T.V. reception

Nov 2, 2015
hunter 30 bat n.c.
Hello everyone, My copilot cannot leave home without watching t.v. so has anyone tried the HD TV antenna's? If they work on sailboats as shown this will save me a lot of money has anyone tried these?

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
We have one on the roof of our home and another in our RV and both work great. Haven't tried them in the boat though.

Nov 2, 2015
hunter 30 bat n.c.
Cool how well do they work and about how many channels? Where we keep the boat at its not a problem , I worry about this summer when I bring it down to s.c.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Depends on where you are. I imagine those indoor types have pretty low range, it's all about antenna height, just like your VHF. I have antenna at the top of my mast about 45 feet up, and I'm pulling stations from Milwaukee all the way across Lake Michigan, about 80 nm.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Cool how well do they work and about how many channels? Where we keep the boat at its not a problem , I worry about this summer when I bring it down to s.c.
It all depends on what channels are available where you are. When we go to San Diego we get about 60 channels, at Channel Islands Harbor we get about 35. When we go to Lake Diaz we're lucky to get 4 channels.

Nov 2, 2015
hunter 30 bat n.c.
o.k. well atleast I know they do work! I know that it will depend on the area and it can be hit or miss

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Try this website to determine what is available at your anchorage/dock, and where to point your antenna for best reception.

antennaweb.org

It will generate a map and channel listing based upon your location as shown below.
antennaweb.PNG

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
In antennas the HD or Digital designations are mere marketing ploys. If you are going to be close to a TV major market an indoor antenna may be all you need but if you are going to be cruising on or near smaller TV markets you may need and outdoor antenna. It is all a factor of distance to the transmitter tower, obstructions and height of the antenna. An outdoor antenna mounted high on the mast will have the least obstructions and pull in signals from farther away. An indoor antenna will usually seat low and is surrounded by a room enclosure materials and will usually capture less signals. You can get either antenna with a signal amplifier or without it. An amplified antenna will enhance the signals. If you want the best signal reception possible at whatever location you are at I would recommend you get a marine grade, omnidirectional,amplified, outdoor antenna and mount it high up the mast. When underway we run our TV and the antenna amplifier from the inverter.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
That's why I've got and I get better TV in Muskegon than I do at home in Grand Rapids. And there are no local stations in Muskegon. It's all height and lack of obstructions. Boat antennas is 45 feet high and on open water. House antenna is 25 feet high and in the city. Big difference.

Nov 2, 2015
hunter 30 bat n.c.
o.k. I was under the impression that the hd antenna would work while I understand the height with less obstruction would still like to hear peoples use of the hd antenna and how well they work

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i tried the leaf ....it worked but had drop outs all the time ...moved it to the cabin top and it did ok......finally bought a shakespeare an mounted on the push pit rail and no more problems...somethings are just not worth scrimping on

Jul 25, 2007
-Irwin -Citation 40 Wilmington, NC
The best thing on a boat is a omni directional or one which does not have to be aimed. This is because the boat moves and the signal will cut in and out very annoying. As has been said there is no such thing as a HD antenna they are all UHF now. Although not cheap the best antenna is the Glomex and good cabling and connections are as important as the antenna. I wrote this awhile ago but still applies today. http://livingaboardzen.com/tv-onboard/

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
There is nothing special about the antenna. The receiver has to be HD but the antenna is just a tuned (cut to length) piece of wire. Nothing to making your own.
More to the point, do you really want to go sailing with 1/2 the crew watching TV? kinda defeats the purpose does it not? Recommend you try and get the crew involved with sailing the boat and not let them turn into slackers watching TV while you do all the fun stuff. They probably see sailing as boring.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I have one of the RCA 800 flat panel types as seen here... it works well for the local channels, but even though it says omni directional, it CAN be adjusted to get better reception from different stations.... I agree the HD part is pure marketing, AND, even though it is an amplified antennae, it works as well either way, so I dont have it, or use it plugged in.... which is a good feature because if you had only DC power, you wouldnt have power to run it...

there may be better ones out there, but until you see the many different types (and prices) in use, you will never know.
what I like about this one is that it is weatherproof and not as much of an eyesore as others ive seen in use.

Nov 2, 2015
hunter 30 bat n.c.
well I am going to try out the hd antenna couple of you guys have said it works o.k. and its only 10 bucks so what the hell worth a try!!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
You must be kidding $10 for the ant and you will get what you pay,I have a HD TV with CD
player because even the ant with 12 volt/110 power booster will not always get good reception.
Maybe try walmart or Radio Shack TV ant but I have Glomex Ant and the ones sold at WM.
Nick

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i have the shakespeare 15" flying saucer model 3015 and it is doing a great job at about 1/2 the price of the glomex

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
This is what happens when giving free consultations . Good advice always looses to $10 antennas.