Why You Should Inspect Your Foam Air Filter Element

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Just as a word of caution, I found this hole eroded through the foam air filter element when winterizing our Yanmar 3YM30 engine last Fall. The hole was at the point where the air flows into the silencer. My assumption is the element had not been changed since the boat was new in 2008 :cuss:and a diesel engine runs just fine on a little bit of foam...:yikes:
clear[1].png
clear[1].png
AirFilter.jpg

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Don't know why Yanmar hasn't selected a material that does not degrade. I bought some good air filter foam and wrapped a little around the perf metal support.. works like a champ. The Yanmar ones are notorious for turning to plastic sand. Yanmar Air Filter.JPG

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Mine wasn't quite as bad as Claude's but close when I bought her last year. It's on my annual maintenance schedule now until I get a feel for how long they last.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I would not be surprised if half the Yanmars out there are running with just the metal mesh with the foam gone and digested by the engine.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Don't know what you guys are using for air where you are but I'd hate to be breathing that stuff :confused:. I changed my media at eight years because it was eight years old ................ no deterioration, it was just ......... eight years old. I wash it out when it looks a little dirty, about every other year, and the second one still looks good to date. I think I'll hang on to this one a little longer.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I would not be surprised if half the Yanmars out there are running with just the metal mesh with the foam gone and digested by the engine.
Yup! Mine and friend's runs on metal. :). Really its not required. Just the metal silencer is good enough.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Interesting. The 4JH3 doesn't have an air cleaner, just an air baffle. Keep the engine from ingesting wrenches I suppose.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I like that mud dobbers, spiders and other insects can't build nests in my engine :-O

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
When I bought my Hunter 34 I took the air cleaner cover off and found all this crumbly crap surrounding the perforated screen; the foam had disintegrated and the engine swallowed it!!
Octane booster for a diesel?

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
All engines really need an air filter. Dust is death, it scores the cylinder walls. Not much dust in the boat but there is some. The factory filter element for my Universal was a foam sleeve you could see through and cost $25. Can't see how it does any good at all, I found one for a lawnmower that fits for about $5. If it will stop the dust a lawnmower sees it will sure be good enough on the boat.

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Diesels pump a lot of air, and loaded diesels running at cruise have a lot of strain on them. I would not want to guess at the proper air cleaner size. And while I would only use a reinforced, oiled K&N cotton filter, I can find no flow specifications for them, or an application for my marine diesel.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
That's the one I have. No foam present upon inspection. Should I replace?

Jul 4, 2015
Claude ---OMG! Ron... you might be on to something!
It's interesting the same filter on our h30 2GM20F looked new for the 7 years we sailed her.
I found this article in the h36 owner modes:
http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=71&aid=8126&mn=36
where the entire silencer was replaced with a K&N cotton filter, probably like Gunn referred to. Looks interesting.
----------------------------------------------------------
What mods to attach it? Do you have to oil it regularly? Thanks. Ilan

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
Like Gunni, I don't have a filter, nothing. There is the metal body for one but nothing in it. I'm original owner and there never was a filter in it. Yanmar 3JH3E 40 HP 3 Cyl. Diesel. It is enclosed inside an engine compartment with no outside flow from any source and sits below the water line.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
After I bought Windmistress I changed the oil. At the end of the season, the oil was black as night. Decided to check the air filter and, as with many others, found nothing but metal. Reconfigured with motorcycle filter foam, but after giving it more thought and reading an earlier debate on the subject [most contend it's more of a silencer than a filter] I decided the engine compartment was a clean enough environment that I could get away with a "cold air intake" system. Pictures are posted on an earlier thread, but I got stainless flange and had it welded on a stainless tube for the intake. I used a small stainless washable cone air filter on the end.

Jul 4, 2015
The granular crud my rags wipe off the engine every so often says it isn't so clean

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
The issue is what the filter element will keep out of the motor. I'm not sure how big the "granules" you refer to are so cannot say whether a foam filter or something coarser is necessary. My theory is that the most common "stuff" floating around the engine compartment comes from V belt deterioration, which may be faster or slower depending on the alignment and condition of the pulleys. Since the properly dimensioned belt for my Yanmar is available at any auto parts store, keeping a relatively fresh belt on the motor is a small expense and an easy job.