MMSI ? lost radio

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Well I was sailing along out by the Farallone Islands grooving on the new situational awareness that my remote mic provided, happiness. Couldn't last of course, sadly my beloved Standard Horizon HX851 bounced out of my pocket and into the drink. Retrieval was deemed impossible as I was in the middle of a "race" and close to the island and in some traffic, not a good time to go madly circling with a butterfly net.

Now what becomes of my radios MMSI number. I have two radios with that number, one fixed mount still on the boat, and my now lost HX851 floating around somewhere in the Pacific. I would like to have that MMSI deactivated in case some idiot finds it and presses the distress button. However I would still like my fixed mount same MMSI number to work.

I have a call into boat US but no answer yet. Can the Coast Guard even distinguish between my two radios?? Is there some serial # broadcast in addition to the MMSI?

I don't think my second radio was even registered, I just programmed in the same MMSI number and that was it. Was that wrong?

Ideas?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The MMSI number is your boat's unique I.D. or address if you will... It goes with the boat, not the radio. It is used by DSC capable radios to facilitate the Digital Selective Calling features. Your boat's mmsi info is also broadcast over vhf air waves if equipped with a transponder. So..... no you did nothing wrong. But there are conditions you need to be aware of... Here's an excerpt from the article linked above:
Important Notice
All DSC capable radios limit the number of times you can program an MMSI into them. Older units generally allow an MMSI to be logged in TWICE, but the newer models are mostly limited to ONE MMSI login attempt only. If you exceed the MMSI entry attempt limit, the radio will lock out any future attempts, forcing you to send the unit to the manufacturer for reprogramming. Be sure to read the owner’s manual regarding that restriction, and please be careful when initially entering your newly assigned MMSI number into the unit.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
that MMSI number is just one more good reason to make sure your radio is working properly from time to time...if you are not getting out then your MMSI is of no good because it won't get out either...a radio check via the tow boats us channel every time you leave port should be part of the check list prior to shoving off from port just like preflight on an airplane when leaving the ground

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Right, but my issue is I had two DSC radios, and one MMSI #. Now ownership of one of those radios has4e been transferred to a D. Jones. I would like for that radio to no longer call the Coast Guard in my name, but would still like the fixed mount to work.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Right, but my issue is I had two DSC radios, and one MMSI #. Now ownership of one of those radios has4e been transferred to a D. Jones. I would like for that radio to no longer call the Coast Guard in my name, but would still like the fixed mount to work.
You can't uninstall the MMSI remotely... if that's what you're asking. You can cancel your MMSI and get a new to put in your existing radio. But frankly.... I think you're making a big deal out of nothing. Why don't you call the coast guard and ask them what to do? Maybe some help here: http://www.boatus.com/MMSI/MMSI/FAQ

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Got a call into Boat US next stop is I suppose the Coast Guard. Cancel and new seems the cleanest but that means the fixed mount disappears for a while.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
If you are worried about it I think you are going to need to cancel the old number and get a new one. Should be easy as long as the fixed mount will allow you to change the number (and assuming you got the MMSI number from Boat US and not the FCC).

I have a separate number for my handheld.

If you haven't, you might want to check out the FAQ section at the Boat US site.

I have a handheld radio on board my boat. Should it have it's own MMSI number?

If you plan to use the handheld on other boats, you might want a separate MMSI number so that you can update the registration according to which boat it is currently on. If you plan to use it only on one boat, you can use the same MMSI number as the fixed radio.

How do I cancel my MMSI account?
Go to www.boatus.com/mmsi and click the Login option. Login using the login and password that you chose when you registered or that was assigned to you. (If you do not remember your login, choose the option to have it e-mailed to you). Once logged in, choose Cancel MMSI Account from the menu screen.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Well I talked to the Coast Guard (some dude basically but he seemed knowledgeable) , as was mentioned it seems I am making too big a deal of this. If by some remote chance my radio is recovered, and by some remoter chance is activated it seems the coast guard performs some basic sanity checks as to whether this is a legitimate distress call, including telephoning me.

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
1. MMSI goes with boat not radio, no need to change existing MMSI on your fixed mount
2. I believe if I understand correctly where you dropped the radio, its probably salt water, and by now ... two days later ... your beloved radio is saltwater toast ... the probability it would transmit if someone recovered it is next to nothing.
3. Much higher probability we will all accidentally bump our distress button ... here in NY Metro area, there are 2-3 CG calls per weekend during the summer for distress signals that the CG is chasing.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Mo You are right, I think this whole thread is really a mourning process. I have come to the conclusion that the chance this will be found, be operable, be recharged, and then distress call is very low. Wow have you seen the new HX870

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I could try sending it a request for position and see if it answers when it gets down here.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
My boat came with a radio that has DSC. I have no idea what the MMSI number is.
What do you do in a case like that?

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
My boat came with a radio that has DSC. I have no idea what the MMSI number is.
What do you do in a case like that?
Check the manual to the radio, it is stored in the radio and usually retrievable from a menu entry.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Check the manual to the radio, it is stored in the radio and usually retrievable from a menu entry.
The previous owner may not have registered it at all. That was the case with boat I bought 2 years ago. Had a DSC radio, but the PO never registered a MMSI number in it.

But you are correct that if there is a MMSI number in the radio, you should be able to display it via the menu.

Greg

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
On the Standard Horizon it comes up in a splash screen at boot. You usually have to cycle power several times to get the whole number, might be a more elegant way. If you have DSC you should register it as that gives you full function. Most important when you press the distress button the Coast Guard and everybody else gets a message with your position.