Youth Sailing

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Today I was watching the America Cup racing on the Hudson river and at one of the intermissions they were talking about a youth introductory sailing program - that caught my attention. Years ago, the commodore of Shoreline YC (Long Beach, Ca) approached me about developing a youth sailing program for the children of members and inner city kids. My first thought about the inner city portion of the program was typical and proved to be incorrect. What he didn't tell me was these boys & girls were all gifted and high achieving student so what showed up to sail on 3 boats was not what I expected. As part of their ticket to participate in the program they had to study the subject of sailing and study they did. They knew the sailing terms and understood draft depth, draft position, twist and angle of attack and these kids took over the boats and really knew how to sail them. I didn't know it at the time but the commodore used my book and chart at a number of teaching sessions he conducted in the evening at their high school.

One thought I had before the program started was how would these inner city ever be able to afford a sail boat and maybe this would be a cruel idea -- after meeting them I realized these kids are the future industry leaders of America. Sailing has been good to me but that Shoreline YC inner city sailing program taught me a life lesson I've never forgotten -- your first thought or impression may not be correct and be prepared to change quickly especially if you're dealing with young folks.
If your sailing club or YC has youth sailing program you should join it.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I agree. Teaching young kids to sail is one of the most rewarding and fun things you can do.:) Teaching married couples together...not so much. :eek:

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
My club was hit and miss with trying a youth program but we had a hard time keeping the small boats ( a handful of Lasers and Sunfish) maintained and last year the board decided to divest itself of the small boats.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
My club was hit and miss with trying a youth program but we had a hard time keeping the small boats ( a handful of Lasers and Sunfish) maintained and last year the board decided to divest itself of the small boats.
That's really sad. Lasers and Sunfish are great boats for young teens. I'm just hoping to be able to find a good club where I can teach young people to sail when I move to Minnesota.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
For Youth Sailing to succeed you need to have constant access to the water. Kids are SOCIAL creatures and want to be with friends, not old people. Sailing programs need to account for this and have a wide enough base of young people always there so kids come back after a week in a sailing camp, because sailing is fun but also because THEIR FRIENDS ARE THERE.

WYC runs the local Community sailing center, that uses a fleet of 20 420, 20 Lasers and 40 Optis. ALL of the instructors are under 20, and the program is calculated to have a continuous span of ages there at all times during program hours. Kids get hooked, but they have to have friends there or all is lost.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Justin, our new adult sailing classes have resulted in new adult family memberships for our club....It is a
really cool program that seems to be a hit among Wichita adults........the jr. sailing program is top notch..we've had children compete successfully in regattas as far away as Nantucket (or Martha's Vinyard) and our jr. sailor Lisa N. won the Rolex Yachtswoman of the Year award in Stockholm....the adult sponsors and family support is the key...that and have boats available every day for the children and youth to check out.. I wish I had access to programs like these when I was a puppy. Pat

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Me too Pat. Jackie signed us up for Red Cross sailing as a birthday present and the rest was history!
We're going to be organizing another sailing day for our church teens (CYO) again this summer. It kinda died out during the drought.

May 17, 2004
We didn't use small boats because we didn't have any. We used a couple of C30's. The first hour consisted of explaining draft depth, draft position, twist & angle of attack and how these elements were effected by each sail trim control for the main and jib. They absorbed that stuff so fast that it was amazing.

The next step was supposed to be try each position on the boat under sail. They asked me to just tell them how it worked instead of showing them so as we motored out that's what I did. I almost thought they were thinking "we're way ahead of you dad!!". Even though the first groups were inner city kids -- they were GIFTED inner city kids in accelerated education programs. The next groups of kids were children of members and just as sharp.

Both groups were easily bored and I needed something to perk their interest --- I asked them if they'd like to race the other boat!! They were all for that idea so I had the other C30 come along side and off we went. Both boat crews were hooting & yelling and a good time was had by all. In fact, they'd have sailed to Catalina Island and back as they didn't want to stop. Back at school they told their friends and other groups that participated told me to skip the lecture -- they just wanted to race the boat!!!

Years later I'd see some of those kid around Long Beach or Belmont Shore and they always mentioned what a great experience it was. Actually, I got more out of it than they did.

