Awl grip painted hull what cleaner can be used on it?

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I had my hull painted with awl grip three years ago. While under the mfg/boatyards warranty for past three years I have had the yard take care of all cleaning and polishing. Figured while under warranty and there care if anything were to happen to paint job they are responsible.

Now it's on me.
So I plan to use awl grip polymer to Coates as recommended.
My issue is I have brackish water stains on the hull that appears to come off with soap and water and lot of elbow grease. I am hesitant to use any cleaner/waxes or polishes because the awl grip representative said I can damage the thin clear Côte awl grip finnish.

I have used all kinds of cleaners on gelcote surfaces with no issues.
Examples: on off hull/bottom cleaner, star bright polish, cleaner waxes with good results.

Awl grip does not sell any heavy duty cleaner for this other then there boat soap.

Question.
Can on off hull cleaner be used? That stuff works so great!
Has anyone used anything else?

I don't want to damage the paint job.
I wonder if the awl grip representative is just blowing smoke to make me buy his products.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
awlgrip can be cleaned with almost anything you want to use... its a good hard paint that even mild abrasives such as rubbing compound has a tough time cutting into the shine of it... anything you would normally wash either a boat or a car with can be used without harming the awlgrip finish... even an acid type cleaner as long as its rinsed well...

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Beware of shrink wrap. Bonds to awl grip paint and ruins it upon removal.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I use "On & Off" for the brown on the bow. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, a toilet bowl had developed a black ring around the bowl at water level. I tried bathroom cleaners, alcohol, acetone, then- what I did not want to do but had to try- powdered Ajax and a scrub brush. Nada. Then, like a gift from the heavens, someone on this forum suggested a liquid, "IT WORKS"... and boy, does it work! Squirted it around the bowl, and a couple minutes later with the bowl brush, all the black is gone. This, after thinking I'd have to replace the toilet before I ever had company. I found it at the hardware store, but a good buy at Home Depot, a 2-pack for 3.88 I think it was. I WILL be using this on the boat. "Try it- you'll like it".

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Anyone use white vinegar and dawn dish soap with warm water?
Someone at the Marina swares by it. Seams to be safe enough.

Awl grip tech that painted boat recommended kerosene, diesel or mineral spirits for water line scum and tough stains. Still afraid to use things like this. Don't want to damage clear Côte.

Anyone thoughts or have used this?

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
On/off hull cleaner doesn't damage clear Côte?

Directions on bottle just says to apply to gelcote then rinse.
None of the products I have looked at say can be used on painted or awl grip surfaces.

I am parinod with this paint job. Now that it's on me I don't want to screw it up.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I use "On & Off" for the brown on the bow. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, a toilet bowl had developed a black ring around the bowl at water level. I tried bathroom cleaners, alcohol, acetone, then- what I did not want to do but had to try- powdered Ajax and a scrub brush. Nada. Then, like a gift from the heavens, someone on this forum suggested a liquid, "IT WORKS"... and boy, does it work! Squirted it around the bowl, and a couple minutes later with the bowl brush, all the black is gone. This, after thinking I'd have to replace the toilet before I ever had company. I found it at the hardware store, but a good buy at Home Depot, a 2-pack for 3.88 I think it was. I WILL be using this on the boat. "Try it- you'll like it".
I have used the product called "THE Works", which is found in the toilet cleanser section, and it really does work to remove hard water deposits and stains caused by them.... it is an acid based cleaner that can harm some plastics...

here is a link to a chart that experimental DIYers should refer to (very cautiously) when trying new "unproven" chemicals to clean with... especially boat owners, as there are so many different types of plastics on a boat... the fiberglass or epoxy hull, the paint, the lines/ropes, deck fittings, trim/rails, awnings/canvas, windows, sails, carpets, cushions... and many other items may all be (and usually are on modern boats) a type of plastic that some chemicals/solvents can damage, although the concentrations of the applied chemical/solvent will be the biggest factor in whether it will gently clean the surface, or damage it beyond use...

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Capt Robbie

If there is clear-coat your paint is not Awigrip. So maybe Awlcraft 2000 or Awlcraft SE. These systems are different paint chemistries. Anyhow for cleaning use what AkzoNobel recommends. You can call them and ask about oxcylic acid - very effective and very mild - available at any paint store.

Oxcylic acid is the ingredient in Barkeepers Friend but a word of caution - don't use anything abrasive if you have AwlGrip. Damage to Awlgrip is somewhere between very difficult and impossible to repair whereas Awlcraft 2000 or SE is pretty easy because those clear-coat systems can be blended and buffed.

