O'Day 222-Trailering

Nov 7, 2016
O'Day 222 Paris Landing, TN
My O'Day 222, when on the trailer, is partially resting on the keel. Is this O.K. or should the boat be elevated enough to prevent the keel from bearing some of the weight on the trailer?

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I can't tell from your photo how the boat is supported (bunks or pads), but I think in most cases, a little weight on the keel is fine.

My boat sits on jack stands over the winter, and we always put some weight on the keel.

greg

Nov 7, 2016
I can't tell from your photo how the boat is supported (bunks or pads), but I think in most cases, a little weight on the keel is fine.

My boat sits on jack stands over the winter, and we always put some weight on the keel.

greg
Thanks Greg. I re-posted a photo of the boat on the trailer w/bunks. They are in bad need of replacement.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I had a 222 on a trailer. There was a fore-and-aft padded 2x6 for the entire keel to rest on. I might have had a roller at the aft end, but I'm not sure. Also, the 2x6 spread the load over ALL of the cross-members. I had the 2x bunk boards also, but they did not come way up the side like yours do. The idea for boats on trailers and those up on land it the weight rest mainly on the keel, and the bunkboards or stands keep the boat upright.

Your setup rests a lot of weight on just the places where the rollers are.

Nov 7, 2016
Thank you so much for the info. I plan to rectify this very soon. I'll look at some photos to see how others set theirs up.

Aug 28, 2006
Oday Mariner Waterford, CT
Thank you so much for the info. I plan to rectify this very soon. I'll look at some photos to see how others set theirs up.
I just picked-up an O'Day 222 that is its original trailer (equipped with rollers) and the keel does not rest on the trailer. Not saying that is right or wrong, but it is probably how it came from the dealer back in the day.

20161016_164119.jpg

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Boat should rest on keel, bunks just keep boat from falling sideways. A guy who hauled his new to him 192 this past fall had roller pods much like djmeaney (and mine) but his aft pods were pressing in and denting the hull. For the original poster, I have never seen bunks wrap up around the sides of the boat like that. Just looks wrong on so many levels. They could probably be shortened from the front. Here's a pic of a Precision 18. It rests on keel, and the bunks just support it sideways. I tried to lighten the pic so you could see the bunks against the bottom paint.

IMG_2587.jpg

Nov 7, 2016
Thank you Ron, DJ and Brian for the help. I didn't have a clue as this is my first large boat. But, now I know what I need to do. Brian, your photo came out great and solidified my idea of how to fix my problem. I guess I can do some measuring to know how high to put the bunks so as to get the bunks the right height? I also plan to build a keel pad to rest the keel on. Thank you all again...Randy

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="djmeaney, ... and the keel does not rest on the trailer. Not saying that is right or wrong, but it is probably how it came from the dealer back in the day.[...QUOTE]

Walk through a marina with land storage and see where the keels are resting- both hauled and trailered boats..

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
When the boat is in the water, the load is distributed over the whole bottom of the boat. On the trailer, if the bunks support the load, you have the full load of the boat concentrated to a small area. You don't really want that. Figure one third of the boat's weight is in the keel. The support around the keel is design to hold its own weight in the water. So that is how strong the glass is around the keel and then some. The designer of my boat states the full load of the boat should be on the keel. That is the strongest part of the hull.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
The manual page covering the 222 /192 indicates the majority of weight should reside on the kee
Thanks, KB, it's good to have this confirmation. I think this is fairly standard for small keelboats like this.

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
My O'Day 222, when on the trailer, is partially resting on the keel. Is this O.K. or should the boat be elevated enough to prevent the keel from bearing some of the weight on the trailer?
This gentleman, unfortunately deceased now, is the undisputed guru of the O'day22 or 222 series. Check out carefully his albums. ( http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?media/users/joe11688.75367/albums ). and particularly his modifications. He also has an album on on trailer set up for the 222. Notice he has two pages of albums, don't miss the second page of albums and modifications. His modifications album has several sub albums in it.
IMG_1781.PNG

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
You're right, exactly right, the boat is placed on its keel on blocks and then the supports our carefully adjusted to keep the hall from oil canning. I've had my boat in the yard many times and carefully observe them placing my boat on blocks, a service which they charge dearly for!

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
A few years back I altered a power boat trailer to fit my 1980 O'day 22. I replaced the standard 3 inch roller bracket mounts with 8 inch. I then attached a 2 by 10 onto two pieces of angle iron. That was used to secure the keel.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2016
Hey Folks, this is some awesome stuff!!! Especially the albums. I regret that gentleman has deceased as he was a master at rigging and he made notes. This forum has been a BIG blessing to working on my 222.

Oct 1, 2009
American Sail 18 American Sail 18 Everywhere
If it's a keelboat and it's either on land, on a boat lift or on a trailer the keel must be supported. I discussed this with Catalina Yachts.

You should use a Travelift with wide straps If you are lifting boat off water, trailer or land. A forklift is not advised

Last edited: