Rid-X in holding tank

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Hi;
At the local big box store today; anybody ever use Rid-X in their holding tank?
Thanks. Ilan

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
Needs oxygen...You got adaquit ventilation in your tank...?
Then you probably don't need the rid+x

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Every now and then I come across someone who uses it and loves it...however I have no idea what they expect of it. Its sole purpose is to break down all the stuff--toilet waste, bath water, grease and all the other stuff that goes down kitchen sinks, toilet paper etc etc etc and emulsify sludge. So it should help to prevent sludge in your holding tank, but because odor prevention isn't a concern in septic tanks, it's not formulated to do that.. The active ingredient is enzymes which won't harm anything in your onboard sanitation system. So you have nothing to lose by trying it, but don't be too disappointed if it doesn't prevent odor out the tank vent.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
The problem with Rid-X is that it is designed to work over time. If you are emptying your tank regularly, it is not in the tank long enough to do any good. If you put it in a month before you intended to use it, and just let it sit mixed with a little water, it would probably work very well.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I just want to say, I love this site! A person asked a reasonable question last night, and within a few hours, an expert chimes in with an answer and another user provides an a link to an authoritative test. Thanks for the community!

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
I guess what I was wondering was that even though I empty my tank weekly, there is probably always some residue with all the above mentioned sludge, so would Ridex be a not bad idea to work on the remains of the day, as well as during the week as the tank gradually fills?

Thanks for all the prompt responses
Ilan

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
...even though I empty my tank weekly, there is probably always some residue with all the above mentioned sludge, so would Ridex be a not bad idea to work on the remains of the day, as well as during the week as the tank gradually fills?
As Dave said, it wouldn't stay in the tank long enough to accomplish anything...you'd be pumping it all out every week.

There's a better way: flush out the tank...it's not that hard and all you need is water. After pumpout, put a few gallons into the tank via the deck pumpout fitting--'cuz that sends the water into the tank at the bottom to stir up any sludge and hold it in suspension so it can be pumped out. Pump that out. Repeat...repeat...until you're pumping out clean water. You only need to do this about 2-3/season and especially in preparation for winter or other extended layup 'cuz when a boat is laid up, that's when sludge turns to concrete.