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
Don, I enjoyed your description of youth sailing program but believe the requirements set the bar too high for inclusion. In my opinion, the goal should be to introduce the sport to anyone who has interest. Highly motivated types will go on to specialize and excel while people with less advanced interest may still continue to learn and enjoy the experience.

I've worked through Boy Scouts/Venture Crews and took a two-prong approach. For simple, have-fun-on-the-water sailing, we built our own boats (PD Racers, very simple and cheap) while conducting formal training on my sailboat. At a minimum, safety, rules of the road, basic boat operation and other essential elements were taught. For the formal training, we went into more details (including teaching the basics of sail trim using cards produced by a certain person on this site!) We try to end with a round the buoys race which, for me, is a satisfying highlight of the weekend.

Some kids are one-and-done, others come back for every event.

There is room for all different approaches but I believe it's important to show that there does not need to be a high barrier to enjoying the sport.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I became enamored of sailing when in my teens sailing a few times on a Santana 22, owned by my high school friend's family, on Millerton Lake in the Sierras above Fresno, CA. I was 35 before I had a chance to really do anything about it; that is, until after finishing college, getting a job, and moving to St. Petersburg, Florida in the late 1980s. Never was part of a youth "sailing program" not that I have anything negative to say about them. I bought into a 20' partnership boat, joined the St. Petersburg Sailing Association, and then actively raced and cruised in and around Tampa Bay for several years b/f returning to California. I can only say--if you want to do it there's a pathway. If one has to wait for a carpet to be rolled out, then it will likely never take hold.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
I became enamored of sailing when in my teens sailing a few times on a Santana 22, owned by my high school friend's family, on Millerton Lake in the Sierras above Fresno, CA . I was 35 before I had a chance to really do anything about it; that is, until after finishing college, getting a job, and moving to St. Petersburg, Florida in the late 1980s. Never was part of a youth "sailing program" not that I have anything negative to say about them. I bought into a 20' partnership boat, joined the St. Petersburg Sailing Association, and then actively raced and cruised in and around Tampa Bay for several years b/f returning to California. I can only say--if you want to do it there's a pathway. If one has to wait for a carpet to be rolled out, then it will likely never take hold.
Good point Gambit. I was introduced to to sailing when I was 16. Even then I realized that it didn't have to be a "rich man's sport." At 18 I built a sailing canoe that got ruined when a speed boat crashed into me during her maiden voyage. Over the next few decades work and raising a family took over but I still dreamed of sailing. It wasn't until I bought a Sunfish at age 47 that I finally got a chance to sail again. It's now been 40 years since I took that sailing class in high school but the fond memories are still with me.

Sep 21, 2014
MacGregor 25 Seabrook
Having run a youth seamanship program on a classic sailing vessel for 13 years, I am firmly in the camp that the best education for youth lies in sail education. You have real-world applications of just about every academic discipline in sailing. Mathematics are crucial for both navigation and racing. Sails are set and adjusted according to sound scientific principles. Aerodynamics and hydrodynamics play a hand not only in vessel design, but in safe operation and performance as well.

But I've always believed that the most valuable aspect of sail education lies in the organization. A sailboat crew is more like operating in a corporation than any other sport in modern America. Everyone has a list of assigned tasks and the success of the whole depends on everyone being "on their game" at all times. Unlike most sports, where there is usually one player in control of the ball or puck at any given moment, success in a sailboat race depends on every single crewmember doing their job or jobs at all times. In racing, it's the organization that wins or loses races, not one individual crewmember.

One of the most rewarding things about my time teaching kids to sail, came from watching them grow both individually and as a crew. I came to expect that one point, sometimes earlier in the training process and sometimes later, when they went from an eclectic, ragtag group of individual kids into a cohesive crew. There was almost an audible snap when it happened. It was an amazing thing to see and I am still in touch with a number of those kids. They will still tell you that it had been the most formative activities they had in their lives.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2016
Hunter 33 Anacortes, WA
Having run a youth seamanship program on a classic sailing vessel for 13 years,
Would like to get some more information about your Youth sailing program on a classic sailing vessel. The Coupeville Maritime Heritage Foundation would like to establish such a program, to support our mission of educating youth about the rich maritime heritage on Puget Sound. We operate a 91 year old Ted Geary designed pilothouse schooner (www.schoonersuva.org). I would welcome any hints, tips, and gotcha's you could share with us about such a program.

thanks....

