Anchor Bridle and Snubber (DIY Project)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hey All

Wanted to share a few pics of my new DIY snubber set up.

I wanted a bridle so I can anchor from the stern in modest weather. I can get more air into the cabin that way. And there has been talk on the forum lately about the value of snubbers so...

Anyway, If nothing else, the bumpers will act as floats near the boat and keep the line visible.
IMG_2434.JPG

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
Be careful with a stern only anchor. Those football players were lost in the Gulf a few years ago I think due to a stern only anchor on their fishing boat.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I think I see the line running over the fenders, but want to confirm that your fenders are not going to hold the weight of the boat or anchor.
Otherwise, I think it will give you a lot more air!
You could even unfurl your jib a little and haul it tight, maybe tie it off to the deck or mast to hold your bow off the wind. Like an anchor riding sail. You would only need to unfurl about 12 inches to act as a vane.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
looks like the fenders are snubbers. if its rough enough to pop the fenders, I would worry about that snap.

I would upgrade the snap to a shackle.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Be careful with a stern only anchor. Those football players were lost in the Gulf a few years ago I think due to a stern only anchor on their fishing boat.
uh, IIRC, a Norther front came in, they snagged the anchor, it got rough, and rather than cut the line they tied it to the stern and tried to power it up.... and flipped it, in the gulf, in winter. the guy tha lived sat on the upside down hull.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...yers-boat-in-gulf-accident-that-killed/987524

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I think you'd do better to use any of the myriad of wind scoops over the forward hatch, and a normal bow anchor setup. There are many kinds, from Davis, to rain covers, to 4 way that channel wind from any direction. You'll get air moving, and you'll allow the boat to ride nicely to any waves. I find waves (or boat wakes) slapping the transom to be annoying.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think I see the line running over the fenders, but want to confirm that your fenders are not going to hold the weight of the boat or anchor.
Yep!

The bridle makes a run around the fender but ultimately the strain would be carried by the bridle. I only plan on using this in moderate weather.

Fair winds,

r

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
So you let out the anchor and then how does the bridle attach? Then you have to bring it back in. Are you on a lake mostly? If it's calm I would give it a go if it didn't tangle with the stuff on the stern.

All U Get

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
it's not so much the stern anchor that is the problem ..as it is trying to break it loose by powering up and pulling on the anchor ....somthing is going to give either the anchor is coming up (not likely) or the stern is going to go under water and fill the boat and sink.....

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Ok so a sailboat has a lot less power its little outboard or even if it was a bigger boat with inboard than a power boat and can't make enough power to flip over like that little fishing boat also sail boats have center boards ballast and most are self righting to overcome odd pressure you may induce from stern with anchor

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
I would be concerned about retrieving Anchor in building seas. You have to motor stern first into waves. Not ideal. Not saying can't do it but need to think more about the situation.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Transom hung rudders take a beating when presented to weather.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
It seems to me one could walk the anchor line to the bow and bring it in if that's necessary.
There have been many posts telling of the benefit of a stern only anchor (no more dancing while at anchor.)
In moderate weather I think it's worth a try. I'm not sure how they intend to attach to the rode to the bridle, but
I think there are several methods that should work. I personally don't use a snubber because I use 3 strand
nylon rode after the chain.

Can't a H26 simply raise the ridder?
Ken

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I will agree snubbers are the way to go, sometimes...
we use snubbers on our dock lines and even in the roughest conditions when tied against an exposed dock and a barge goes by, and the boat is surging up and down three feet, there is NO jerking felt inside the boat.

the bridal and fenders is inventive thinking.
the fenders wont last as long as a dedicated snubber would, and im not sure that on a properly sized nylon anchor rode, what the benefit is by having an additional snubber installed.... with the proper scope out, there would be enough spring in the line.

I have 1/2" rode, and anchor out in sustained 30-35mph winds quite often (Columbia Gorge) and when the winds get gusty I will toss out another anchor, and still, we dont have any jerking of the anchor rode. this is with 70-100ft of nylon paid out behind the 50ft of 5/16" chain, from the bow....

and Yes, be careful, because I too had a boat sink that was anchored from the stern.... but it was a powerboat so it didnt matter;)

the bridal itself wont keep the boat from swinging on the anchor, whereas a single line from stern cleat on the quarter, could keep the boat from sailing around on the anchor....

try it out and let us know how it works or if it needs a bit of tweaking to get the boat to hang right....

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
check out the Rigger's Apprentice, they have suggestions on bridles and snubbers. the old fashioned attachment for snubber to anchor line was a rolling hitch, not a stainless hook or shackle.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
1 It seems to me one could walk the anchor line to the bow and bring it in if that's necessary.

2 I'm not sure how they intend to attach to the rode to the bridle, but

Ken
Having the opportunity to snag a few lobster buoys with our previous boat we did what Ken suggests with point one. My question is point two, "How do you attach that hook to the rode?"

We have a Jordan Series drogue on board (250 feet) and I've gone through several mental exercises on how to retrieve that sucker when we get close to shore.

All U Get

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
We have a Jordan Series drogue on board (250 feet) and I've gone through several mental exercises on how to retrieve that sucker when we get close to shore.
this would be a very good argument for and electric winch i would think