning and sorting to do after the trip by truck east but she's getting there.
Bruce

Mar 28, 2017
American Tug 395 Newport
That interior is beautiful - submarines should look so good. Much common ground though - efficient use of space, secure stowage, reliable propulsion, multiple sources and types of electrical power (makes wiring a house easy). Trawler is simplified by simpler electronics, no need (or desire) to submerge, no weapons capability, and no need to take on 130 or so crew for a 6 month deployment.
The part about submerging made me pause. I agree, no need and certainly much desire NOT to submerge!
We do love the look of our interior.
Thanks!
Bruce

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
View attachment 136583
The ascetics may or may not be your thing but the build is incredibly impressive!
"
I think the ascetics would not like that interior at all! On the other hand, the aesthetics are wonderful!
:poke:
Congratulations on a wonderful boat and transition to power yachting.

-Andrew

Mar 28, 2017
American Tug 395 Newport
I think the ascetics would not like that interior at all! On the other hand, the aesthetics are wonderful!
:poke:
Congratulations on a wonderful boat and transition to power yachting.

-Andrew
I can't get away with blaming that on spell check, can I?
Bruce