Deck fitting leak

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Due to our recent heavy rains I found one of the compartments in my boat filling with water. After some investigation I determined the water leaking in under the deck fitting for the most forward chain plate...the water then traveled down the tie rod to fill up the compartment behind the back cushions for the dinette. Here are some photos. I'll document my repairs which shouldn't take too long. I'll be using the butyl tape I bought from MaineSail to seal it up. The first image is looking down at where the deck fitting was attached to the deck, the second image is taken looking up at the underside of the deck from inside the cabin and the third image is the fitting itself. After cleaning it doesn't look too bad but I will have to purchase a new "wedge" fitting from Catalina since they are made of aluminum and as you can only image, corrosion has taken a toll.

Attachments

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yeah--I'm happy to report no water that I've noticed getting into the boat from the rains; which means little, if any, actually is. And there was A LOT of water everywhere on Friday. Earlier in 2016 I was getting water into the space between the deck and the liner via the fasteners of the fwd Dorade box and protector. Took them off and re-bedded everything. Port-light seals are greased with silicon grease so they don't drip (or pour) any water now. Great stuff; hates water!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
After cleaning it doesn't look too bad
So true. Good catch. One of the reasons I do not mind sitting in the boat when it is raining. Gives the owner a chance to evaluate the dryness reality vs. the desired. Just a clean-up, butyl, and close. Almost like a TV surgeon... :)

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
I'm not a boat mechanic and I don't play one on TV but I do think that using a hose to try and find leak is a good way to do it but not nearly as fun as sitting playing cards etc and looking around

Aug 12, 2014
Universal Marine Montego 25 San Pedro, CA
Good god it rained like crazy on Friday (SoCal). I happened to be working from home (Long Beach) and it was probably the hardest I've ever seen it rain, and very windy as well. Water overflowed the gutters on our roof and all our neighbors'. Big sheets of water were being blown off the roof behind us - truly incredible.

We were similarly fortunate to not have water ingress. We sure lucked out with our purchase ...

EDIT: The following day, I saw on the news that LB airport had recorded .96 inches of rain in 26 minutes! :eek:

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
I worked Friday afternoon / evening at LGB Airport. The parking lot and the roads into the airport were closed due to almost 3 feet of water ...outside the hanger it looked like a river at 5PM. I am fortunate that the boat stayed fairly dry.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Watched the images on Passage Weather. The oncoming storm image looked like a river of water hitting the SoCal coast.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
The wonderful folks at Catalina are manufacturing a new "wedge washer" for me and will ship it next week sometime. It's wonderful that the manufacturer still supports a product made in 1996.