Who is in Charge

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
We have recently returned to NC. When my daughters were young under 10, I would frequently let them hold the tiller of our 21 foot sailboat, (no motor) while I adjusted the sails, got the boat ready to bring it into, or leaving the dock. As the direction of the boat needed slight changes I would tell them exactly what to do with the tiller. ( I am completely capable of sailing the boat by myself and in this situation, with out the child, I would lash the tiller.)

In this case who is driving the sailboat?

I would like to understand "Driver" in this situation. ie is the driver of a small sailboat that is not under power, the person at the tiller or the person in command of the boat?

We are looking at a similar situation with my young grandsons and I would like to know.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
If you look up the California case regarding Bismark Dinius, you'll find that the person holding the tiller, though not technically the captain or owner of the boat, was the one charged.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Here's my take. It seems the rules about who's driving are the same as an automobile. The person driving is the person responsible at that moment. If you're a passenger in the car you own while your mother-in-law is driving and she causes a wreck, she is the one charged. (In her mind it'll always be your fault for marrying her daughter but that's a whole nother story.) I would imagine that if your young grandsons are too young to be held responsible then the powers that be would come after you. That's different from what we learned in ASA 101. We learned that the skipper is ultimately responsible for the safety of all aboard even if he is not driving at the time. But it seems law enforcement and judges feel quite differently.

p.s. I am not a lawyer and don't play one on TV. I don't even like what I have come to believe is true. That's just how it appears to me.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
If you want an answer to a question of philosophy, you have come to the right place.

Conversely, if you want to know how to properly interpret a question of law or liability, you might want to ask elsewhere like a lawyer who understand marine or maritime law.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The person at the tiller would seem to be in direct responsibility of the, uhm, direction of the boat. Whether they follow your directions as to where the tiller and, therefore, the boat should go, may be another story.

Then, of course, there are the legal implication brought up by MS and Kermit, which may also have serious legal implications by setting (horrible) precedent.

The bigger question is how Kermit's father-in-law feels about him marrying his daughter.

Feb 26, 2004
The person at the tiller would seem to be in direct responsibility of the. uhm, direction of the boat. Whether they follow your directions as to where the tiller and, therefore, the boat should go, may be another story.

Then, of course, there are the legal implication brought up by MS and Kermit, which may also have serious legal implications by setting (horrible) precedent.

The bigger question is how Kermit's father-in-law feels about him marrying his daughter.

You may also want to discuss the implications of a skipper/captain of the boat vs. the helmsperson responsibilities with the children.

Sep 25, 2008
OP: How do you personally handle this situation. Do you let underage sailors learn to handle the boat or do you follow the law and wait until they are 21. Assume a small boat that can be single handed.

I understand there is a difference between a young person at the helm of a 40 footer and boat that can be single handed.

Feb 26, 2004
Do you let underage sailors learn to handle the boat or do you follow the law and wait until they are 21.
Not sure I follow. Do you mean that one can't drive a boat until they're 21?

a young person at the helm of a 40 footer and boat that can be single handed.
There are lots of 40 foot boats being singlehanded.

Sep 25, 2008
I was reading this morning and read in the law that you had to have a valid drive's license to operate a boat in NC. HOWEVER I now see that a 12 year old can take a boat out by himself if it is less that 15hp, there are a couple of other areas where the legal age in 14 to 16 depending on condition.

So I may have went off, before fully understanding what NC required.

With the further information then if a 5 year old is at the tiller of a non mechanically powered sailboat that would be legal???

Grandchildren are less than any age mentioned in the regulations that I saw.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
If one cannot legally enforce or enter into a binding contract with a minor then it could be assumed, I would think, that one cannot abdicate his or her responsibility for the boat and crew to a minor, either. Now, let's say, for argument's sake, that experienced minor child, with permission, takes his girlfriend out for a sail, on a nice day, in the lake and something happens. Who, then, would be held responsible? Is this cut and dry? Is it a depends on ... situation?
Now, if my girlfriend and I, both waaay over the age 21, are sailing in my boat, as we have done for many years, and I hand the helm over to her while I go below and something happens, while I would not personally hold her responsible, who would be legally liable? Me, her, or both?
There has to be some lawyers on this forum that could chime in and shed some light.

Nov 18, 2013
Catalina 310 Campbell River
what would happen if you used the autopilot and gone forward or the head with someone at the helm but not in control? Is auto at fault and be fined?

Feb 15, 2010
Macgregor 26x Salt Spring Island
On a navy vessel (sail or power) the captain is in charge but seldom touches the wheel.

