Water under hull continues!!!!!

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
Macgregor 1993 26x Ky lake
Pulled boat our cleaned and reseated hatches with 5200 DM. Left boat on trailer for 24 hours. That was on Monday. Drove in to check boat tonight and more water!!!!! Feeling discouraged. Going to get it dried back out tomorrow and try to find source. Is there anyway the ballast tank could be busted?? And how can I tell?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Has the boat been on the trailer the whole time? If not, has it rained? You have some valuable troubleshooting data based on the answers to those questions, as some variables may be eliminated.

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
It was in the water when discovered the leak. Took it out after finding source. Now back in water. Is there any way to check the ballast tank?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Put it on the trailer, block the trailer and get the hose.
Macs are notorious for chain plates leaking. Did it rain?

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
You could completely fill the ballast tank while the boat is on the trailer provided the boat is level. Let it set overnight and check again for water.

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
What is the chain plate???where is if located??

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
I live about 50 miles from boat. Don't think it has rained.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
What is the chain plate???where is if located??
the chain plates are on each side of the boat about mid ship ...your mast cables hook to them ...i dont have pics of your brand but maybe some one on here does and would be good enough to post them

Aug 1, 2011
What you have not said is how much water, and where it is. It's unlikely (although possible) that the ballast tank is leaking. The chain plates take a lot of lateral stress in this design, and if they are not bedded with good quality silicon regularly (maybe every other year) they will leak. Our C model would put 3-4" of water into the bilge, but usually only on one side, serving as a not so gentle reminder that it was time to peel the old silicon off and put new stuff on. It's a 20 minute job - if that's what it is.

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
I am pretty sure it is coming from under boat. Not any rain here lately.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Check the archives, I think there was a posting about filling the tank with compressed air to test for leaks but there was also a warning about not exceeding 3-4 PSI as the tanks were not designed to withstand much pressure. Tracing leaks can be a time consuming problem; if the leak is not major and the boat can be sailed then I would just take my time and observe and continue to eliminate other possibilities.

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
There was water in the floor today. About 1 inch. Under seat was prob 2 inches from the top. More water today than before. I was shocked to see it up in the floor today. It has been under the floor before today. Under seats and in berth.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
butyl tape would be a better fix for the chaine plates ....read mainsails article on bedding with butyl tape

Aug 1, 2011
butyl tape would be a better fix for the chaine plates ....read mainsails article on bedding with butyl tape
Normally yes, but the seal is at the cover plate above the deck, and it's not much of a fit. We found good old GE Bathtub silicon worked very well, given the movement and extreme temperature swings up here.

Aug 1, 2011
If the water is coming from the ballast tank, you've got yourself a problem, unless the leak is from the keel bolt? Did somebody run the boat into an immovable object in reverse with the keel down?
There's really only two places that could leak, unless there's some serious structural damage, the keel bolt and the vent area including the fill seal.
Put the boat on the trailer and and start tearing into it.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
There was water in the floor today. About 1 inch. Under seat was prob 2 inches from the top. More water today than before. I was shocked to see it up in the floor today. It has been under the floor before today. Under seats and in berth.
Ok that is a significant leak and nothing to ignore. Check with Tatoo Yachts in Stuart, FL as they acquired the molds for the MacGregor and the company is run by the daughter of the original builder. They might be able to provide some info on how to properly test and handle repairs to the water ballast tank.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Considering there was less water coming in before you rebedded the inspection plate that would be the first place that I would look. It's likely that it didn't seal well. That's why I don't like inspection ports or plates below the waterline. They are very difficult to seal. As I said before, I would recommend a fiberglass patch, even if that means adding a hole from the bottom to access the centerboard bolt. A ballast leak to the outside water is trivial. a ballast leak to the inside of the hull is a problem.