Jim Green
Suva Schedules (Suva.schedule@gmail.com)

May 17, 2004
Would like to get some more information about your Youth sailing program on a classic sailing vessel. The Coupeville Maritime Heritage Foundation would like to establish such a program, to support our mission of educating youth about the rich maritime heritage on Puget Sound. We operate a 91 year old Ted Geary designed pilothouse schooner (www.schoonersuva.org). I would welcome any hints, tips, and gotcha's you could share with us about such a program.

thanks....

Jim Green
Suva Schedules (Suva.schedule@gmail.com)
Jim: Your setup (boat & foundation) would be perfect for introducing youngsters to sailing. The trick is a logical approach. I don't overwhelm them with info nor do I start in the middle -- in other words talking about the sail trim controls before I explain what they're adjusting, I start with draft depth, draft position, twist & angle of attack, which are ALL the items ALL the sail trim controls for the main & jib are adjusting. I have a both a small & large pond sail boat model I use for demonstration (I use the large model in a classroom). Kids get bored easily and have a short attention span so I give them what they need to know in about 20 minutes and then it's of to pushing and pulling the controls. It's like presenting sail trim info through a fire hose but kids get it -- adults not so much!! It's not complicated setting up a program or using it as an extra for your schooner cruise business. Maybe we could chat about it -- send me a personal message or call.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
KIDS? Two big rules.

1) SMALL BOATS. LET THEM DRIVE. Kids LOVE being in charge of their own mobility. Its why they would rather drive their own beat up bike than ride in your fancy car. NO kid will fall in love with sailing on a big boat where they just pull a rope. Nope. They NEED to drive.

2) DUMP THE THEORY. Tell them enough to get them moving. Then set them loose. Kids are amazing experimenters, and will play and figure our how to go fast all on their own. We put kids in Optis after 10 minutes of shore lessons. After an hour on the water all on their own they totally get it. Draft position, Angle of attack? Twist? Their eyes will glass over. Get them on the water with a sheet in one hand and a tiller in the other.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I think the approach one takes to teaching youth sailing should depend on the goals of the youth program-- I mean the ultimate goals. For example--exposure to sailing among various groups of kids who might not otherwise have much chance to experience the activity (e.g., community program), versus bringing new folks to the recreation of sailing including boat ownership (yacht clubs & charter businesses), versus having a competitive youth sailing program where you might wish to train Olympic-class sailors, etc. (yacht clubs). For a foundation-type program on an historic yacht, the goal would likely be the first one. Most likely kids will not learn much about sailing in a big-boat program (especially a boat that big) but they may come to appreciate sailing to the extent of enrolling in a small boat youth program where they can "drive" the boat, etc.

May 12, 2004
I agree with Jackdaw. Kids get bored to death riding on a 'slow to them' sailboat or listening to theory with terms they don't understand. But, put them at the helm, give them a quick how to and let 'em go. Even kids as young as five or six can catch on to making the boat go in a very short time. I always try to do this with charterers with young kids. One, it gives them something to do besides running around the deck like a bunch of Banshees, ( yeah, there's a no running rule), two, it makes them feel they are part of the process and, three, it just might plant that sailing seed. Contrary to another thread, we DO need new sailors.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Obviously, it depends on the age as to how much a kid can, or will, absorb in a "lesson." Letting one go in say, a sabot, w/ little to no instruction of the basics means that they'll have to be rescued if not taught how to right the boat or even how to keep it from blowing over. Boats and kids will end up down wind and may or may not figure out how to get back up wind whence they started. (We have adults who still can't figure that out too well; I've seen some pretty pathetic stuff in that regard.) :confused:Analogy--a 30-min lesson on the piano or any musical instrument that starts explaining the basics is more productive than letting the kid bang the keys until figuring out how to play a four to five note piece solely from "memory." Eventually, the kid may actually learn to play the piano instead of just how to play with it.

Last edited:
May 12, 2004
I don't think we're advocating just cutting them loose with no sort of instruction at all. On the charter boats, we are all on the same boat. So, that point is moot. On the small Optimists and such there is always, should be anyway, a chase boat close enough to give verbal instructions as the need arises, help right overturned boats, and also retrieve that errant sailor who forgot how to tack upwind. Remember, if it's not fun, they won't be back.