Feb 26, 2004
Now, if my girlfriend and I, both waaay over the age 21, are sailing in my boat, as we have done for many years, and I hand the helm over to her while I go below and something happens, while I would not personally hold her responsible, who would be legally liable? Me, her, or both?
There has to be some lawyers on this forum that could chime in and shed some light.
Suggest you read reply #2

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
We have recently returned to NC. When my daughters were young under 10, I would frequently let them hold the tiller of our 21 foot sailboat, (no motor) while I adjusted the sails, got the boat ready to bring it into, or leaving the dock. As the direction of the boat needed slight changes I would tell them exactly what to do with the tiller. ( I am completely capable of sailing the boat by myself and in this situation, with out the child, I would lash the tiller.)

I would like to understand "Driver" in this situation. ie is the driver of a small sailboat that is not under power, the person at the tiller or the person in command of the boat?

We are looking at a similar situation with my young grandsons and I would like to know.
I believe, and would act accordingly, in the situation you describe, the parent or legal guardian of the under age person, at the time of the incident will be held liable for the under age persons actions....

this may not be so in every state, but it is the law here in oregon....

under this law, if it were in oregon and a man/woman allowed his kid to go out with granddad (who may or may not be irresponsible to allow the kid at the wheel) and something were to happen while the kid was at the helm and grandpa was adjusting sails or making lunch or snoozing or using the head, ect......
ultimately, the man/woman would be legally responsible for the damaged cause to someone elses property for the kids action. no matter if grandpa lives or dies in the accident.

BUT... what will come into play is, Its grandpas boat, so he will be the first named in the lawsuit, and the kids parents will be named second because it was their kid driving and grandpa may say it wasnt his fault.... so now, in addition to the lawsuit brought on by the offended party, it will become a family thing...... but the damages WILL be awarded to the offended party, so it doesnt really matter...
so a person needs to think and take the action necessary to prevent/minimize everyones risk when doing anything, and handing the wheel off to a minor doesnt do this...

this of course is a hypothetical scenario, and several others come to mind, but I think isnt not too far from the way the lawsuit would go...... because if grandpa just took the blame like he should, and paid the damages, there wouldnt be a lawsuit.

the opposite scenario is where the other party is at fault and is suing you anyway, because.... the kid was at the wheel, or you look rich, or because they can..... its an endless guessing game as to what could, should, or might happen in an accident, or what could, should, or might happen in a courtroom because of it.... no matter who is the one actually responsible.

it isnt a cut and dried law that we can predict the outcome of, because there are too many variables that will surround the circumstances of the incident that will sway the judge/jury one way or another...

Last edited:
May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
That's different from what we learned in ASA 101. We learned that the skipper is ultimately responsible for the safety of all aboard even if he is not driving at the time.
I am of the same thought on this as Kermit. Just thought I would throw that scenario out there. What we learned and how the courts interpret things could be another whole story.

Mar 20, 2012
both... there can be many people named in the same lawsuit, those that are found to be innocent of any wrong doing will eventually be excused, the guilty will still carry the burden to make reasonable restitution.... but in the case where you both have a hand in the management of the boat at the moment, there will be no excusing....

Feb 26, 2004
those that are found to be innocent of any wrong doing will be excused, the guilty will still carry the burden to make reasonable restitution....
After the Dinius case, that conclusion is far from secure.

Mar 20, 2012
After the Dinius case, that conclusion is far from secure.
fully agreed Stu, and that was exactly my point here "it isnt a cut and dried law that we can predict the outcome of, because there are too many variables that will surround the circumstances of the incident that will sway the judge/jury one way or another"...

we cant tell what is said, how its said, who its said to, and/or who in the position of power gets pissed off at someone for saying it.... or it could be some other "variable" entirely, but it cant always be predicted.

and the Dinius case was unusual in a few respects, one of which we all know the legal system kinda likes to stick together and ignore the facts when one of their own is in jeopardy....

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Two thoughts on this.. A legally licensed lawyer probably will not let it be known. If he responds to threads, lest his advice be taken as "the law" on the matter, and make him liable for his "opinion" input. /// There is a word that MAY be in the legal mumbo-jumbo, be it govenmental or (For instance) BOAT U.S. web site, and that is "the person in COMMAND" of the boat. Not necessarily the helmperson. That means he/she has the say as to where and how the boat will go. As in: "I'm not allowed to run the train , the whistle I can't blow. I'm not allowed to say how fast or slow the train can go. The whistle I can't toot, nor to ring the bell, but let the damn train jump the track and see who catches hell." As I tell my crews my boat motto is, "The boat don't hit nothin', and nothinin' hits the boat."

Last edited: