1977 C30 dismasted

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
I had the unfortunate luck of being dismasted last weekend sailing in the Great South Bay of Long Island. Conditions were not out of the ordinary, wind NW 10 - 15 with gusts. I had the main up and the jib reefed to 110. Out of no where a lower shroud snapped at the turnbuckle. It happened so fast I never even saw the mast snap in two. In a second everything was gone, over the side. With in 10 minutes two tow boats and the police were on scene. I was cut free and powered to my slip. The mast with the sails still up was floated and towed to a marina. An insurance survey was done and I am awaiting the results.
I noticed a post here by a Newport owner who got a lot of good advice. I could use some. I contacted Catalina in Florida. They have an extrusion but the shipping will cost as much as the mast. I'm in NY. Any ideas where I can find something closer. Also any ideas on how I might repair. It was a fairly clean break.
Lastly, my advice to you all if you have a boat 30 years or older you should seriously consider replacing the standing rigging.

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Thanks, I've seen that. They don't have the exact shape and size but may have to do.

Jan 6, 2010
Axel,

I looked at your profile, but found no info on year of boat.
That aside, your failure to me begs questions.

A lower shroud failure should not cause the mast to fail unless maybe in extreme conditions.
Judging by your post, the conditions were not severe enough to cause this failure.
Something else was amiss. Did the mast fold at the spreaders? if so, did years of electrolysis cause this failure?
Aluminum & current can cause electrolysis & weaken the structural integrity.

Hopefully you're fully insured & the insurance company will eat most of the cost.
I will bet that you have 304 S.S. strand cable & swaged fittings for your rigging. If so, NEVER again
use 304. there is too much carbon in the material that will cause rusting & failure at the swage fitting.

For your repair, specify only 316 S.S. cable replacement. Unfortunately, all your rigging should be 316 S.S.
You also have the option to go with mechanical compression fittings in lieu of swage.

Sorry you had to endure this pal but, the fix will be a better boat.

ps: update your profile with age of boat etc. This will be very helpful to the guys here if you have future questions.

CR

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Lastly, my advice to you all if you have a boat 30 years or older you should seriously consider replacing the standing rigging.
And the chainplates. I had an upper chainplate snap on me a few years ago. Heavy wind...thankfully I didn't have the main up. Replaced all shroud chainplates. A couple of years later on an easy broad reach, the stem head snapped sending the roller furling gear and genny off like a kite. Luckily, no other damage both times. Stuff's gonna' happen. This isn't one of those, "don't fix it if it ain't broke" times. Fix it before it does breaks.

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
CR, the year of the boat is in the title of the post. It's a 1977, and in mint condition (other than the rigging). I did extensive cabinet work, fully varnished interior, etc, No doubt the cause was old age related. I am not 100% sure if I am going to fix. The insurance had mentioned that they may total it. I can still take the money and fix or say my goodbyes and buy a newer boat. I considering all my options.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Sorry you lost the rig. Thanks you for sharing the experience. FWIW when we bought our boat the neighbor a few slips down worked at a Catalina dealer in the 80s, told us to upgrade the rig as they were lightly built.

Our cushions and cabinets are still crap but our rig is new but for the stick itself. Money and time well spent, knock on wood.

Good information about the SS types CR, hope I remember to pay attention to that next time around.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Put a new spar and standing rigging on the boat and at least you will be sure that the nightmare you just experienced will not be happening again. When you buy a bargain boat it may very well be because of this kind of neglected / deferred maintenance. Glad you are OK. That must have been a very bad day!

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
If the insurance company totals you could buy another identical boat and take all your good stuff off and put on other the C30 made a lot of them and there is a lot out there 2 at my marina and ones for sale

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
If the insurance company totals you could buy another identical boat and take all your good stuff off and put on other the C30 made a lot of them and there is a lot out there 2 at my marina and ones for sale
And still not know the true age of the rig, I would get new spar and chainplates to go with the new shrouds on the boat you have.

Nov 1, 2009
Catalina 27 Worton
There is a Catalina 30 standard rig 1984 or 85 at Green Point Landing in Maryland bring parted out.