Adjustable split backstay length

Nov 15, 2014
Catalina 30T 5830 Green Bay
Looking for feedback on where split in backstay can/should be located. 1990 C30 tall rig, we purchased in spring 2014.
1. In 2014, without making any adjustments to standing rigging, split "yoke" was about at the back of my neck (I'm 6' 1"). Perfect spot to catch hairs on the Admirals head!
2. In 2015, tuned rig. Mast rake was about 1% +\-. Backstay yoke was a little lower than 2014.
3. In 2016, got new furler and headstay. Tuned rig so mast rake is about 1% +\-. Backstay yoke lower still. Put on Genoa and have sailed 1/2 dozen times. Now yoke is down to about the middle of my back (see pic - distance from yoke to split tang is about 32"). This is with backstay as tight as I can get it. I expect some of this is caused by stretch in new headstay. Haven't checked mast rake again
image.jpeg

So after all that:
a. Thoughts on why yoke is so much lower than in 2014?
b. I am considering replacement of backstay. I am assuming it's original. When I do that I am thinking of shortening upper backstay by 3' and lengthening splits by same amount. Mainly to get yoke above the head of the helmsman. Any operational/functional issues with increasing the length of the split sections?

Thanks!

Attachments

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
With no tension pulled on backstay adjuster your master should be squared vertices and all rigging adjusted for that. When under load sailing you should be able to look up the mast and the mast stays perpendicular with no curve or bend to starboard or port. When you have achieved that you can start using the backstay adjuster to apply bend, usually for heavier air. Having said that you still have another inch of adjustment to tighten the current backstay.

Nov 15, 2014
Catalina 30T 5830 Green Bay
With no tension pulled on backstay adjuster your master should be squared vertices and all rigging adjusted for that.
John - not quite sure what you mean by your first sentence. Could you clarify please? Thanks!

Jul 14, 2015
John - not quite sure what you mean by your first sentence. Could you clarify please? Thanks!
Loosen the backstay tensioner all the way. Then adjust your standing rigging to square the mast

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
We changed ours a few years ago and are very happy to no longer deal with the mouse ears in pictures and pulled hair! Will send you pictures soon!

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
I completely forgot to take pictures of our backstay this weekend, but here are two from the day our friend completed the change.
100_1546.JPG
100_1547.JPG

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
I was afraid you were going to ask that! I have the receipts from West Marine Port Supply but not 100% sure which of these items was used for the backstay. He replaced our mainsheet configuration and traveler too so I think I might confuse things if I guess....... though my best guess is Samson Rope Am-Steel Blue Dyneema SK-75 Single braid. I know he stripped the outside casing off and we are currently looking at it closely (although it looks great still) to be sure its not showing wear.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
LuzSD - Nice work. I'm inspired to convert my own rig.
The block attached to the boat is hidden in the photo. Are you re-using the fiddle block with cleat from the mouse-ear rig?

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
here is a picture of what's missing in my original ones..... does that help you?
we have a brake right there that was installed before we bought the boat and guess that it was used with the spin by PO because its installed 'backwards' but it works great for us now for the backstay since we have not gone spin with this boat (not yet!)

backstay closeup.JPG
Backstay.JPG

Jul 14, 2015
here is a picture of what's missing in my original ones..... does that help you?
we have a brake right there that was installed before we bought the boat and guess that it was used with the spin by PO because its installed 'backwards' but it works great for us now for the backstay since we have not gone spin with this boat (not yet!)

View attachment 125787 View attachment 125788
Looks like a nice setup for ease of use. Problem I have with it is your back stay is a rope vs steel with a rope for adjustment only.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Not at all sure why you see this as a problem....... but all I can tell you is this was rigged by a really talented, accomplished I14 record holder who knows his stuff ... this was his recommendation and this along with the changes he made to our boom vang and a few other adjustments and we are super happy with everything he changed. We are always checking the stripped rope to be sure its not deteriorating as it is always exposed.

Jul 14, 2015
If you are ok with it, that is what matters. I just don't want to trust my mast to rope and plastic pulleys. That's just me.

Jul 6, 2013

View attachment 125787 View attachment 125788
Thanks, LuzSD.
Helps a lot. I don't have a brake there, but I think I can reuse the blocks from my current set-up (Like George da Porge has). Dyneema is high strength and low stretch, so it should work very well.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
I would recommend attaching a line from the upper block to somewhere in the stern. If the pin or line fails then?? I had done that to my prior boat.

Jul 6, 2013
image.jpeg
I'm posting a pic of my new backstay rigging.
I was able to reuse the existing adjusting blocks, so it only cost me a single block and 10' of 3/8" Dyneema.
It really opens up the aft space for the skipper! Compare to George da Porge's original post.