Charles

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Thanks for the reply Charles,

It is awl grip. When the awl grip drys a micro thin layer of clear Côte rises thru the paint to the surface.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I've used Meguiars' Marine Boat Wash soap for years -- Easy, gently and effective
I use a very soft brush with water.

May 3, 2011
Beneteau & Hunter First 435 & Hunter 37.5 Seabrook & Guntersville AL
My hull was awlgripped. Had the yard do a "polish" on the hull while I had them do the bottom job. They used a mild abrasive instead of polish - ruined the paint. Any abrasive destroys the natural high gloss finish. Once done your choice is to repaint or forever wax. Wax wears off and its a very dull finish.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I am compelled to add a practical comment after reading some academic opinions here.

My marina 'pulled' our Awlgrip hull boat and one of the straps slipped causing some rather serious and obvious scrapes in the paint. Needless to say, this wasn't very good advertizing for the marina so they polished and buffed the paint contrary to the conventional wisdom here.

Doing so returned the topsides to its previous flawless finish which has lasted over one year with nothing other than regular washing.

The moral of the story is there is no harm done if (emphasis added) buffing is done properly.

Jun 17, 2012
Bristol 35.5 Escanaba
Our boat has a 20+ year AwlGrip Flag Blue paint job on the port topsides. We use AwlWash and AwlCare. Any difficult to remove stains at the waterline, use 3M FinesseIt II with a very gentle touch. Clean soft Microfiber rags, and rinse well. Keep your fenders or fender covers clean so they do not scratch. The paint job still looks like new. AwlWash is also good for washing large picture windows at home which are exposed to driven rain and waterspots... no I do not work for the company - just satisfied with their products.

Jan 10, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Myrtle Beach, SC
On my awlgrip boat, I would use 3M Finesse 2 to clean and polish the hull. I then finished off with Collinite 845 or 945 liquid wax.

Apr 6, 2017
J-Boat J/24 Home
Wash the hull using Awlwash and water. It reduces the build up of dirt and grease. I would do it once a month. I used to wipe it with squeegees, I am not sure whether it brings any bad to the glossy coating of Awl grip. Till now I haven't found any drawback with using that. Would like to know whether anyone here uses squeegees for cleaning the awl grip painted hull?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME

^^^^^^Follow these to the letter^^^^^^^

If you do, your paint will look as good as mine does at year 11, and that look is as good as the day it rolled out of the paint booth. I can't even begin to count the ways I have seen folks destroy a 15k paint job in a few years.

Jan 10, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Myrtle Beach, SC
I had a boat that was awlgrip and pone that was Imron. On both, each season I would was the boat with boat soap, then follow up with 3M Finesse, buff it and then wax it with Collinite 925 or 825 and buff that. The Shine was fantastic each time, lasted through the season and the paint never dulled.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Well thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Washed the hull with boat soap with soft brush and it removed all the dirt and black streaks with ease. The grime and stains along the water line and bow didn't work at all.
Strangely enough a skipper next to my boat has a awl grip painted hull that is 10 plus years old and he cleans the heavy grime and stains with Lysol toilet bowl cleaner . He told me he has used it for years, with no issues at all. Gave me a bottle and told me to try it on a section on his boat.
Wow! This stuff really works!!! Just wet the area with water, wipe it on, let sit for approximately 3-5 minutes and rinse off. Effortless.

OMG I can't believe that it works. Toilet bowl cleaner! $2.99 vs. On off hull cleaner $30.00
He showed me both bottles and essentially the main ingredient is the same.
The hull looks amazing. After I finished cleaning the hull I simply wiped on two Côtes of awl care and lite buff, looks like it did the day it was painted.
All I can say is Wow!

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Well thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Washed the hull with boat soap with soft brush and it removed all the dirt and black streaks with ease. The grime and stains along the water line and bow didn't work at all.
Strangely enough a skipper next to my boat has a awl grip painted hull that is 10 plus years old and he cleans the heavy grime and stains with Lysol toilet bowl cleaner . He told me he has used it for years, with no issues at all. Gave me a bottle and told me to try it on a section on his boat.
Wow! This stuff really works!!! Just wet the area with water, wipe it on, let sit for approximately 3-5 minutes and rinse off. Effortless.

OMG I can't believe that it works. Toilet bowl cleaner! $2.99 vs. On off hull cleaner $30.00
He showed me both bottles and essentially the main ingredient is the same.
The hull looks amazing. After I finished cleaning the hull I simply wiped on two Côtes of awl care and lite buff, looks like it did the day it was painted.
All I can say is Wow!
Lysol toilet bowl cleaner is mostly hydrochloride acid. Been used for years to remove hard water stains. Be careful with it, and don't breath the vapors